Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been done to death, but yeah. I can get a new stainless PT92 for $550, or a new Cougar for $400. The stainless does look a lot nicer, but it's also more expensive. The PT92 does hold 2 more rounds, and magazines are almost 1/3 less than the cougar, but in reality ill probably only buy one extra magazine. I'll eventually take a CCW class, because my sister that lives a few blocks away got her house robbed, and living in a bad part of town we had our lives threatened on multiple occasions, and the cougar is the smaller firearm.

I do have buddies that I do go shooting with, and I can't say either are berettas, but I could use the "oh, but it technically is made by beretta" line. lol

I always liked the shape of berettas and their guns from all their spinoff companies. I hope that there wont be too much of a biased to the PT92, because after all this is a taurus forum, but let me know what you guys would do.

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
I, personally would spend the extra money to buy the PT92 but that is just me.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
You can find a stainless pt92 on gunbroker.com readily for around $350. With shipping and transfer fee you are looking at around $400. That would be my route. But every decision is personal when it comes to firearms. Pick what you are most comfortable with. That being said I love my pt92. Its my favorite shooter and would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agrees with MG, buy what feels good for you. PT92 was my first gun and will never depart with it. It's a sweet gun. You can fine great deals on gun broker just have to be patient looking for the right auction. Besides the PT92 I have bought all of my guns on gun broker. Few of the reasons was that my LGS didn't have it instock and no eta on delivery. Not sure on the cougar warranty but Taurus gives you a life time warranty, and that's a great plus in my book.

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
While being the larger of the two and not as easy to conceal I would have to choose the PT92 over the Cougar. Taurus history with the PT92 and the lifetime warranty is going to be tough to beat.

You could expand your model number and look for a PT99 which is the PT92 but with adjustable sights. Or the PT100 or PT101 which is the same pistol but in a .40 caliber.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Tough choice, don't get me wrong the PT92/99 is a great gun and I love shooting mine. I you will be needing to conceal carry this gun in the future I would pick the one that is easier to conceal. Unless of course funds will be available later for a better concealed carry gun later down the road.

It's easy to say get 2 separate guns, but hey I'm not footing your bills.

Reactions: jjolin01 and jwc007

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Tough choice, don't get me wrong the PT92/99 is a great gun and I love shooting mine. I you will be needing to conceal carry this gun in the future I would pick the one that is easier to conceal. Unless of course funds will be available later for a better concealed carry gun later down the road.

It's easy to say get 2 separate guns, but hey I'm not footing your bills.
Although its an individual choice, im not a fan of the "smaller is easier to conceal". With the proper equipment (holster/attire) even the largest handguns can be easily concealed. Sometimes a different holster, looser shirt, or a simple lightweight vest is all you need.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I have 3 PT-92's and they were all around $400.
Picture 005.jpg Picture 042.jpg Picture 044.jpg

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish they still made the blued one with the gold trim and rosewood grips, i'd pay closer to $600 if i could find one of those, if it were new.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You can get the PT92 at lower prices, e.g., Grabagun.com has the stainless at $481 (I think 10 shipping). You would also have to add the FFL transfer fee.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Both are good pistols. As others have said, the lineage of the PT92 and the lifetime warranty are hard to beat. The Stoeger Cougar's lineage is just as good. The Cougar's rotating barrel will radially dissipate a portion of the recoil energy, leading a softer perceived recoil impulse than other pistols.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
You should definitely pick the gun most comfortable for YOU. While concealing the PT92 effectively might be a little more difficult than the Cougar, it is possible. I for one, if choosing for carry, would go for the smaller gun. But that's just me. Let me reiterate, choose the gun YOU feel the most comfortable with.

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
Your immediate need is for concealable personal protection, and on that note, the Cougar wins by virtue of being smaller. It's a very good quality handgun and I know several people who own and carry it.
The only way I can conceal my PT92 is with a Shoulder Holster, with a light cover garment, which is not always convenient.

That said, there is yet another competitively priced alternative, if you can find one.

The Taurus PT-111, a 12 +1 9mm, shown here in comparison to my Walther PPK/S

Taurus PT-111 9mm vs Walther PPK/S .380 size comparison

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong here. I have never owned a Cougar, but they have a great reputation.

The PT92 is my favorite 9mm, so I'll go with that one. The Cougar's advantage is size, the downfall is the dreaded Beretta safety.

Whichever blows your skirt up is the right one for you. You will pick a winner. ;)

Reactions: jjolin01

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
While the Cougar's action system may result in a lower recoil impulse, it goes into a smaller, lighter package, that may well not absorb the recoil as well. In other words, it might equal out. Smaller is nice in CCW. However, you talk about "future" CCW. Today, as you will be using it for home defense, I'd simply choose the one that best fits me.

Also, if you CCW, especially in a part of town there you've already received death-threats, you may well stand a greater chance of actually using it. Net result? Even if the shooting is clean, the gun now resides in evidence until the Grand Jury rules on it. You now have NO gun, and may well have friends of the deceased looking to discuss it with you.

If you own a gun for CCW, you need another gun, just in case you use it.

Then, stainless resists rust better than blued steel. Sweat from the summer humidity, rain or snow, or even a lawn sprinkler, or a trip and fall into a puddle, can result in a soaked gun and holster. Bad on that blued finish, especially after carrying a while, and that fine finish starting to wear through. Leather holsters, and even some synthetic holster aren't "automatically dry" because you wiped them down, either. They require time to leach out any remaining moisture. Chemicals in them may actually increase the rusting potentials, too. So, a spare holster might just be handy. Again, that stainless finish resists these issues much more successfully, especially, again, on a gun showing some finish wear from carry.

Many people NEED to carry the smallest gun possible, as they don't seem to find a properly fitting holster, and a true gun belt, necessary. One size fits all holsters are actually "one-size fits none" when it comes to CCW. Gun Belts are also a problem. For the best carry, the belt should fill the pants belt loops, reducing motion of the holster. The belt also needs to be thick enough, and stiff enough, to resist sagging after the gun has been in position for a period of time. You can conceal a larger gun much more easily than a smaller one with a properly made, and fitted, holster/belt combo, over a combination that, while just as good in quality, is left to move on your body because of mis-matches.

Personally, I would also have at least four magazines for any semi-auto. One for the gun, one or two spares, and one or two "range magazines". Magazines cause probably 80% of sudden failures in guns. While simple to look at, their action determines reliability in the feeding cycle.

In the end, I would recommend more than one gun, and four magazines per gun. If your environment includes a good amount of humidity, rain, or snow, or a maritime location, stainless should definitely be a consideration.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's really hard to match the accuracy of a PT92 for the price. The 5.5" barrel and low recoil are a great combination. Then, as you said, you can put a ton of bullets in it. I think there are aftermarket mags that hold 21 without sticking out much.

Check out this video with my friends and I. It's 45 yards to the other side of the wash. At the 1:00 mark I take a shot at an empty aerosol can that is just awesome.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I know this has probably been done to death, but yeah. I can get a new stainless PT92 for $550, or a new Cougar for $400. The stainless does look a lot nicer, but it's also more expensive. The PT92 does hold 2 more rounds, and magazines are almost 1/3 less than the cougar, but in reality ill probably only buy one extra magazine. I'll eventually take a CCW class, because my sister that lives a few blocks away got her house robbed, and living in a bad part of town we had our lives threatened on multiple occasions, and the cougar is the smaller firearm.

I do have buddies that I do go shooting with, and I can't say either are berettas, but I could use the "oh, but it technically is made by beretta" line. lol

I always liked the shape of berettas and their guns from all their spinoff companies. I hope that there wont be too much of a biased to the PT92, because after all this is a taurus forum, but let me know what you guys would do.
Oh, dear GOD IN HEAVEN DO NOT GET A STOEGER COUGAR!

It's the second or third-worst handgun that I've ever owned. I had to get two of them because they were both such pieces of smoking junk that Stoeger couldn't figure out.

The first one's finish came off under the massive pressure of a toothbrush. It looked like it had eczema. I will say that it was both accurate and reliable, but had clearly escaped the appropriate treatment before finish was applied. Had to wait 2 months for a replacement to be shipped from Turkey. I was charged $40 to send it back to them, nice, huh?

The second one's finish was considerably better, but the gun could not get through five shots without a stoppage. The more you'd fire it, the worse it got.

I sent it in to Stoeger (once again, I was obliged to pay an additional $40), who promptly shot one magazine through it and sent it back to me.

I sold it on Gunbroker for a pittance, and had to pay $80 DOLLARS to ship it to an FFL.

It was like being hit in the face with a tack-hammer for three hours.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you have an Academy Sports near you and if you can live without the SS version of the PT92 they might still have the Black Friday package available. $379 comes with 2 mags, 19 & 17 rd as well as speed loader and plastic storage case. Our store had 9 of them the last time I checked. They don't sell many of this years model with only 1 mag at $479 for some reason.......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts