Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought my 1st gun, a 4" taurus 66 7 shooter for home defense, but when i have had a little bit of experience, training and practice i would like to apply for a ccw permit. I really would like a revolver that i could carry in a pocket holster.

Any reccomendations?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
newbie mistake, saw a few posts that might be helpfull after browsing.

but still a few questions

whats the difference between the m85, m850 and m851 concealed hammer snubbies?

·
32,615 Posts
Hope you have a few hours. :) Kidding of course, but here goes. The 85CH has an abbreviatted hammer that still cocks all the way back, but is DAO only and cannot be cocked by hand. Don't even try or one will lose some flesh as well as have a nice nasty pinch wound to go along with the removed flesh.

The hammer is more recessed than on other DA/SA snubbies and is snag free on the draw or during firing. Can be shot through the pocket of a jacket if need be in an extreme case.So can the other models you have queried about. Have tried to get my unloaded 85CH to catch material while dry firing from inside a jacket pocket and can't get it to eat cloth.

The 850 has the recessed hammer inside the frame completely.Double action only as well as the 85CH.

851s have a shroud that covers the back, but have a bit of serrated hammer spur that sticks up out of the frame. This is for those who want to be able to cock the revolver for single action shooting and a more precise shot if time and events warrant it.

Don't let anyone kid you. Snubbies can and have been used for shooting out to as far as 100 yards and the target was hit repeatedly. Some emergency situations might actually need this feature. Hostage in front of a criminal and precise placement is needed. Or if that is the only gun on the scene and the criminal is some distance away. It has happened enough that gun tactics writers including Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith, and Chuck Taylor, all preeminent shooters and instructors in their own right, have documented such data on this.

None of these revolvers will catch on cloth or other things during a draw of the revolver.

Double action only revolvers stop an unwarrented attacks by defense lawyers and prosecution attorneys. These cases are made up saying that the person pre-cocked the hammer creating a "hair trigger" situation and the gun went off by accident killing or injuring the person shot. Trail lawyers do this to get insurance money by suing a person's homeowners insurance company, but you are the one being sued as well.

Overzealous prosecutors do it for many reasons. Don't doubt it.Remember the Duke la crosse team that was prosecuted for rape? Not only were the charges proven false and everybody knew it, but the prosecutor also knew that there was much evidence showing that no crime was commited at all.He kept the prosecution of the innocent players going for months. Ruined the team,coach,families, and players lives. So, it can and does happen frequently to be needed to be taken into account.

And yes as far as the revolvers are concerned, +P ammo can be used in any of them. Since the ammo (+P) is expensive, it is recommended that standard pressure loads be used for a majority of practice and 10 to 30 rounds of +P shot per session to keep current. There are standard pressure loads in the 110gr. JHP and slightly heavier that can offer a decent protection level if need be.

And there you have it from this source. Know for the others to chime in. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks again for your help and great info Quicks! Are they all similar in size and weight? I'm a big guy who can handle a lil weight, but i would like something pocketable so that it wont be inconvenient to carry. Even though i dont want a gun that is unpleasant to shoot. Which taurus would you personally recommend?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again!

they only come in 6 packs huh? lol. I heard people mention the a-zooms before being the most durable.

·
32,615 Posts
Put me in a corner will ya? :) I do not know of your experience and shooting abilities. All these revolvers fit the bill. The 850 and 851 are of newer design and manufacture. So are the present day 85s as for manufacture goes.

Let's start with weight. If that is a major concern the 851 in ultra lite configuration gets the nod. It weighs 16.8 ounces and has more heft than the titanium models. Recoil will be only a bit less than the Ti. models.
I won't recommend a model since I do not know enough about you to make the, call nor am I able to say such since your criterea for a snubbie do not match mine.

Am on the short side and have small hands.

If gun weight is not the biggest concern than either the 850 or 851 are the recommendation. If not one of the lighter weight models is in order. I do not recommend the Ti. models, but that is my choice. These seem to be too light weight and recoil can be a major problem for some if not most shooters. Some have had nerver damage or carpal tunnel syndrome aggravated by these. Others do not mind the Ti.potential problems and shoot them just fine.

So this I am leaving up to you as to the pick. All steel frames or the lighter aluminum compatriots make shooting easier to manage and one more confident. This being subjective and objective leaves the ball in your part of the park. :)
That and recovery time between shots is much more than for the heavier models.

Try and get the feel of the models you can and then pick the one that is right for you.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I ware Blue Jeans type Carpenter Pants 95% of the time. I finde the front pocket is comfortable with 15oz.(give or take). Anything heavyer like my Ruger SP or taurus 605 I'd rather carry in the waist or back pocket. I have carried my Taurus 617 in my pocket. For me if the pocket is not too deep and the gun is not to far down the leg it feels more comfy. the 15 oz S&W is my favorite front pocket gun. For that rare time I ware Dress pants or liteweight pants I use the back pocket.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Got to tell you...the S&W 642 has got the concealed pocket revovler pretty much covered...this is one S&W that everybody can afford...not sure you can do much better.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If I had to buy a pocket gun it's the 442 or 642. Based on how good my Mdl. 37 S&W shoots. I traded for this gun and bobbed the hammer myself. I love the way it shoots. It rides in the back left pocket while my 605 or SP101 is in the waist. The same Speedloaders fit all 3 guns. The 357 guns get Corbon 125grn. 357s. The 38 and the loaders get Corbon 125grn. 38+P.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice guys! i'm going to do some looking around locally to see what i can find

·
32,615 Posts
These guys have it right about using a good pocket holster and the dirt and lint.

Lint or debris buildup can tie up the revolver's action in various ways. That gets it's user dead.

Checking the weapon over daily for fit and function is a must when one's and other's lives are on the line. Carrying the snubbie in a decent holster just protects the gun and assures that it stays in the right position for the draw.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pocket holster is a must. Otherwise the gun rotates and is hard to draw, or a penny jams in the chamber, or, or...

This is my favorite:

Pocket Holsters

The best ammo for me is Gold Dot 135 +P for Short Barrel.

Consider a crimson laser too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I carry the 605SSCH with CT laser grips everyday, I have a custom leather OWB from Desbiens gunleather that also fits in my front jeans pocket for carry that way so I got 2 holsters for the price of one and yes the draw is quick and sure as I prastice it daily for 5 or 10 mins using the laser for target sighting in the basement with minimal lighting to simulate night encounters.I dont think you can go wrong with any of the concealed hammer snubby's. I prefer them in 357 as it gives me several options for practice firing and if you decide to sell later it will bring a higher price with more takers IMHO.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I was pocket carrying my 605, but I can tell you it's like lugging around a boat anchor. You need to go lightweight. I ended up going Keltec, but if you are going revolver, and you already have a good full size gun, go for the S&W 642 or the Taurus 85ul. A-Zoom snap caps are the best. They don't explode or leave brass shavings on the breach.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Both the small frame revolvers I have are steel frames. Yes, I'd expect a lightweight would be easier but its not that difficult to have a steel frame in your pocket. But I carry lots of stuff in my pockets normally so I'm used to some weight there. What messes with me some is when I have to rearrange where I carry stuff to accommodate the gun.

Steelheart

·
Registered
34 Posts
My girlfriend is about to get a 651 (which is the same as the 851 except in 357 rather than 38). We'll let you know how she likes it when it comes in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts