Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
In Alabama, just over 22% of those eligible hold a permit. Daily carry? Probably not 5% of the permit holders. Considering how many permit holders that is in comparison to the state population, there's still a good many.

Personally, I only carry if I leave the house- whether it's going on a trip or just down to the mailbox.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Sounds about right. Around 2 percent? Hardly ever a good guy with a pistol around when the bad guys start blasting
If you're referring to "around when the bad guys start blasting" as in a mass shooting, a large part of that is a lot of the bad guys that do that stuff choose "No guns for the law abiding" zones.

In Ohio they keep stat's on the number of licensee's but a lot of the people that are licensed don't carry. When asked those people will claim that "Oh I only carry when I need to." :confused: None of those people who think they can see the future have yet to give me the name of the winning horse at the local race track. :rolleyes: If I knew when or where I know I'll need a gun to defend myself I probably wouldn't go there in the first place.
Plus, I'd only wear my seat belt or my motorcycle helmet when I know I'll be in an accident, or wouldn't drive or ride that day.

·
Registered
15,356 Posts
The numbers are considerably higher than reported. The OP asked how many people conceal carry, not how many LAWFULLY conceal carry. How many states now offer constitutional carry that doesn't require a permit? I think that 17 mil is probably closer to 25 mil in reality.

·
Administrator
40,562 Posts
Sounds about right. Around 2 percent? Hardly ever a good guy with a pistol around when the bad guys start blasting
Overwhelming number of these bad guys blasting incidents, occur in 'gun free zones'. Also overwhelmingly, licensed carriers are law abiding citizens.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I saw some stats from Florida a few years ago and you were about 3 times more likely to have a LEO go bad than have a permit holder commit a crime. I think the percentage came out to be like 0.017% or something like that.

Even revocations of permits is usually tied to non firearms offenses. I think FL had like 8 or 9 permits that they revoked because of weapons charges in a decade or so.

*I like to quote FL stats because they basically invented the modern Shall Issue permit, they've been doing it the longest so you can look at the long term trends and numbers AND they make their stats available.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
994 Posts
I know here in Gainesville, Fl.....a politically liberal college city , more carry than one would think. Just in my community alone, of over 400 seniors here in a 55+, only 39% are men, and I know over 50% of us carry daily.

·
Registered
17,578 Posts
In Alabama, just over 22% of those eligible hold a permit. Daily carry? Probably not 5% of the permit holders. Considering how many permit holders that is in comparison to the state population, there's still a good many.

Personally, I only carry if I leave the house- whether it's going on a trip or just down to the mailbox.
Yeah, I only carry when I have cloths on. :D

As a side note:

Font Text Advertising

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Texas makes their statistics on crime committed by LTC holders public on the state website. The percentage is well below 1% of the total number of LTC carriers.

·
Administrator
40,562 Posts
Texas makes their statistics on crime committed by LTC holders public on the state website. The percentage is well below 1% of the total number of LTC carriers.
Well below the general population as well.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ok How many Americans CCW Legally with permits? Or is it more of an undocumented guess.

·
Administrator
40,562 Posts
Ok How many Americans CCW Legally with permits? Or is it more of an undocumented guess.
I'd have to say it's an unknown. Texas supposedly has 1.3 million issued permits. But not everyone that has a permit actually carry. No way of knowing how many of those there are.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
It's impossible to say with any certainty. You can find out how many permits are issued nation wide but just because they have the permit, it doesn't mean they actually put it to use regularly.

Alabama's permits run around $20 a year (it varies from county to county because of how the law is written) and just over 22% of the folks eligible have gotten a permit. That's the highest percentage in the nation.

LOTS of folks have gotten their permits 'just in case' or just for when they are traveling.

There's probably as many or more that just use it to have a pistol in the car or truck.

Daily, or at least regular, on the person carry? I figure maybe 1/4 of the permits issued, max, and more probably closer to 1/5.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
At present I believe there are 12 states that do not require handgun permits, so how many folks are carrying in those states on any given day. I never leave the house without mine on me or in my auto, but I don't think it's a number or percentage that you will ever get. Maybe just a hopeful guess?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts