Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Judge 3" Magnum and have only shot 5 rounds of #4 shot 9 pellet rounds which did just fine. What I would like to know is just what kind of .45 rounds besides the Colt will it shoot. I was at Wal-Mart the other day and seen a value pack of .45 rounds for 32 dollars. It did not say Colt on it so I didn't purchase. Since this has such a long chamber (3") can it shoot any standard .45 rounds. Or does it have to be the Colt or APC? What about th +p or +P+? I am not familiar with this size of ammo at all. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Do not shoot 45 Colt +P in a Judge...and its a no go on 45 acp also...just use standard pressure 45 Colt ammo (45 Long Colt) as it is sometimes referred to ...

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my understnading the Colt .45 are also called longs. So if a regular size .45 would be shorter and less powerful is this correct? And it would not fire properly in the Judge Magnum? Just trying to get some cheap plinkers.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
There is not actually a 45 Long Colt. They got the name due to when introduced, the round,45 Schofield, it replaced was shorter than the 45 Colt. Hence, 45 Long Colt. You can shoot 45 Schofield out of a 45 Colt. Unfortunately, there is not a very cheap 45 Colt round for plinking. You can do a search for some companies that offer reloads which is usually cheaper than factory new.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
There are models of 45's that shoot what was known as Schofield 45s or 45 short. They are not really for the JUDGE. Any standard power 45 colt, or long colt, or LC should work with no problem. Like others said any 410, newer ones even say handgun on the box, should work just fine in a 3" chambered JUDGE.

Please save your money and do not buy slug 410s, as a 45 colt give much more accurate shooting. Anything from light loaded cowboy loads, up to full power 255 gr plus will work just fine in a standard JUDGE.

Now on the new Raging JUDGE, all bets are off as they are rated for 454 down, so +p 45 would be OK, in my opinion. Enjoy your JUDGE, I DO MINE!!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
From my understnading the Colt .45 are also called longs. So if a regular size .45 would be shorter and less powerful is this correct? And it would not fire properly in the Judge Magnum? Just trying to get some cheap plinkers.
The 45 Colt (Long Colt) will actually fire the 45 Schofield (short) rounds just fine. 45 Schofield came about due to a gun made in 1869 by S&W. The cylinder was a bit too short to shot the 45 Colt. In 1873 when the Army bought half of their guns from Colt and the rest from S&W they used Schofield ammo in both and basically let the 45 Colt die for awhile in Military use. Now Schofield replicas shot 45 Colt but my 1873 Colts shot Schofield's fine also. Now keep in mind the ammo of the day was all black powder as smokeless came along in 1892.

.45 Schofield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've not found any cheap, plinking ammo in .45 Colt. Please let us know if you do. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Rossi Circuit Judge in blue, same as thejudge magnum with a 3" chamber. I got it for xmas and I took it outshooting yesterday for the first time, wow was I impressed. The 45 colt shellswhere accurate and had very little kick. The 410 shells were a different story.Russian Silver Bear 3”magnum shells. They are a very powerful round, abouttwice that the kick of a 45 colt 255gr cowboy load but, they expand in the 45colt portion of the cylinder when fired and have a tendency to stick in thechambers or split. I fired 10 rounds and all of them stuck and one split fromthe neck of the 45colt to about an inch down the case towards the rim. Isuggest to only firing plastics, not any full case 410 shells. You can not fire 45ACP in the Judge magnum. The rim of the 45acp is not big enough to seat and the entire round will go into the chamber.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
I have heard, from several sources that the all metal 410's Russian type and others will not work well in the JUDGE. Some of the short brass, regular 410 rds have gotten stuck also. I have not had the problem, but Silver Bear might be a rd to stay away from and try some Federal, Remington, and Winchester rds to be sure.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If you want cheap plinking rounds for the .45LC, then you will need to reload. With reloading you can go cheap cast hard lead (buy local and save the freight) with good velocity using Trail Boss powder and those cases will last just about forever. It you look around, you may find a local Cowboy Action shooting club. There you should be able to find loaded .45LC ammo at some good prices.

For SD I carry Speer's 250 grain Gold Dots, but for a little cheaper price you can get Hornady's excellent 225 grain FTX in their Leverlution line. The FTX rounds have about the same recoil as the Federal PD BS, but when those big Gold Dots go off you can definitely tell it has the heavier bullet.

The Federal PD in #000 Buck Shot is the best .410 SD round offering excellent payload, very good accuracy and range (for a short rifle barreled shotgun) out to 25 yards. Go #8 or #9 for snakes and other pests out to about 15 feet. Those PD #4's are good if you are worried about over-penetration. At up to about 10 feet it's just one massive hole.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from shooting .45 Auto in the Judge. The SAMMI pressure rating for the .45 Auto is 21,000 psi, but the .45LC is 14,000 psi and the .410 is even less. Without data to prove otherwise, .45 Auto, aka, 45 ACP, could make your Judge go KABOOM. And in the case of a cylinder going KABOOM, it is usually your hands and your eyes that take the brunt of the damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If by shorter you mean the Schofield - yes. However, since it is harder to find than 45LC I imagine you are referring to 45 acp. The answer to that is a resounding NO!!!!! Not only is it rimless and won't seat without moon clips, SAAMI pressure for the acp is 21,000 psi where the LC is 14,000 psi. Do NOT try 45 acp in a Judge!!!!! There is NOTHING cheap to shoot in the judge unless you reload your own ammo - factory 410's are expensive and 45LC is expensive.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wasn't referring to the ACP, was at Wal-Mart and seen a box through the locked glass case, couldn't read it well but I did see .45. Box seem short to a LC. Didn't have much time to track someone down but it was $32.$$ for a box of 100. Was hoping someone could shed some light on it. Don't get to Wal-Mart much to follow up. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wasn't referring to the ACP, was at Wal-Mart and seen a box through the locked glass case, couldn't read it well but I did see .45. Box seem short to a LC. Didn't have much time to track someone down but it was $32.$$ for a box of 100. Was hoping someone could shed some light on it. Don't get to Wal-Mart much to follow up. Thanks for your reply.
I can't speak to Ohio Walmart's, but I routinely go to several around here in southeast Kansas, northeast Oklahoma and southwest Missouri. After the Judge came about, they started stocking 45 Colt whereas before they didn't. My guess is that the Judge has single-handedly really caused a surge in 45 Colt ammo sales.

I've never seen a 100 pack of 45 Colt's anywhere. My educated guess is that you were looking at 45 ACP ammo.

The Judge should be safe with anything up to rounds that would be safe in a Smith and Wesson 25 or a modern Colt Peacemaker. 45 Colt Blackhawk/Contender only rounds/loads are unsuitable due to higher pressures. This pretty much leaves standard and Cowboy (low-powered target) loads as your options. As was said, 45 Schofields may be safely used as they are just a shorter version the military used in the Schofield, which was introduced in 1875, not 1869.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't speak to Ohio Walmart's, but I routinely go to several around here in southeast Kansas, northeast Oklahoma and southwest Missouri. After the Judge came about, they started stocking 45 Colt whereas before they didn't. My guess is that the Judge has single-handedly really caused a surge in 45 Colt ammo sales.

I've never seen a 100 pack of 45 Colt's anywhere. My educated guess is that you were looking at 45 ACP ammo.

The Judge should be safe with anything up to rounds that would be safe in a Smith and Wesson 25 or a modern Colt Peacemaker. 45 Colt Blackhawk/Contender only rounds/loads are unsuitable due to higher pressures. This pretty much leaves standard and Cowboy (low-powered target) loads as your options. As was said, 45 Schofields may be safely used as they are just a shorter version the military used in the Schofield, which was introduced in 1875, not 1869.
I think your right about the ACP's went back and didn't see that box again. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Gang! Someone had told me that you could NOT shoot the 2 1/2" 410 shells out of a Judge with a 3" cylinder...is that correct? That was the whole reason I bought a Judge with the 2 1/2" cylinder, otherwise I would have purchased the larger one. I did just purchase the Circuit Judge today as well (with the stainless barrel :eek:) ) and was really hoping I could fire 2 1/2" shells out of it as well. However, I don't want to screw something up by trying to do so....So, will it fire both 2 1/2" and 3"?? Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just so you know, the reason for not using 45 acp (they will load with moon clips) is because there is a possiblilty of the round not going through the chamber to the barrel perfectly. That would be bad. That being said I have been told the 2 1/2" judge is safe to shoot acp. Hard to believe that 1/2" makes a difference but I'm not going to chance it with my 3" magnum. And as far as 45 Long +P, read this link and you will quickly understand why you would be crazy to fire them out of a standard judge.

45 Colt Ballistics | Ballistics 101

I bet you could though......once.

And I am still chuckling a bit from the comment of looking for cheap LC 45. You look for that and I'll keep looking for that flying pig, we both got about the same chances....

Seriously though the best ive found is blazer one shot ammo. about $34 a box for 50. That is the best i've found.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Hey Gang! Someone had told me that you could NOT shoot the 2 1/2" 410 shells out of a Judge with a 3" cylinder...is that correct? That was the whole reason I bought a Judge with the 2 1/2" cylinder, otherwise I would have purchased the larger one. I did just purchase the Circuit Judge today as well (with the stainless barrel :eek:) ) and was really hoping I could fire 2 1/2" shells out of it as well. However, I don't want to screw something up by trying to do so....So, will it fire both 2 1/2" and 3"?? Thanks!
Shooting the 2 1/2" out of the 3" chamber will not be a problem. Did they give you a reason? It will not hurt anything.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
45 colt only. As far as 410 ammo, you can shoot 2 1/2" or 3". Stay away from slugs as they do not provide any advantage over 45 Colt and will usually not be very accurate due to the fact that they are undersized. There is some great SD rounds for the Judge being produced now. Here is some of the latest that I have used through my Judge with great results. Lehigh Defense | Ammunition and projectile products for Hunting, Personal Defense, Law Enforcement and Military applications
What about the Winchester riffled slug that came out. Looks like it may do well since it's riffled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts