Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What vest or ?? do you guys use for IDPA shooting competitions? Thats about the last thing I need to get to be ready and curious what you guys prefer/like. Links would be good too.

Am I right that what ever it is must completely cover the gun?

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You are so excited about your incoming new OSS and buying up all the things you'll need to shoot competively, and I'm gettin' a real kick out of reading your posts!

Good luck to you in this new undertaking in your life.

Reactions: CompOSS9mm

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I don't know your history, but if I was to need a vest for IDPA I'd take an old BDU top, cut the sleeves off, sew a new hem in and have a winner. Cheap, durable, and fairly breathable. If I understand IDPA it's not a fashion show so no sense going out and spending money on a vest that will only be worn a couple times a month. That's just me, some would say I'm frugal, I prefer the term dutch!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are so excited about your incoming new OSS and buying up all the things you'll need to shoot competively, and I'm gettin' a real kick out of reading your posts!

Good luck to you in this new undertaking in your life.
I use to shoot steel plate matches in the mid 90s with my PT101 and actually did pretty well. Then I got out of guns (woman at the time didnt like them...I was stupid) but I did get into scenario paintball then tactical airsoft so now it only makes sense to get into tactical shooting. As for buy everything up, as my wife I tend to go alil hog wild with ALL my hobbies whether its Mustangs, F150s, R/C cars/racing or guns, Im all in!! lol My goal is to be in the top 5 all this year in the steel plate shoots and IDPA matches to hopefully got some kind of sponsors (Taurus...fingers crossed, lol) for the 2013 season. One can have dreams I guess.

But Im glad I can entertain you Milpro buddy!! Oh and the OSS is here!!!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Have you posted pics in the "Show us your 24/7" thread?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted one in my ordered thread. Ill wait to post a pic in the 24/7 thread till this weekend when everythings here! :)

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
You don't need anything fancy. An unbuttoned shirt works just fine.

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What vest or ?? do you guys use for IDPA shooting competitions? Thats about the last thing I need to get to be ready and curious what you guys prefer/like. Links would be good too.

Am I right that what ever it is must completely cover the gun?
It must comlpletely cover the Gun with Your Arms raised in the surrender position (Wrists above Shoulders) They will check this at regional matches so make sure You're legal if You think You might shoot any major matches in the future.
Also, You want side pockets deep enough to retain a stowed magazine while running, on stages that require a reload with retention You can be penalized if the magazine jumps out of the pocket while completing the stage.
If You can get Your Hand in the pocket up to Your Wrist, You will be OK.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
When I started shooting IDPA about a dozen years ago I bought a vest made by "Royal Robbins", which I think is now "511". It has served me well. I once read a gun writers review that raved about Cabela's Safari vest and it looks like a good buy at $50. Have fun!

·
Registered
420 Posts
It must comlpletely cover the Gun with Your Arms raised in the surrender position (Wrists above Shoulders) They will check this at regional matches so make sure You're legal if You think You might shoot any major matches in the future.
Also, You want side pockets deep enough to retain a stowed magazine while running, on stages that require a reload with retention You can be penalized if the magazine jumps out of the pocket while completing the stage.
If You can get Your Hand in the pocket up to Your Wrist, You will be OK.
Mach5 pretty well sums it up. You'll want a vest with good pockets.

I found a pretty good one on the sale rack at Kohls for $8 or so.

My wife bought me a $80 5.11 or something for Christmas.

I don't have the heart to tell her I like my cheap sale vest better, it's just comfortable. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts