Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tax man was nice this year and ended up with a new Judge and starting with reloading. What type of loads are you guys running through these guns? Mostly cowboy action loads, something close to 230gr in the 45acp or has anyone tried a hot load in the +p range.

One of the reasons for getting into reloading is the cost of the 45 colt. Haven't found any cheap places for ammo and the cheaper ones are the cowboy loads. But I like the idea of this gun for home defense and jhp's are expensive.

So I'm looking to make up some fmj or lead bullets that will come close to weight, energy and kick so my time at the range can mimic the effect of the jhp's that will be used for home defense.

But I see in other forums that the is a +p load that is used in certain guns but not recommended for others. Since the Taurus web site says there guns can handle +p loads I was wondering if it was safe in the Judge? And if it's safe what loads are you trying?
:???:

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I went thru these questions some months ago. I do not reload, but according to everything I have found, read, or had told to me. If you do not exceed the Sammi spec for +P, and follow the loading manuals for cartridge gr. and powder gr. you should be OK. The Judge is based on the Tracker Frame from everything I know, so probably just about anything you could do to a Tracker you could do out of the Judge. I personally do not plan to fire anything below 185 gr, or over 255 JHP's from a company that makes them for me. Primary round is 200 fmj, my PD round is the 255 JHP. If those do not stop em, I deserve what I get.

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
I shoot 250gr. bullets using 7.5grs. of W231. My guns are a Ruger .45 Colt Single Action and also a Winchester rifle chambered in .45 Colt. I don't do cowboy action ar anything like that. I know in shooting 1/2 inch steel silhouette targets that you defininately know you got it. I think it's a great self defense load. :thumb: :angel:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts