Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have with me now a Taurus .357 Mag that a friend of mine will sell me for $250.
It is a large frame with a 4" bbl. The grips are wood( I would change). but there is no model # on the outside. Where would I find what model this is so that I can check options available?
I am not worried about the reliability. I can feel already without having yet fired it that it is a fine handgun. Yes, a lot bigger and heavier than my S&W .38 spec and Ruger sp101 .357.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I suppose you could visit the taurus web site and look for a match. Another option: call Taurus and give them the serial number. They can probably tell you not only what model it is, but the date it was manufactured.

·
32,789 Posts
Kansas-plainsman is correct.

If you try the Taurus website at www.taurususa.com , on the right side of the screen and 4 places down is the "Customer Care" tab. Click on that and another tab saying "Find my model appears". Click on that and enter the serial number. That should give you the info you desire.

If not call Taurus at phone # 305-624-1115 and talk to Customer Service as Kansas-plainsman suggests. Tell them what you need to find out. A number of members have found out that way.

The fax number to Taurus USA if you are lucky enough to have access to one is FAX# 305-623-7506. This way there are three possible ways to find out what you need.

Taurus models 669,689,608, and 66 are the predominant models from what little you have given us to work with. Giving us the number of charge holes in the cylinder would have narrowed this down a bit.
Maybe. 669,689, or 66 would be by best guess if adjustable sights are on the gun. $250 puts those three models in the ballpark. Model 606s and 607s also exist. All these models, except the 608, have similar ancestery.

Let us know the result of your research.

·
Super Moderator
35,599 Posts
Flip open the cylinder. The model number should be stamped into the frame behind the cylinder crane, or at least it is on my M66s. My M85 has a serial number there, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies. Qwiks draw and the rest, right on the money. I did not see that link when I was on the site.

Found out it is a model 66B4 made in 1990.

It must have spent it's entire life in the sock drawer.

It was acquired with about 20 other guns in an estate sale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.