Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot Taurus HEX Solid Copper in my 1911 .45 and like it...<:))

Taurus HEX
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/32141-18848-207.html

Bullet Mushroom GEL Picture Comparison Test: "Lets Rip-Up Some Meat"
http://members.aol.com/normtrudeau/TaurusHex.jpg

Best accuracy, 08/22/2007
Reviewer: Grayrock
I tried out several of the most popular cartridges in my PT145. The Taurus Hex ammo was the most accurate. I highly recommend it. Check out other reviews at www.thehighroad.org . I give it 2 guns up!!
One of the best ammo!, 08/09/2007
Reviewer: Kelvin rincon-Galue
Outstanding performance out of my Taurus 24/7 .45ACP (4") No problem what so ever, it is very accurate and it expands up to 0.84" and penetrated deeply after going through 4 layers of denim, water jug and wet phone books! It has low recoil as expected from a 185gr, better for faster follow ups. The copper being stronger and harder metal than lead, it compromises for being 185gr vs. 230gr. (in my opinion!) And the price is very cheap! Hurry Taurus stop production of this ammo!

·
Registered
663 Posts
SgtKnuckles said:
I shoot Taurus HEX Solid Copper in my 1911 .45 and like it...<:))

Hurry Taurus stop production of this ammo!
My self defense magazines are loaded with Taurus Hex.

If Taurus quits Corbon DPX has the Barnes bullet.

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I just run a standard JHP, either from CCI or Collins Cartridge Co. out of Texas. Nothing special for my 45. For PT111, I have some +P rounds that my son gave me, not in a box, but they sure look vicious, he used them when he was a LEO.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like Federal ammo, and use their HydraShok ammo in some of my guns.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Fedral HST's or Winchester Ranger T-series.

·
Registered
267 Posts
.380: Speer GD or HydraShok 90gr JHP. 9mm: Speer 124gr GD or Federal Hydra Shok 124 gr. or WWB 115gr. .38 spec +P/.357 WWB personal defense 115 gr or (prefered) Speer 135 gr GD. Don't have my .45 yet.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Darn, "whoops I almost said D _ _ _" that picture hit me right between the eyes when I opend that post. It does show how it opens up, both layers. geeze, does it come in 45 colt!!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well judging by the tests the federal HST looks extremely nasty.. i wanna pick some up when i get some money, just buying range ammo is putting me in the poor house, esp with Christmas and everything.

for now i've got some wwb jhp's 147gr, yes they also come in hallow points not just fmj.

they're cheap and tests show them to be fairly effective for the money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too carry Winchester Ranger T in the following calibers:

9mm +P+ 127 grain
40 180 grain

I have heard excellent reports about CorBon DPX and will probably transition to that when my stock of Ranger dwindles.

cheers

tire iron

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
124 gr. Speer Gold Dots are what I keep stoked in my 9mm pistols. 158 gr. CCI Blazer hollowpoints for the .357 Magnums.

·
Super Moderator
35,128 Posts
Depends. For marginal velocity loads like the .45 ACP, I go with the Speer Gold Dot 200 grain. For marginal penetration loads like in .380 I like Hornady XTP. In .357, about anything will be effective so long as it has a hole in the front. The XTPs also work well in 115 grain 9mm +P loads. They're quite accurate, normally, and their penetration makes them good choices for hunting in magnum revolvers or the .45 Colt loaded Ruger hot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depending on the situation and which pistol I'm carrying they are in no particular order
Corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST's and Ranger T's in various weights also but I live in a climate that changes 4 times a year along with a very changing populace depending where you are at in the Metro area. I would trust my life to any of these bullets and do !

·
Registered
52 Posts
joe sixpack said:
well judging by the tests the federal HST looks extremely nasty.. i wanna pick some up when i get some money, just buying range ammo is putting me in the poor house, esp with Christmas and everything.

for now i've got some wwb jhp's 147gr, yes they also come in hallow points not just fmj.

they're cheap and tests show them to be fairly effective for the money.
The Federal HST's do look great! I'm currently using Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok's in my 1911 45 ACP clone. You won't find the HST's listed in the regular Federal ballistics tables because they were intended for law enforcement only. Streicher's and a few other places have them online however and I think I'll pick up some in the +P version. My 1911 clone is plenty strong enough for +P. Here's a link to a place that has (or at least had) them a little cheaper than Streicher's ($22.95 for a box of 50):
http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/pistol-ammo-23/45-acp-76/hollow-point-ammo-122/50rds-45-acp-federal-le-tactical-hst-230gr-p-hp-ammo-1393.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Although it feeds anything I have put in it, I carry Hornady 200+P Tap in mt PT145. Dead on accurate, low flash powder, nickel coating to improve feeding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is this company - Ammunition to Go reliable? My son just ordered a sizable amount of .223
from them a few days ago. Thanks, Digger Doug

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
diggerdoug said:
Is this company - Ammunition to Go reliable? My son just ordered a sizable amount of .223
from them a few days ago. Thanks, Digger Doug
Very reliable---I use them a lot.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts