Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just got a model 85 and i was wondering what defence ammo is the best to use I am looking at the federal Hydra Shok or the Nyclad HP and also what is the best IWB holster or ankel hostel you recommend thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Racky.

I've only known one person who has ever shot anyone and put them down hard and that's my LEO brother. He tells me to either load my own or use Hydra-Shok in .45 cal. JHP only. He's been in LE for 42 years and will NOT debate the subject (especially caliber).

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have used the Federal Hydra-shok in several differnt calibers, and have no problems with it at all. It's probably got the best track record of most serious defensive ammo too. My suggestion to you would be to use Federal 110 gr. Hyrda-shok hollow points. It approaches +p ballistics w/o +p punch. It's what I use in my .38.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Hey guys I just got a model 85 and i was wondering what defence ammo is the best to use I am looking at the federal Hydra Shok or the Nyclad HP and also what is the best IWB holster or ankel hostel you recommend thanks for the suggestions
Do you have a steel frame Mdl 85 or an aluminum frame Ultra-Lite? If it's an Ultra-Lite I would recommend the Federal 125gr Nyclad™ HP. If your gun is the heavier steel frame, go with the Buffalo Bore® standard pressure 158gr SWCHC; it gives you +P performance with less recoil and muzzle blast...........
Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Since revolvers are not ammo sensitive like semi-autos, I can air out my top choices:

1. Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain +P (NYPD has had excellent results with this load)

2. Federal NyClad 125 grain (the Chiefs Special load) --- soft lead expands at low velocities, nylon coated bullet prevents lead fouling of barrel.

3. Any 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoint from an American manufacturer loaded to +P pressure.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
NYPD has given you very sound advice!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will my model 85 hold +p its not indicated on the gun and i was told by a few people not to use +p unless its indicated

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
will my model 85 hold +p its not indicated on the gun and i was told by a few people not to use +p unless its indicated
A steel frame M85 produced in 2006 is rated for +P --- it is perfectly fine to use.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Taurus' generic booklet that comes packed in the box warns against using +P claiming it could shorten the life of the revolver regardless of what the gun is made of. The same booklet comes with several different models.

Non +P is available that nearly matches the performance of +P. I choose something of about 1000 fps in 110 grains or so, HP of course. Expect to pay at least $1.00 per bullet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always love this type of question...

kinda depends...do you want the bg just a little bit dead or a whole lot dead? :dry:
--
You're getting all good recommendations - pretty much all are high quality HPs which will get the job done better than target rounds. Personally, I keep Speer Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense and even Rem Golden Saber +P on hand. And yes, +P which my handguns don't get a steady diet of, probably isn't going to significantly affect the gun's useful life in my lifetime. BUT you do need to practice with some of that ammo if you go that route so there's no surprise at a critical moment. And I guess that's the main point I wanted to make, there's really no substitute for practice, practice and some more practice. And you may want to consider the low flash ammo (like one of the posters recommended) for nighttime firing if it's more "home defense" you're concerned about and you expect the chance to get off more than one round. And of course, depending on your experience level and a multitude of other factors, you may want to consider a laser too. I put a CT laser grip on my wife's gun and think it's one of the better "gun" investments I've ever made! I may well follow that up with one or two more for other HD guns. And speaking of shooting in the dark, if you have never experienced that, you need to "practice" that too. Mostly what I'm driving at here, is (within the realm of feasibility) you want to have as many "real world" experiences as possible....the last thing you want is to be doing something for the very first time and be in the line of possible return fire. Test several brands of defensive ammo and see what appeals most to you. But as another poster alluded to, expect to drop a little more $$ per round than you do for target ammo...that decision is probably not the best time to be cutting corners! Best of luck with your choice of killer ammo. :r_c:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Buffalo Bore makes some great soft lead hollow points that are gas-checked to reduce/eliminate leading. My BIL swears by the Critical Defense line by Hornady. I tend to lean towards Gold Dots or Golden Sabres. I know its a pain, but before you buy a supply of defensive ammo, try a box of each to see what your particular gun shoots best. A "Mega Death Super Shreader" that misses is not as good as a FMJ in the X-ring. As above, practice, then practice some more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
believe me i will be practicing a lot my neighbor is a NRA instructor and I work with him every chance I get ill also be going thru more defensive and tactical training for my future work in armed security ill also be getting a Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm for work and the M85 will serve as my back-up

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My favorite self defense ammos are:

Federal Hydra-Shock

Remington Golden Saber

Hornady Critical Defense

Speers Gold Dot Law Enforcement Ammo

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
The M85 is a time proven reliable revolver which will bring you generations of useage with a modicum of maintainance.

Been lots of good advice already so I'll throw in my standard "2 cents" response.

There's not a nickel's worth of difference in the performance of today's premium JHP ammuniton.

My .38's are presently loaded with 129 gr. Federal Hydra Shoks, because they were on sale at Wally World and hit point of aim in my revolvers.

A few makers however, do cater some of their loads for "short barreled" revolvers/pistols; you might want to check them out.

Choose what you shoot the best in your particular revolver and practice till your shooting skills are at the level you desire.

History has taught us that "Will and Skill" is what wins gun fights, not magic bullets or "tactical whatzips" added to numerous rails.

Rather that spend $1,500 on the lastest custom made ninja named wonder gun, spend $200 on practice ammo.

It'll do you more good in the long run. :thumb:

·
Registered
187 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts