Taurus Firearm Forum banner

What basic stance do you use for combat or self defence shooting, please?

• Weaver (or modified)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Isosceles (or modified)

• One Handed

• Other ( Please Explain)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Re: What Stance Do You Use?

Gray_Wolf said:
mine is kind of in between. voted isosoles tho. there is a slight bend in my left elbow but i dont pull with left push with right.
same here!
Thumbs pointed at target, both eyes open, on balls of the feet probally 60% slight forward roll of the shoulders ( as mentioned kind of boxer position).
thats for shooting at paper!
ya gotta get back on your heels if you are moving around or i bounce the sights everywhere.
heel to toe walk.
thats me!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

I like Matty's response. My instructor, Darryl Smith, showed me a boxer's pose, a bit of duck and dodge, saying "You don't want to be standing in the same place the BG first saw you." He carries on the back of his hip, which gives it the better protection.

For practice, the weaver, elbows slightly bent, lean a little forward.

Ancient airman

·
Registered
11 Posts

airwrench said:
My self defense stance is hide behind the wall/car/whatever and spray in the direction of the perp. When he/she reloads run like hell.
I'll go with that... but I think I'd put some effort into aiming rather than spray, what the feds call "collateral damage", Texas prosecutors call "felony assault".

·
Registered
224 Posts

Natural defense position for those with some training is the Weaver whether in pistol craft or martial arts after many repetitons to facilitate muscle memory issues. At the range and for me, isosceles gives me better POI while I have to really concentrate on not torquing my hips on a Weaver and pulling shots as a result. Which one I'd use in a gunfight, have not been there and hope that I never will..I can't armchair quarterback that scenario folks. If I ever get in that predictament, I'll be sure to tell everyone which one I used...if I survive or have the presence of mind to say "wait a minute, let me check to see which stance I'm using".. :p I agree with Steelheart on reply#3.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts

Not really sure what mine is. It's what I've been doing for years. I asked the RM at the range one day to evaluate what I did, and she (yes, "she") said it's not a Weaver, and it's not an Isocoles. But given your age be thankful that you can stand upright and get off a shot in the right direction.

As long as the BG falls, I guess it's right for me.

·
Administrator
40,248 Posts

There is a good chance, in a defensive situation, that you may not use a formal stance of any kind.

·
Registered
15 Posts

The idea that in a crisis situation the CHL holder may not be able to assume the best firing position is one of the best reasons to take a defensive pistol course that addresses that concern.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Isosceles makes no sense as a defensive stance, if your taking any kind of strike bullet or otherwise you are giving them the biggest target you can, also you have no were near as much 'push back' power by having no balance front to rear if they somehow get to you.

So weaver or modified from weaver for me.

·
Registered
316 Posts

When practicing for a self-defense situation I don't worry about shifting into a particular stance and taking aim.

Since most encounters are short range, I practice more of a quick draw and "point", where the weapon is just an extension of my arm, pointed at center of mass. Note I said "pointed", not "aimed". My thinking is to get a double or triple-tap into the center of mass as quick as I can then run like #$!!!

Aiming will come later, after I've found cover.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

At Gunsite I was taught with modified Weaver's, at Thunder Ranch, modified Weavers, and at Front Sight modified Weaver's. Guess which stance I use. =D

·
Registered
34,139 Posts

Oldster said:
At Gunsite I was taught with modified Weaver's, at Thunder Ranch, modified Weavers, and at Front Sight modified Weaver's. Guess which stance I use. =D
At the range this is the stance I find most efficient also.

Geauga Bob said:
When practicing for a self-defense situation I don't worry about shifting into a particular stance and taking aim.

Since most encounters are short range, I practice more of a quick draw and "point", where the weapon is just an extension of my arm, pointed at center of mass. Note I said "pointed", not "aimed". My thinking is to get a double or triple-tap into the center of mass as quick as I can then run like #$!!!

Aiming will come later, after I've found cover.
For self defense this is exactly the right answer and how I train, also.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

I think my target stand would be called modified-weaver...strong side leg back, both arms slightly bent and thumbs up!!! Any other PT1911 shooters do the same with that digit?

If ever unfortunate to be in a real self-defense shooting situation, whatever stance I would take would probably be whatever one seemed to have the potential to keep me alive as long as possible.

·
Registered
741 Posts

i try to shoot in all positions. the opportunity for you to get into a specific stance is probably not going to happen. so my stance is what ever is going to give me the best shot.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts