Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 5-shot, 2" barrel Taurus .38SP that I inhereted. It may be anywhere from 10 to 30 years old as far as I know (???). I know it has after market grips. I looked for a number under the grips, but it has no model number anywhere.

Can someone tell me what the model number is on this revolver.

DSCN2419-1.JPG

DSCN2420-1.JPG

Reactions: JimmyA

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
Open the Cylinder, it will be on the crane and it is a model 85. I have one just like it from 1983. It is extremely accurate for a snub and has a great single action trigger. If it has been fired a lot, the double action should be fairly good also. It is my wife's car gun.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Open the Cylinder, it will be on the crane and it is a model 85. I have one just like it from 1983. It is extremely accurate for a snub and has a great single action trigger. If it has been fired a lot, the double action should be fairly good also. It is my wife's car gun.
Jake, thanks.
I looked at the crane an it has 4 numbers but none are "85". I now have looked everywhere on this pistol and I see no model numbers. I did search for images of model 85's and I can see that that is what this one is. This pistol has probably been shot a lot and it has some holster wear on the end of the barrel and cylinder, but not bad at all really. The DA feels pretty smooth, just testing it some w/o actually dry firing it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW - Along with this pistols, I also received a H&R single shot rifle (with scope) chambered in .22 HORNET. It's in pretty good shape too. I'm really happy to have both and to add to my collection.

I haven't shot either of these guns yet, but hope to soon, if the weather permits.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What "frame size" is the Model 85?
I ask to see if a S&W J-frame holster will fit it. They look a lot alike to me, but not sure of physical size for a correct fit.

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
I think it is an I frame, just a little smaller than a model 10. It is the same frame size as the Detective special and the Chief's Special

1 - 7 of 7 Posts