Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a gun;

1) Sometimes jams (FTExtract) or case ejects erreticly with little force on the last round in the magazine and
2) Slide often doesn't lock back after the magazine is empty

what would the problem likely be? :???: I've heard of people having the same problem as well.

PS: I don't think it's the magazine(s) since there are no feeding problems, and the slide locks back fine when I manually rack the slide with an empty mag in place.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does it just happen to you? Let somebody else shoot the gun as well. My PT145 has jammed etc every time 3 of my friends shoot it, but if myself or another guy shoot it has never jammed. I attribute it to limp wrisitng the gun (I could also be quite wrong...).

·
Registered
132 Posts
could be a weak mag spring based on your #2. Also, check to see if your slide stop lever spring is slipped or broken. I would recommend you strip down the weapond and clean it very well and inspect it under a light and then go from there.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the last inspection the slide stop looked fine. First I though my thumb was riding the lever but now I doubt that was it.

I'm thinking either extractor is not right...OR something prevents the slide fromg going all the way back (which would explain the failure to lock back issue and the erratic ejection)

Still trying to figure out the last round jamming (anyone has any ideas?) is it possible that ammo in the magazine help the spent cases eject?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree that it sounds like some kind of magazine problem. Weak spring or something else is preventing the follower from coming up forcefully enough, like the mag needs cleaning out. Reliable ejection depends on either the next round in the mag or the follower being in the right place at the right time and a slight delay can cause ejection issues and definitely causes lock back issues. Weak spring/dirty mag related failures usually happen when there is little magazine spring compression as is the case when there is one or zero rounds left in the mag. I have found that even GLOCKs will stovepipe if the magazine is removed prior to firing a chambered round. 22lr guns are the most likely to suffer from dirty mags.

Or, could the recoil spring have been replaced with one that is too strong? People often put stronger than stock recoil springs in 1911s for shooting hot ammo, and the pistol will malfunction with standard ammo.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or, could the recoil spring have been replaced with one that is too strong? People often put stronger than stock recoil springs in 1911s for shooting hot ammo, and the pistol will malfunction with standard ammo.
I though about but the spring is stock (colored at one end)

I have 2 magazines will have to mark them and see if the problem only happens with one of them. btw they don't appear to be dirty...

·
Registered
4 Posts
What kind of Ammo are you using? I know my gun club sells some ammo that is not hot enough to function the action of guns that are built to handle defence ammo . loads of people heading to the gunsmith or store when all they need is a ammo correction.
Hope this helps
Sheldon

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
sounds like a mag problem to me..

either A: the mag spring is seriously wore out
B: you have put the spring back in wrong
C: you are using knock off mags..

i have 2 no name beretta mags for my 92, they feed ok but wont lock back on the last round.. there is a spot on the follower to push the slide catch up for lock back but it does'tn actually push up high enough to do it so i figure its' a mixture of crappy mags and worn spring.

i had to squeeze them a bit with some channel locks, when i first got them the rounds would bind up inside the mag.. having to take the whole damn thing apart adn with some force push them out..

i no longer use them even though with some tweaking they feed ok now.. they're pos mags.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It would help to know what pistol you are talking about?

In general first thought is weak mag spring. or dirty folower

I had a pt 145 mil. that had half the extractor chipped off...hard to notice, but can cause problems...

limp wristing, probably not, but with polomer framed pistols they get alot lighter as you empty the mag, causing more muzzle flip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.