Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier I went to one of the local gun stores in my area with the intent of purchasing another XD in either 9mm or .45 ACP (had decided upon the brand but not the chambering) when one of the sales guys throws me for a loop. You see, we'd been engaging in idle chit chat above the part of the case that was partitioned and allocated for the XDs & XDms but the Springfield display butted up against the S&W display and he and I were hovering dangerously near there. With my little eye I spied a firearm I never thought I would end up with - and ultimately didn't - the S&W SD9VE. I asked to inspect it and after giving it a thorough going-over I planned to purchase it but then after looking to my right I saw the full-sized M&P9. An inspection of that firearm followed the SD9VE and I was extremely impressed. Loved the grip and feel of it in my hand, the texturing wasn't too aggressive and it didn't feel top-heavy in hand either. The trigger pull was IMO excellent as well and what I considered to be crisp - not mushy at all like my SW40VE. So in the end the XD I had intended to buy stayed on the shelf and I brought home a the M&P9 instead.

No pictures to offer yet, I haven't even had an opportunity to run a magazine or two with it but that's forthcoming.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations on your new pistol!

I'll be looking forward to reading your appraisal of it once you've spent some firing time with it; and...of course, I'll enjoy salivating over any pictorial offerings you may proffer.

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Super Moderator
14,007 Posts
Congratulations on your new pistol!...of course, I'll enjoy salivating over any pictorial offerings you may proffer.
If you place your new pistol on top of a picket fence when you take pictures for the "pictorial offerings" (like a certain unnamed member of this forum does), he'll be even more pleased.

Reactions: Boom

·
Administrator
18,410 Posts
Congratulations! :cool: Look forward to reading a Range Report on it.

I do like the Grip on the S&W SD9VE and sort of wish the M&P's still had that same grip angle. I know I could do a trigger job on an SD9VE which would take the mush out of it. I do like the Frame construction of the M&P line, which is interestingly similar to the Gen 1 Taurus 24/7's.

·
Registered
29,959 Posts
"FIT" goes a long way in determining what's welcome en mi casa.

Congratulations...ENJOY!
:icon_ lala:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Congrats! Never held one myself but I know a few who own one and they really like their M&P

·
Registered
526 Posts
Congrats! I love the M&Ps, they are great guns. The grip is one of the most comfortable, for my hands. I just like palmswells I guess. Now just throw an Apex trigger kit in there and then you'll REALLY love that trigger =)

Oh yeah...
:nopics:

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I recently picked up a new M&P40C w/safety. Was impressed with the apparent quality, weight (few oz's heavier than my PT140), feel, and with the large palmswell it's very pleasant to hold and shoot. My Slims had dampened my enthusiasm for a Shield, but after the M&P40C it has risen to new levels - although I will still wait until prices stabilize on the Shields along with availability.

The difference between the SW40VE and SD40VE is night and day, add in the MP40C and it's trigger is like butter in comparison. There is a reason the M&P is a couple hundred +/- dollars more expensive than the SW/SDxxVE's. In any case, they are all good pistols for the bucks and fun to shoot. I believe you'll not regret your decision.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The newer SD series are pretty nice pistols; they are a pretty significant improvement over earlier versions in my book and appear to share a lot of lineage with the M&P family, so they appear to be very good value.

But, if the budget allows, I really don't think you can go wrong stepping up to the M&P; I've become a huge fan of them over the last couple of years. The grip design is top-notch (particularly for folks with very small or very large hands), muzzle flip is well controlled, plus they are quite accurate and reliable. Congrats!

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Yeah I've been there... go in for one thing come out with something else! :D :D

Congratulations on the new purchase, enjoy!!!

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
My Slims had dampened my enthusiasm for a Shield, but after the M&P40C it has risen to new levels - although I will still wait until prices stabilize on the Shields along with availability.
Yeah I'd love a Shield in .40 S&W but good luck finding one without ordering it!

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Yeah I'd love a Shield in .40 S&W but good luck finding one without ordering it!
One of these days when I walk into one of my two Academy stores and ask "Any Shields??" and instead of laughing, they will say, "yes - what caliber would you like?" "We have them on sale this month for $349!" LOL

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Super Moderator
20,080 Posts
Sounds like you came out pretty well - even if you were suckered into a classic upsell technique - getting you to hover over the counter close enough to have your peripheral vision invaded by a looker. My LGS tried the same thing - they put a pressure plate on the top glass so when I leaned on it, the light went out and I had to kneel down and press my nose against the glass to see what was on the bottom shelf. I ended up buying a bottom shelf "under the shadow" firearm. Then they got the short fixed so the light stays on all the time now:D

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Earlier I went to one of the local gun stores in my area with the intent of purchasing another XD in either 9mm or .45 ACP (had decided upon the brand but not the chambering) when one of the sales guys throws me for a loop. You see, we'd been engaging in idle chit chat above the part of the case that was partitioned and allocated for the XDs & XDms but the Springfield display butted up against the S&W display and he and I were hovering dangerously near there. With my little eye I spied a firearm I never thought I would end up with - and ultimately didn't - the S&W SD9VE. I asked to inspect it and after giving it a thorough going-over I planned to purchase it but then after looking to my right I saw the full-sized M&P9. An inspection of that firearm followed the SD9VE and I was extremely impressed. Loved the grip and feel of it in my hand, the texturing wasn't too aggressive and it didn't feel top-heavy in hand either. The trigger pull was IMO excellent as well and what I considered to be crisp - not mushy at all like my SW40VE. So in the end the XD I had intended to buy stayed on the shelf and I brought home a the M&P9 instead.

No pictures to offer yet, I haven't even had an opportunity to run a magazine or two with it but that's forthcoming.
Congrat's on the new shooter

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
"What Just Happened?" I think it's called firearm delirium. You have a particular item in your sights, and then you sidetracked, then sidetracked again. Congrats on the new S&W, but I think that the XD is still waiting for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts