Taurus Firearm Forum banner

In general, what caliber do you prefer? And you are invited to explain why!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who prefer the more exotic 10mm, 38 Super, etc... and even the .357 Sig, please indicate your preferences in the replys, but the list could have gone on forever.

·
Registered
878 Posts
9mm is the universal semi auto round. You will always be able to find it anywhere in the world. Everyone needs at least one.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I standardized on the 9mm for the house a couple of years ago. I love my 1911 but the ammo prices were getting to be a pain and when I got my gr the Kahr P9 I didn't want her to think "oh a 9mm is good enough for me but you will be using a 45, why?". And me XD has grown on me ever since.

Plus there are many effective social loads out there. Yes, I do feel that assuming an identical hit a 45 will adjust someone's attitude better/faster than a 9mm but don't feel that the difference will be large. Now if you add in that (based on my battery of weapons) that the 45 will be out of a 5" barrel and the 9mm will be from a 3" that difference in effectiveness increases. But the 9 will be around and the 45 tends to be in the safe.

And the cheap 9mm ammo is real nice.

Steelheart

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
790 Posts
9mm would be my first choice, based on price and availability. A good JHP 9mm round will give you satisfactory results in a bad situation better than 90% of the time. For the times when is just isn't practical to have the 9mm, I'll rely on my little .380, because of its small size to conceal. While it doesn't have the stopping power of the larger calibers, it is a respectable round. If I can get off 7 rounds of JHP .380, it should get the job done.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I like 9mm OK as well, but I am a big fan of the .45 ACP. I also like .45 LC in a wheel gun.

Ammo rpices are too high for the .45 but I still like it the best.

I'm not a fan of the .40.

Todd

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Hard for me to choose between the 9mm and .45 ACP, but in the end I prefer the 9mm. I even reload for it. Too much is made of the Stopping Power debate. Put the 9mm bullet where it will do the most damage and it will stop an assailant!

·
Registered
15 Posts
.45 all the way.......carried the 9 for many years and just seems to over penetrate.....FBI loves the .40 and it is a good stopper... I carry the .40 on duty in Glock form but no choice there. I just love the easy recoil of the .45, plus no need to worry about the bullet expanding. Always purchased white box at Wal-Mart in the 100 pack for $22, but yesterday I purchased Blazer Brass there for $9.49 per 50

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Good choice on the Blazer Brass. I have been grabing that stuff up every time i go to Wal-Mart. Normally they only have 2 or 3 boxes so I buy all that I see everytime we stop in lol I have found it to be more accurate and reliable believe it or not then that 100 round value pack WWB seems to be cleaner aswell. $9.47 is a damn good price IMO for 50 rounds of brass FMJ thats accurate dependable and pretty clean

·
Registered
40 Posts
I understand the case for 45, but....I prefer 9mm. In my area, at least, it is very affordable ($15 for 100), different brands, and does what it is supposed to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
9mm is my all around choice - price, availability, light recoil after a couple of hours of shooting

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
.357 sig - hands down!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
MPanova said:
chapulincollorado Have you checked out Wal-Mart? They have the 100 round value pack WWB for 12.88 for 9mm

Dammmmm! They must have down in price recently. When to Wal-Mart in Dec 06, it was around $15 for 100 for 9mm for the Winchester WB.

I have nothing against the 45acp, but it is usually hard to find around my area, it usually a bit costlier than 9mm, and offered very few choices. Though recently my local Academy store stocked up on 45.

Since I live in the Tx-Mexico border, I usually read the crime notes from El Mañana. Most of the notes detail how the BG does away with his competition, i.e., kill another BG. The usual caliber used in these....uh...incidents is 9mm. Call it my weird logic, but if they use it and works for them....then.....I am good with my 9mm. ;D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I always seem to think most criminals use .22 .25 .9mm and such because the guns are normally cheaper and more widely available as is the ammo in .22 and 9mm

·
Registered
40 Posts
MPanova said:
I always seem to think most criminals use .22 .25 .9mm and such because the guns are normally cheaper and more widely available as is the ammo in .22 and 9mm
Off Topic. Though I was born and raised in Mexico, but I am not expert in gun law in that country. As far as I know, 380 and 9mm are very popular in Mexico. 380 and .22 firearms are legal, but there are a lot of restrictions to owning one legally. 9mm, AFAIK, is restrictred to military and police usage. Nevertheless, for example, this last week, while reading the usual "nota roja" (red notes as the "criminal news" are known in Mexican newspapers), the usual BG found killed by a 380 or 9mm. Maybe 45's are not readily available, but it seems those calibers seems to work.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Ya a lot of people talk down about the small cal. being a good stopper but i tell you what I don't want to get hit with any of them lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
MPanova said:
Ya a lot of people talk down about the small cal. being a good stopper but i tell you what I don't want to get hit with any of them lol
;D

Hey. I don't own a .22 and don't prefer that caliber, but...I am not getting in front of any 22 gun. ;D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking at the numbers. I can see 50/50 on preferance. But. Damn. Very few for 40 S&W?!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts