Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was just given this older make of Taurus .38 Special revolver. It has a 3" barrel, exaggerated front sight, open ejector rod and is blued with a case hardened hammer with built in firing pin.
There is no Taurus "Bull" on the frame,rather a bird instead. The barrel is marked Taurus.
He would like to know how old it may be?
Thank you for any helpful info.
Taurus38A.jpg
Taurus38B.jpg

·
8,341 Posts
Welcome aboard. It looks like an older model 80 - 3" tapered heavy barrel. However since it is Spesco/Taurus, I am not sure we can figure out its age. 35C157 is what the serial looks like, doesn't match my reference info for old Taurus revolvers. Hopefully one of our revolver experts will weigh in. While you are here, go to our member introduction area and read our forum rules and set up your profile.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
M84. The M80 didn't have adjustable rear sight.

I have one, imported by Spesco & branded "Falcon"
The grooved cylinder flutes are a sign of the oldest style 80 series revolver.
Mfd. late 60's to early 70's.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
The bird in the circle emblem was put on by the importer, not Taurus. Although old and a bit rare, there is very little demand or value in older Taurus firearms.

·
21,965 Posts
Good lord, even after all these years the depth of knowledge on this forum still impresses me.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Here's mine. Same revolver except it has a 4" barrel and still has the original grips. My dad bought it new in either 1969 or 1970 at Kmart in Marietta, Georgia.

IMG_0892.JPG

·
32,481 Posts
Good lord, even after all these years the depth of knowledge on this forum still impresses me.
We have at this forum seasoned old salts, a few peppers, and veterans here. :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It's a Model 84. I had one that was made in the mid 70s. It was an accurate gun in very good condition. It was to large and heavy for concealed carry so I sold it for $150. I traded a Hi-Point C9 for it.

·
17,585 Posts
I suspect the barrel on yours was cut shorter at some point after it left the factory. The barrel stamps are so off-center and in the same place as the 4" one pictured later in the thread.

·
Super Moderator
35,570 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts