Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a thread and there was some damage and they said it looked like someone had been doing this. So i was wondering what could be actual damage by slapping it closed or flipping it up or whatever i have no intentions of doing this . But i am so curious as to what could really go wrong? I am kinda ignorant to revolvers so im just trying to feed my knowledge thanx guys in advance

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
"Flipping" the cylinder of a revolver can bend the crane and cause timing issues and in extreme cases cause it to not lock up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohhhhh okayyyy that makes since i wonder why people do it i mean i see it in the movies but thats the movies u can shoot a guy with a .357 and they go flying 20 yards lol but thanx for the info buddy what do you think of the model 66?

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Unfortunately Hollywood created this problem starting with gangster movies from the 1930's on. You see James Cagney and Humprey Bogart "slamming" the cylinders closed on their S&W and Colt revolvers and this carried right on up to through the 40's, 50's, 60's ad nausem.

This practice can bend or warp the cylinder crane and cause all sorts of nasty problems from timing, to chamber misalignments to total malfunctioning.

One of the first things one should do when purchasing a revolver, especially an older/used revoler is exam the gap between the crane and frame. With the revolver empty,and the cylinder closed, look at the area where the two join. There should be only a "hair line" gap where the two parts meet. If there is a noticable gap, especially one that's wider at the top, that's a good indicator that this revolver has been abused. Pass on it.

·
Administrator
35,181 Posts
Bending the crane would be the most common issue. That will ruin your whole day.

Read an article from a gun mag about 15 years ago that listed a litany of bad habits you pick up from watching Hollywierd movies. Included were the one mentioned, as well as opening a double barrel shotgun and whipping the barrels back up to lock it, "fanning" a revolver, and many others.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
as well as opening a double barrel shotgun and whipping the barrels back up to lock it
HAHA! A buddy once tried that at the range to show off. We all laughed at him because all it did was throw the shells right back out of the chambers. LoL

what do you think of the model 66?
If you mean the Taurus M66, I love it. I have an older (1989) 6 shot model with a 3" barrel and it is one of the best revolvers I've ever shot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is great advice, thank you for posting that. It confirms what I was always told about revolver care and feeding.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
These days the cylinder is so much heavier than the frame with the ultra lights and polymer styles, it's surprising you haven't had someone flip it shut and watch the entire loaded cylinder just roll straight out the frame and across the ground.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks, Jonney304, for starting this thread.

I've learned something from reading the knowledgeable responses you've received in response to your question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts