Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't yet gotten my 1911 but I like to get all my ducks in a row before I do something so I'm just trying to get a general concensus of what everyone is shooting. What rounds work well and those that don't. What do yall reckon would be the best self defense round for the 1911? I was thinking of some HS 230 JHP but then I heard some bad reviews about those and started thinking of some Gold Dots? Likewise whats the best round to spit out at the range?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Blazer brass or winchester 230 ball for paper....
and cor-bon pow-r-ball for carry. My PT1911 has gone hru every thing I put in it including some old hand loaded swc that wouldn't function in my springfield(I traded it for the brand new Taurus.Even trade.

The shop still has one PT 1911 on the shelf at $529,its in Blue Ridge Ga

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
For target practice I'm now primarily using Blazer aluminum and sometimes Blazer brass. WWB, S&B and MagTech I use from time to time too but now much less frequently since I switched to Blazer.

For SD, I'm currently using Speer Gold Dots in my .45s and 9mms. I intend on giving Buffalo Bore's 45 ACP and 9mm a try though at some future point.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#45acp

185 gr. JHP @ 1150 fps (543 ft. lbs.)

200 gr. JHP @ 1050 fps (490 ft. lbs.)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
When I carried my 1911 I loaded it with 230gr Hydra-Shoks without any worries about the ammo.

I'd be very comfortable using any premium bullet from a major US manufacturer (I don't trust the level of engineering for foreign expanding ammo). Whether its a Hydra-Shok, Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Silvertip, Tactical (or whatever Federal calls the newer design), or anything from Corbon (I'm probably missing some but you get the idea) the current crop of designs work. However, I would recommend avoiding the 165 gr Federal Personal Defense load (in 45acp) as I haven't heard good things about it.

Just be sure that the load you chose is totally reliable in your gun. Just because it worked in your buddy's gun or my gun doesn't mean it will work in your gun. Don't forget to test it in all the magazines you plan on using for carry as 1911's are finicky at times.

I trusted the HS to work but if I was out or HS I had tested a secondary load that was easy to get locally (and kept a box or two around as a back-up). The WWB 230gr JHP was what I tested and knew would work. I could have just as easily picked the generic Remington or Federal. The bullet used probably doesn't have quite the level of engineering but I knew that it would still work fine out of the 5" barrel.

As far as practice ammo, whatever ball load was cheap. I stayed with 230grs for all the ammo as thats what the gun liked.

Steelheart

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.