Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
because of a family emergency i am in need of some money, i was planning on going to the bank then a friend of mine offered this deal. now i have already made up my mind on what i'm gonna do, just wondered what ya'll would do. i have a stoeger cougar 40s&w 6 mags and 600rds fmj ammo, its been shot less than 50rds. he has a kel tec p11 9mm, 220rds of hp & fmj ammo, 3 mags and 2 sets of replacement sights. he has offered me his stuff and $200 boot, what would ya'll do? thanks

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Ouch. I keep guns and ammo out of my economic loop and look for other collateral when needed. I have an Etsy and eBay option on the side and there is always Craig's list for other 'stuff'. :cool:

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I'd say go for it, you are going to be able to find a new cougar when your circumstances change. I've seen them around here, new for $375 (been eying one :D ).

·
Registered
24,848 Posts
You need to do what you need to do.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Firearms are readily available around here, but the ammo? I would have to ponder that a bit....

·
Super Moderator
27,071 Posts
With the ammo...I would say $300 on top.
Sorry it has to be like that.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
If you can afford to pay the bank back then I would keep my gun and ammo.If not I would negotiate a better deal on the trade.He is trying to take advantage of you.A lesser gun and less ammo because you are in need.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for a different handgun more then needing emergency cash.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Guns are for buying, not selling. I learned that lesson 30 yrs ago. I now wish that I had EVERY gun that I ever sold or traded. I was quick to sell when I was in my 20's.

Selling ammo in today's market...... Now that's a different story. You could easily double or triple your money, and still have your guns.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I ran into a bind years back and had to sell a number of firearms. I still have a lot of regret about selling most of them, to this day. I won't
sell any of my firearms unless I want to, now.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I understand your position especially with the current economic situation many people are faced with the same problem of having to sell some of their cherished possessions. Some time we all have to make difficult decisions and it sounds like you have faced up to it.

I recently read an article that stated since the 2008 recession the majority of "Baby Boomers" have less than $2,300.00 in retirement savings. Many took a bath on their investments and some lost their jobs and had to use their retirement savings to meet daily expenses due to the recession. Fortunately we did not lose as bad on our retirement investments as many people did.

Personally I feel the government and the Demoncrats are partly to blame when they required the banks and savings and loan companies to consider both the husband's and the wife's earning when they wanted to buy a house or even a car. When we bought our first house the savings and loan company wouldn't consider my wife's wages and wouldn't approve our loan as long as we had a car loan too, so I sold the car to a neighbor on paper until we got the loan approved! The loan payment was less than what we were paying for rent on a three room apartment! Once they had to consider both incomes I saw the price of houses increase considerably since home buyers then had access to more money. Is that good or bad? I feel it is somewhat both!

I have seen the time when my folks were hard up and couldn't afford even what some might call necessities growing up on the farm, so I guess I have developed a Fetish about having some cash money available at all times so I do keep enough cash on hand to weather nearly any short term emergency. There have been times when cash money was able to get me some "Smoking Good Deals" plus if an emergency were to develop on a long holiday week-end I would have enough to hit the road without having to wait several days to get money out of the bank or withdraw from my retirement savings.

I recall when I was in high school and working part-time in a grocery store the manager came and said the owner wanted to see me in the office, so I went across the alley into the office and he asked if I had some pay checks that I hadn't cashed, well it turned out I had five or six of them. He cashed them for me on the spot and said not to do that again because it gave the bookkeeper fits. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you are not attached to the guns, Sell it. Im not sentimental and never regret selling things. To me things are things and I can always (usually) repurchase items. I am in the process of lightening the load so to speak of some of the items I just couldnt part with! I have 2, 4 wheelers a golf cart and a small motorcycle I am about to get out of my garage! Havent ridden any of them in a long time! They are paid for but taking up space that I could use for something else.

Things are Things and can always be replaced! Good luck with your decision. I hope that things work out in your favor no matter what you choose to do.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
The answer to your question depends, in part, on how much money you need. If we know that we can better answer the question you posed.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
If you aren't needing a lot of money, you could easily get $200 for 10 boxes of 40, keep 2 for yourself, and still keep your gun. It is starting to turn around slowly on the ammo front so it can be replenished easier than a more expensive gun

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I wouldn't go with a smaller caliber. I would just borrow money from where my wife is hiding hers. She would never find out.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks everyone, i decided to keep the cougar, i called the bank and i can get $300 at $30 a month for 12 months on their easy pay plan. i would rather do that and still have a pistol i love than get one i don't like and i don't like the p11. thanks again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts