Taurus Firearm Forum banner

What basic stance do you use for combat or self defence shooting, please?

• Weaver (or modified)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Isosceles (or modified)

• One Handed

• Other ( Please Explain)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Stance Do You Use?

I was curious what basic stance is most popular with folks here?

I have learned to use Weaver or a modified Weaver for combat/self defence shooting. I have been noticing from researching that some trainers now seem to be recommending Isosceles, or a version of it, as this is more "natural" since the average person will bring their hands up in front to protect themselves. Supposedly this helps shorten responce time.

It can be a derivation- just what basic form of stance do you use?

I am most curious what others use and think, please?

Respects,
Brizzo

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Re: What Stance Do You Use?

i use weaver, it's what feels natural although i blade more then usual..

i try different stances though so it's not exclusive or anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts

If I'm tryin to qualify and hav e time to set my feet, I use isosceles. If I'm pulling my gun in a hurry, gotta be weaver.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts

IF I ever have to use a firearm to defend myself I'm not going to spend the time/energy to wonder what stance I'm going to use, I'm going to point the gun at the threat, hopefully remember to put the front sight on the threat (ideally I'll actually line up the sights and use them the way they're supposed to be used) and start convincing him/her/them that they have made a poor life decision....

Normally I use a modified weaver so thats probably what I'd use but it wouldn't be a conscious decision. Then again, I've also been taught/shown the same thing about how an Isosceles is more natural. But I still think I'd default to what I'm used to and focus on defeating the threat/evacuating the area.

Steelheart

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

40 plus views and only 10 votes? Please Vote

MR. Steelheart is right about defaulting. It is like anything else. If it is habit, we will follow through in the manner the habit was formed. This is true whether brushing our teeth- combing our hair - the way we drive a vehicle or hold a firearm.

BUT, habits can be broken and reformed.

Like Mr. Sixpack wrote: " i use weaver, it's what feels natural " . It is natural to him because that is what he has practiced over and over. When Jack Weaver first started getting note for this stance most didn't even believe it was a fast assuming position. Why? Because they had been taught or learned otherwise.

I do not think anyone ( well if you want to live) would stop to think : "Do I have a good proper X stance?" "Is my sight alignment correct?" "Am I aiming at a ten ring on the B.G.'s body?" " Do I have wad cutters, round nose or personal defence loads in my gun?" etc.

You will default to the habits you have practiced or had drilled into you.

I am fascinated by human pschycolgy and the strategy behind it when two or more people meet. The more you understand the better you can prevail.... whether in a game, a debate/arguement or a confrontation to save your life. If you study these and make it a part of your training you add to your chances to win or most importantly LIVE. Hence my post.

Respects- Brizzo

·
Registered
532 Posts

Actually, when I draw quickly, isosceles is the stance I slide into.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

I Voted "other"

Wow.. kinda feel a little dumb.. :rolleyes:
Not sure what i use..i just shoot..
Never really learned a certain way..
Funny how you can do something all your life and not Know what it is when asked ;)
Here is a pic( this is the way i always shoot at the range, unless I am shooting with one hand)
Anybody know what stance this is, maybe i invented a new one ..lol :)

·
Registered
34 Posts

Looks like weaver stance to me. Weaver's a more natural fighting stance. When most people incur a threat, they naturally take the weaver/bladed stance(ie: strong side back)
dbsoundguy said:
I Voted "other"

Wow.. kinda feel a little dumb.. :rolleyes:
Not sure what i use..i just shoot..
Never really learned a certain way..
Funny how you can do something all your life and not Know what it is when asked ;)
Here is a pic( this is the way i always shoot at the range, unless I am shooting with one hand)
Anybody know what stance this is, maybe i invented a new one ..lol :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts

I think a Weaver stance has both elbows bent. A Modified Weaver (I think its also called a Chapman Weaver or something close) has the strong side elbow locked and the support side elbow bent. This is the same basic stance I normally use. Now my names for these could be off but they're close to whats listed in Ayoobs Stressfire book (I just grabbed it off the shelf for reference). That reminds me, I should re-read that book as it had some good info.

Steelheart

·
Registered
9 Posts

I use, and teach, a position that allows for movement to and from cover. Feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart, 60% of my weight on the balls of my feet, strong side foot slightly to the rear, toes oriented in the direction of my threat, knees slighlty bent, with an agressive lean into the pistol. Kind of like a boxer's stance.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Behind my back with a mirror. Just kidding Weaver

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

Thanks guys, always did it and never knew why.. :rolleyes:

Forums can sure be helpful, i keep learning more stuff on what i am doing, than i ever have in real life 8)
Its kinda like you have a 2000 plus friends that you go shooting with and while at the range have your questions answered... :D

·
Registered
339 Posts

I am one of the views who hasn't voted on a stance because I am reading this thread to learn what's what and maybe chose something to practice.

Only been handgun shooting for six months though back in the day I did okay with the M14 and M16. If the need arose I guess I would probably do the same thing I did back then. Shoot and swear. From whatever position I was in.

Only kidding a little. As a retired preacher I hope I don't swear anymore.

I have a number of physical problems, which was part of my motivation for getting the CPL. Those problems preclude using certain positions. I don't get down very readily so if push comes to shove as they say I would probbly remain standing.

If I am facing an animal yelling and shooting might help scare it off, the yelling part has worked for me before in dog atttacks. Facing a bad guy I might do something specific but then again I might just start blasting from whatever position I find myself in.

So far I have never panicked and I tend to look around with an eye that sort of plans ahead so I hoe not to be taken by surprise. That would allow me to react with a bit of forethought and preparation. But it strikes me that I would lean to one handed, strong side (RH) forward, and aggressive language. I am a paratrooper after all.

My fervent hope, as with most of us, is to never have to use my firearm other than for fun.

If someone with more experience has advice I am certainly open to it.

·
22,058 Posts

I use something like the weaver but with both elbows with a slight bend. A lot like dbsoundguy. Shooting steel were I remain in one position I have a little more bend than if I am in a move and shoot IPSC run. My self defense stance is hide behind the wall/car/whatever and spray in the direction of the perp. When he/she reloads run like hell.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts

airwrench said:
My self defense stance is hide behind the wall/car/whatever and spray in the direction of the perp. When he/she reloads run like hell.
We learned at the same school, "Save Your Butt University"!!

·
Registered
497 Posts

Right on, Airwrench and Robby. When you are proned out behind a concrete planter, dodging incoming rounds, what kind of stance should you use? So-called "proper stance" is okay for learning basic marksmanship, but it's not a good idea to get too hung up on it. Learn to shoot from all sorts of positions that you are likely to encounter in real life & death. Prone, on your back, on your side, one handed weak hand, one handed strong hand, low kneeling, etc. Learn both basic stances and then develop one of your own that works best for you. There is no right or wrong stance.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts

Oh this is gonna be very good!

"When you are proned out behind a concrete planter, dodging incoming rounds, what kind of stance should you use? "

You done said it! Prone, Praying, and trying to hit the Perp, without getting myself shot or killed. Most likely one handed and screaming at the top of my lungs for help! or for someone to call 911!!!!!! Because I am not gonna take my eyes off the shooter, even if he is down!!, except maybe a quick glance to make sure he was the only one. (but I figure I would have already noticed another shooter or gun)

OH and why was I the only one to vote for ONE HANDED!! My last paragraph says exactly why!!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts

I shoot Weaver at the range. But, I have to agree with Steelheart's
comments. If it ever comes down to it, I'll just try to do my very best
to aquire the target. Come to think of it, I've been researching those
defensive classes on tactical shooting.

They aren't cheap; but supposedly you could learn a lot. But in situations
where one would have to defend themselves, you would have to do tons of
practice to make it become second nature. I guess it's a good thing that most
of us aren't put into dangerous situations where we would have to defend
ourselves with a firearm.

But because of that very fact, we may not have that defensive "second nature"
to use the right course of action. I guess I could really expand on this
a lot more. But I should stop right here. :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts