Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 24/7 pro 9mm, a Glock 17 9mm, and a Glock 27 40 S&W. For range ammo I use Wichester White box full metal jacket and I am currently using the WWB hollow points for self defence ammo.

The WWB hollow points shoot well through my guns and I have not had any problems, but a few people have told me that they would not use the WWB for self defence ammo. They suggest I get a better ammo (more expensive). Since I have not had any problems with the ammo I don't see why I should change, especially since the WWB is cheap.

So here are my questions:
1. Should I consider a better self defence ammo?, and if yes,
2. What do you use in your carry guns for self defence ammo? I am very interested to hear what your carry ammo is if you have a 24/7 pro 9mm.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I use the same ammo you use WWB hollow points.I think they are just fine.heck i have the 17 round mags.I really think 17 rounds of anything is more then enough.but that is just me.

·
32,614 Posts

·
32,614 Posts
WWB JHPs will get the job done,expand,and penetrate deep enough to get the job done. The proof is in the actual real world track record.

Pistol and revolver ammo get the blame for not stopping people when it's usually a fact that even rifle or shotgun power levels wouldn't make much of a difference either.

For example:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=4920.msg41180#msg41180
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1603.msg11609#msg11609
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1926.msg13692#msg13692

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
suprised so many use WWB JHP's.. so i do i, tests show they do a good job and are affordable..

although im plaining on getting some federal HST's in 147gr when i get the chance.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Read the info Qwicks put up, it will help you decide. I carry Gold Dots in my PT140, 24/7 .40 and in my 605 .357, the Ms. carries Federal HS in her .38. I load the gold dots for mine now, but have loaded some Golden Sabers for her, she did GREAT with those. You just need to get same weight as practice rounds, and just shoot a few. This is one thing you will get many views on, and none will be really wrong.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I use Corbon 115gr JHP's and am debating shifting to a Gold Dot 124gr +P but I haven't found the time to do the testing (reliability etc).

I do use WWB 115gr JHP's as a back-up load thats available locally. If I had them in the gun and something happened I wouldn't waste any time wishing I had my CB's.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Main point is to use what functions properly in your gun. If WWB HP's have been 100% for you then go ahead and use them. I sure wouldn't want to be shot with them let alone any round. ;) Oh...wait....I have been shot already. Let's just pray it never happens again. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
I used to pay the big bucks for Golden Saber or Federal HS but found that the wwb in fmj and hollow point hit at the same point of aim so when I ran out of the more expencive rounds I loaded my XD-9 with 115 wwb hollow points and left it at that. At $30 to $40 bucks a box of high end stuff thats for 20 rounds. The BG going to be in bad shape with 16 rounds in him. My new PT 1911 I have not found a round that will pass the 200 round mark yet till then I geuss I got to keep practicing What a bummer. Athough the Taursus 45 all copper hollow points have been a surprise as they shoot vary well so far and are only $19 for abox of 20

·
Administrator
35,507 Posts
I'm using the Federal 105 grain Expanding FMJ bullet in my 9mm - haven't shot it yet but it's supposed to be a low recoil round, with plenty of penetration and pretty good expansion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
seecamp-fiocchi 60grn SJHP
tauri 905-winchester 147 ranger-t
HK p7 and wifes p226- Speer LE 124+p golddots
S&W340M&P -remmi 125 golden sabers
wifes 3" S&W m60 and my S&W 65-2-Speer LE 38+p 135 SBGD
Ruger SP101- WW 145 Silvertips
Taurus PT38S- 125 silvertips
4" S&W 610,S&W 1076 and 5" delta-Georgia arms 180 Golddots
6.5" S&W 610 and 6"delta comp get reloads 135 nosler @1600fps (I've never carried them,but if I did )
tauri 431 and Charter Bulldog- speer 200 golddots
AMT backup- Taurus 185 copper(Barnes DPX bullet)
springfield Champ and 1911a1 GI- federal 230 HST
ruger 4" birds head vaquero-250 speer golddots(If I carry it my American Derringer is backup with Speer LE 38+p 135 SBGD)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I vote for Federal Premium Law Enforcement HST or Bonded Tactical 230 grains, +p available. Very, very, effective rounds! Hope they never see real action, but if they ever do they will bring the event to a stop.

·
Registered
846 Posts
45 Forever I get my bullets at the gun show, There is one guy there that always beats everybodys price. I started over a year ago building up, even before I had all my reloading stuff. The price jumps in the last year alone makes me not regret it at all. Allot of the stuff I bought has now doubled. The Ms. thought I was crazy but when I show her what I paid and what things cost now she just says WOW I understand now. That's why I tell the guys to start now and build up, the stuff it ain't going down.

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
I agree Texsas I've been picking up ammo at gun shows for the last year and shown my wife the prices at Wal-mart are even jumping. So I get good ammo at the shows I checked one of my dry boxes the other day and had about 500 rounds of 45 that I forgot I bought. A little here a little there adds up fast. and your right its like gas they are never going to drop the price.
In fact thats how I think they are going to hurt us the most is go after the ammo not the guns. they can sneak little taxes on ammo and no one notices but as soon as they try anything with guns they have to deal with the NRA.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yep I agree they been trying to price the guns, ammo out of our hands, they can make it all legal, but if you can't afford to buy it it's the same as control.
I just thought of something, it may bee too late, but before it even gets worse and not possible, wee need a group picnic, be nice to meet some of you members. Someone start a new post on this, see where it goes.
We can have a question and answer booth with QwicksDraw in it, lol.

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
I've always thought of that to, I know we are spread out all over country and then some. its nice to be able to talk to people from the Heartland and the big cities and hear that a great deal of us agree on the basic principals of the Constitution and the bill of right its not a living Document that can be changed at the will of judges and polititions. We are bombarded with documentaries from morans like Moore about how the regular people of the USA are a bunch of mindless sheep that worship hollywood and the polititions. I got news for them we haven't even forgot about Pearl Harbor let alone sept.11. you can pass your liberal laws about gay marrige and whatever you want but there is only so much that your going to shove down are face
before it all gets shoved back in yours. Congress and the Senate work for us they don't tell us whats good for us. They are really confused on what there job is and its going to bite them in the butt here before long. Anyway off my soap box :soapbox: and back to the picnic lets start a new post and kick it around. we may be surprised if they can get a million man march LOL then maybe we could get together and have a great time sharing stories and shaking hands of all our friends from all over. It does not need to be political or even the news needs to know about it. we just need to look in each other's eye's and know we are there for each other. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Got to be a meetin place sort of between all, I'll build the booth for Qwicks and haul it there in my truck. Seriously if any really wants to consider it start a topic.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts