Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, my wife took the NRA pistol shooting course. Now she wants her own gun. She has small hands and says she wants a gun as small or smaller than my PT111. Says she can't handle anything bigger that the 111. She suggested that she take my PT111 and I buy another gun. Not a bad idea, but I like my PT111 and I think she would be happier with a gun with a smaller grip. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just buy her another PT111 or is there something else that would fit her hand better? Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
The grip on the 111 is pretty small. I had to put a slip-on grip on mine to be comfortable. If she likes it???
But you might take a look at the Bersa Thunder 380 Concealed Carry, it has small grips (there are 3 other models) and the Bersa 9mm Ultra Compact ( light recoil).

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
What manual of arms does she prefer? How much weight is she willing to carry on her person? What is her perceived threat level? Would a 380 or 9mm be the better choice? Does she necessarily have to have a semi-auto, or would a J-frame revolver be more appropriate for her dress and lifestyle?
She has to answer these and more questions to help narrow down what she will be happy with, and feel secure in knowing she can use it if need be. Take her to the local toy shop and let her fondle several handguns. Look for a store with a woman behind the counter. A sales woman may be better able to relate to her needs.
One more thing: Buy her the best gun you can come up with the money for. And for heaven's sake let her choose what she likes even if it's your PT-111.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
First, you've gotta understand one thing.

There's no such a thing as a "Woman's gun".

You can put pink grips on a .500 Smith and Wesson just as easily as you can a little .38 belly gun. I've known women that carried everything from an Airlight J-frame to a 2 inch Python and a 1911. It's just like with men, it depends on what works for the individual.

Men have no more business choosing a gun for a woman than they do buying them shoes. Let her decide what will or won't work.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
I have to agree with the comments about the PT-111; at 1.2" in width, it's hard to find many pistols (much less one with a 12+1 capacity) this thin.

The best answer is also the hardest to adhere to; and that is allowing her to test drive a few examples of guns that fit her hand well.

I "ALWAYS" recommend revolvers for novices be they female or male.

Why?

:r_c: Most non-gun people don't have the desire to (or can't afford to) spend the time and money it takes to learn how to properly operate sub compact semi-autos reliably and safely; which includes practicing clearance drills with dummy rounds till one can clear a stove pipe or double feed under stress.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
All that matters is what she likes, what fits her hand and what she can shoot.

Time spent trying on different guns for a proper fit at a few gun stores might be in order.

If the PT-111 fits and is what she wants, there's your easy answer.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just think of it this way. The right thing to do, the only thing to do, in the interest of public safety, for the sake of your family, is to go gun shopping... with your wife's approval! This doesn't sound like an issue to me.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I have to agree, let her choose. My wife didn't like my Bersa Thunder 380 so she bought a Taurus 709Slim. She loves that!

·
Registered
133 Posts
If she likes it and it fits her let her have it and if you like the PT 111 buy yourself a new one, she won't have to worry about break in.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Take her gun shopping and let her hold and play with whatever she wants, in order to compare it to how the PT111 feels. She may find something she likes better, or if she's like me (I carry PT140), she will say the PT111 fits her hand perfectly, and it's the best fit for her. If the second situation is the case, look for another PT111 so you can both have one. Then you can share mags too. ;) It may be hard to find another PT111 in a store right now, so that's when you can look to online sources (make sure you have a local FFL you can use for the transfer). Since you already know what to expect out of the PT111, you know what you're getting when you buy it without playing with it first (as long as it's NIB of course).

·
Registered
194 Posts

I "ALWAYS" recommend revolvers for novices be they female or male.

Why?

:r_c: Most non-gun people don't have the desire to (or can't afford to) spend the time and money it takes to learn how to properly operate sub compact semi-autos reliably and safely; which includes practicing clearance drills with dummy rounds till one can clear a stove pipe or double feed under stress.

I think you're selling a lot of women shooters short with that mindset.

OP, let your wife pick whatever she is comfortable with, but beware that women change their minds FREQUENTLY. That's why I started shooting this year and I have three pistols now ;) I love my Taurus 709 for a carry weapon. When I started shooting I thought that it was as big a gun as I'd want for my smallish hands. Not long later, I discovered the Smith & Wesson M&P9, with interchangeable grips (I like small) and though it's too big to carry concealed well, I love shooting it at a range. Most recently I added a Ruger MarkIII 22/45 to have a fun target pistol.

As I've become more comfortable shooting, I've gotten a lot more comfortable with a wider range of guns too.

Look into women's shooting organizations too. The Well Armed Woman and A Girl and a Gun come to mind.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
If it fits her let her have it. Get you a new one. One thing to consider is that as they get smaller the recoil can get bigger. If she's comfortable shooting the 111 I'd stick with that or have her try before you buy anything else.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for you opinions. We're going this weekend so she can get the feel of some different guns. If she doesn't find anything that appeals to more than my PT111, I'm thinking she can have it and I'll try to find a new PT111 G2.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If she doesn't find anything that appeals to more than my PT111, I'm thinking she can have it and I'll try to find a new PT111 G2.
I don't know for sure (I don't have a G2, only a G1), but I don't think the mags on the original PT111 and the G2 are the same. So you might want to try to find a G1, otherwise when you're buying extras, you'll have to buy two different mags for the two different guns. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
27,629 Posts
Well, it sounds like our faithful TA crowdies have beaten sense into you, so I won't bother with answering your original question.
I will, however, point out the problem with teaching your wife to shoot. You no longer have any guns. I don't care what's on the paperwork.
There are 'her' guns and 'your' guns. But note the weakness in the English language (put there by a series of powerful English Queens) 'your' used to be singular, now it's plural.
Oh well, at least she'll let you clean them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts