Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold a G2C because of the rough textured finish and told myself that i would only buy anoher if it was stainless. I carry a G2C daily thats black but the finish is smooth. Now with a problem that has me thinking, a friend just bought a new black G2C. It has the rough finish too and he is selling it, its never been fired, he was given one from the back and he couldn't check it when he bought it, only the display was he allowed to look at. He has a stainless on order now and has offered me the black one, he said he woud take $125.00 for it with one mag. he wants to keep a extra mag for the stainless. I don't like the finish but the price is tempting, what would ya'll do? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I recently sold a G2C because of the rough textured finish and told myself that i would only buy anoher if it was stainless. I carry a G2C daily thats black but the finish is smooth. Now with a problem that has me thinking, a friend just bought a new black G2C. It has the rough finish too and he is selling it, its never been fired, he was given one from the back and he couldn't check it when he bought it, only the display was he allowed to look at. He has a stainless on order now and has offered me the black one, he said he woud take $125.00 for it with one mag. he wants to keep a extra mag for the stainless. I don't like the finish but the price is tempting, what would ya'll do? thanks for any help.
For 125 dollars? I would buy it, especially if it never was shot. Mine is the all black one, and yeah the stainless slide is nice, the all black versions works just as good.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
If it were a .40, I'd do it. I haven't given in to using meters...

Aren't there several guys on the Internet who have polished off their "whatever" black Taurus finish? For $125, it may be worth experimenting and seeing if there is a technique that you'd like to try. I guess you could always blue it (or whatever technique they use on whatever the metal is).

·
Super Moderator
36,010 Posts
Great price, good gun, go for it. You might try waxing the black finish to extend the wear points where the holster hits it. The grips can be tamed with sandpaper like said, or a Hogue Handall or even a fat tire scrap bicycle tube. Check a bike shop for one of these, should be free as new ones are only 3-5 bucks. It's cheap enough so that if down the line you don't like the way the slide is wearing, you can DIY Ceracote it.

ps...don't forget to show us a picture...:D

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great price, good gun, go for it. You might try waxing the black finish to extend the wear points where the holster hits it. The grips can be tamed with sandpaper like said, or a Hogue Handall or even a fat tire scrap bicycle tube. Check a bike shop for one of these, should be free as new ones are only 3-5 bucks. It's cheap enough so that if down the line you don't like the way the slide is wearing, you can DIY Ceracote it.

ps...don't forget to show us a picture...:D
the grip doesn't bother me, the slide finish is so rough it's like fine sandpaper. thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,010 Posts
the grip doesn't bother me, the slide finish is so rough it's like fine sandpaper. thanks
Probably oil and 0000 steel wool applied to an inconspicuous spot...if there is one. Maybe under the ejection port? For 125 bucks it's worth the gamble. You can turn it for even money if you don't like it.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
BUY IT and a pair of gloves.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
When I purchased my first G 2 in 2013 the grips was so rough it was tearing holes in my shirts. I put Houge grip cover on and never looked back. In 2015 I purchased a G 2 with a stainless steel slide and grip was much better.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I always thought a .40 was just a necked down 10mm...:) Same bullet just a different case length ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well some bad news and may be good news, the guy done sold the G2C by the time I got there this morning. Then my friend said he had another new gun still in box that he would sell as he never would use it anyways. I go look and it's a Ruger Security 9, he even had 2 extra mags and 2 new Desantis dual carry 2 holsters for it. I asked him how much and he said $160 for everything, I thought for a minute and bought it with the money I had and will owe him the rest in a few weeks. I just recently sold a Security 9 used for $200 just for the gun to help with family issues but still had some left over to try and get another gun. So I think I did ok, A new Ruger Security 9, 4 mags, and 2 holsters that do iwb and owb, did I do ok at $160? thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,010 Posts
At those prices my only concern would be the origin of the guns.

·
Registered
589 Posts

Do either Hogue or Pachmayr make an over grip that would cover the textured finish? They are typically not very expensive. $125 is a steal.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well some bad news and may be good news, the guy done sold the G2C by the time I got there this morning. Then my friend said he had another new gun still in box that he would sell as he never would use it anyways. I go look and it's a Ruger Security 9, he even had 2 extra mags and 2 new Desantis dual carry 2 holsters for it. I asked him how much and he said $160 for everything, I thought for a minute and bought it with the money I had and will owe him the rest in a few weeks. I just recently sold a Security 9 used for $200 just for the gun to help with family issues but still had some left over to try and get another gun. So I think I did ok, A new Ruger Security 9, 4 mags, and 2 holsters that do iwb and owb, did I do ok at $160? thanks
You did great. I paid roughly $280 something for my Security 9.

All these guns have serial numbers correct? (LOL).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts