Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Happened all the time when I was living in Chicago those fools would start shooting around 1130 and it would just sound like Beirut when midnight would turn around. It goes as far back as when I was a kid and still goes on.My mom asked me last night "do they shoot in the air where you live?" "no we have half a brain outside of that city and you people are dumbasses" Though really I''m sure all this gun fire in Chicago every year was from legally owned and regestered with cook county guns. I'm sure NO ONE has illegal guns out there... *rolls eyes*

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I worked in the CATV industry for over 30 years. Outages caused by gun shots were pretty regular on New Years Eve. It's a shame when anyone, especially a child gets hurt because of these idiots.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
This is actually a MAJOR issue in Chitcago, I remember when I was growing up come around 1130 instead of celebrating we would have to hide in our basement just cause of the sound of gun fire, and this isn't just a pop here and there... I'm talking BAM BaM BAM BAM BRAPAPAPAPA even full auto weapons... when I was a teenager a block over from me 4 gangbangers got out of a car and emptied the mags in their AK47's right into the air... and people wonder why I live in Ohio now.

I don't feel sorry for Chicagos tough gun laws you people don't deserve to have any guns, I gave up on that city years ago.

Several people arrested for celebratory gunfire - chicagotribune.com

this first ones just ironic...

Cops: No tolerance for celebratory gunfire - Chicago Tribune

E.C. cops target 'celebratory gunfire' with extra patrols

Dad and son sentenced for celebratory gunfire – Chicago Sun-Times

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
That sure makes me sad..Some people think they in the old west movies or something they see on tv....very few people anymore have been taught by responsible parents or grandparents on gun safety...My Dad or Uncles or my Grampa would have taken out behind the woodshed for something that dumb...I shot a arrow in the air when i was a child and it about hit my friend in the head..scared me so bad ..i have never shot anything in the air again.(except for shotguns at flying targets live or clay..lol)

What a parents nightmare:(

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
dumb, really dumb

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Middle East wannabes.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Celebratory Gunfire is stupid.

·
17,572 Posts
The tough laws don't seem to do much good............

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
What goes up must come down...somewhere....maybe in a childs head or eye or someone's roof (likely) or with any luck at all, in the person's head that shot the stupid thing in the beginning!!! Why the LEO's can't catch some of these folks is beyond me!!!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
A sad story with a sad write up. "Duran wasn't aware her son had been shot, but she new he had been seriously injured." She new? Maybe she knew but I doubt she new. Still, my prayers are with the family.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I was working with the maintainence people at one of the largest hospitals in Toledo Ohio. It's surrounded by some not so good neighborhoods. They had a 1lb.coffee can full of lead that they had removed from the roof. Two years ago on New Years Eve, they took a bullet in the fiber optic feed into the hospital campus that shut down their phone system. Fortunately there was a redundent loop.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It's sad to here story's like this , it's just senseless , if you gotta do it at least show some intelligence and buy some blank loads for the occasion.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Celebratory and gun fire are never used together in the same sentence. Even if I had to use use my gun in a legal ethical manner I would celebrate that I was alive and be depressed that it was ever needed. Only a sick {blank} fires a gun in the air.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
We have a ding in the passenger-side front door frame of our then-new Kia from a glancing blow from .30 cal FMJ slug. I know what it was because I found the bullet. If you MUST make noise on New Years Eve, bang a pot, scream, yell, honk your car horn or whatever but PUT THE DAMN GUNS AWAY!

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
I live in a controlled access community. Only one way in and one way out. It's surrounded by a brick wall. There are houses on the other side of the wall in another neighborhood that adjoins ours. At midnight last night some nimrod who lives in one of the houses that backs up to our neighborhood was out in his backyard shooting some sort of large caliber rifle. The gun had a five round magazine as he would shoot 5 and then after a pause, I assume to reload, he would fire off five more. Damn that thing was loud. I was in bed by 11:00 and the report not only woke me up but had me on the floor until I woke up enough to figure out what the hell was going on. I don't know for sure which neighbor it was, ......... yet. When I do find out we will be having a small and very one sided chat.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
While it may sound odd, many examples of "celebratory gunfire" are cultural. We all have seen the pictures of Middle Easterners firing into the air to celebrate, but many Hispanic cultures do the same. In point of fact, note the names of many of the victims of neighborhood gun-fire in New Year's Eve.

To them, and to an ethnic group known, for some reason, to copy the worst, gun-fire is like fireworks on a holiday.

So, they DID have their parents and grandparents teaching them about guns and gun-fire. They just taught them wrong.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just remembered that a few years ago, I was at someone's house for a July 4th celebration, and one guy took out a small handgun (looked like a .380), and fired a few rounds into the ground.

Not quite as stupid as firing them into the air, but still stupid

1 - 20 of 34 Posts