Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently in Wisconsin there's no wait for long guns and 48 hours for handguns.
However, the Governor just voiced some support to do away with that 48 hour wait period, so here's to hoping.
I live in a city where handgun sales have been banned, so dealer purchases currently require two trips out of town. :rolleyes:

Editing this to update a new change in Wisconsin.
Effective Friday, June 26th, 2015, the 48 hour mandatory waiting period for handgun purchases from a dealer will be no more.

-Long guns did not and still do not have a waiting period
-Instead of a mandatory 48 hour waiting period and 3 day possible extended wait if problems come up with your background check, it is now a 5-day period that the background check folks have to get back to the dealer. They are still instructed to process them expediently, from what I've heard, since in practice they can now drag their feet to make people wait even longer than 48 hours if so inclined, for a de facto waiting period.
-The bill also included harsher punishments for criminals who should not have guns. This part of the bill doesn't get enough attention, imo. Harsher punishment for criminals and fewer restrictions on the law-abiding.
-The bill also allows off-duty, retired, and even out-of-state LEO to conceal carry in schools. Hopefully this is a small step toward allowing staff to carry.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
only wait time i have is the long wait for the money to build up in my wallet and then about 15 mins in the store

Creek

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Just the time it takes to fill out all the damn paperwork and the mandatory records check....

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Zero, zilch, nada, nien

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Same here in Ga. Nads, zilch. Typical time to fill out 4473 and let them do NICS call ~ 30 min and you are done. If you have a GWL. You bypass NICS and shave off maybe 5-10 min.

And you can buy as many as you want whenever you want and no gun registry in Ga either.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Paper work and phone call.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
No wait in Mississippi. If I go to my favorite gun store, Dad's Super Pawn in Gulfport, I don't even have to fill out the Brady form because they have my first form in their system. I just show then my CHL, sign the completed form after they print it, pay the man and walk out the door. Dad's is the best gun shop I have ever found. 95% of the weapons are NIB and most are 10% over their cost with several hundred pistols and long guns stock. They let their products sell themselves and don't offer opinions unless you ask.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
i havent bought a gun since i have got my permit... wonder if it will speed up my next purchase. (Because 15 mins is just too long of a await! haha)

Creek

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
Paperwork and done..:D

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Florida has a three day waiting period which is waived if you have a concealed carry permit. (Reason alone to get one!) Paperwork and phone call, as always.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Florida has a three day waiting period which is waived if you have a concealed carry permit. (Reason alone to get one!) Paperwork and phone call, as always.
With a CHL in Texas you fill out the paper work but they don't call it in.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Two waits, one to get the money and one to make up your mind on what to get.

Sarge

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Form 4473, show CHL, pay. The longest wait is filling out the 4473, and the card transaction. Georgia rocks.:D

·
Super Moderator
17,621 Posts
24 hours for a long gun, and 72 hours for a handgun. In addition you have to have the state-issued FOID (Firearms Owners Identification) which takes a couple-three of weeks to get, once you have your driver's license.

One of the problems is when they get behind issuing you the FOID. If you move here with firearms it all gets very iffy and ill-defined. Once you get your DL you are a resident. Residents have 30 days to get an FOID. I put mine in the mail the same day I got my DL and barely beat the 30 day deadline. If you are in possession of a firearm or ammunition you have to have the FOID on your person. Yes, you need the card to buy ammo. Sometimes they want it for powder and primers, sometimes they don't. Another gray area.

I have little hope that will change anytime soon, unless the NRA goes after them ala California. But I don't really find it a big deal.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Currently in Wisconsin there's no wait for long guns and 48 hours for handguns.
However, the Governor just voiced some support to do away with that 48 hour wait period, so here's to hoping.
I live in a city where handgun sales have been banned, so dealer purchases currently require two trips out of town. :rolleyes:
Iowa is "no wait" for any gun if you have a purchase permit from the Sheriff to buy a handgun, or a concealed carry permit. Otherwise, no wait for long guns. In Iowa you cannot get a handgun unless the Sheriff of your county gives you a permit.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Just the time it takes to fill out all the damn paperwork and the mandatory records check....
Same here. Before the Brady Bill, Alabama had a 48 hour hold on handgun sales but did away with it when the 'instant' background check system was put in place.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
No wait here in Minnesota. Just do the paperwork and pay the man and you are out the door.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts