Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering, what is your preference shooting your Taurus. indoor or outdoor ranges. i have been to both, and to tell you the truth, i like the outside range better. indoor range, you can shoot without interuptions of a cease fire to let new shooter to set up their targets. but the outside range, you have much more room, casings arent hittin you in the face, cause of the walls on each side of you, and outside is more old school.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use both, depending on convenience. From the house, I go to an outdoor range. From the office, I go to an indoor range. When travelling, I go to what I can find.

Both have pro's & con's....so in my book, they are about equal......with a slight preference given to the outdoor range.

·
Administrator
40,171 Posts
Definately the outdoors. Generally the weather here allows it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I prefer outdoors, but I have 24/7 access to an indoor range two miles from home at work. It's true about the brass hitting you indoors, I have a burn over my right eyebrow to prove it from Sat. afternoon.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I say outdoors. I belong to an outdoor club and don't know of any indoor ranges in the area. The club I belong to is pretty open and you can almost always get into a lane right away. Weekends are sometimes busy but I like to go on weekdays.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I prefer outdoors, but find most of my shooting is done at the indoor range because of time. By the time I get off work, run home and get my range bag the sun is down. I'm fortunate that the range I shoot at has pistol and rifle ranges allowing more diversity. Also, they don't seem to have any limitations on what you can bring in.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
+1 for outdoor range.

One thing I don't like about indoor ranges is the lead dust in the air. Sure some have good ventilation but not all; my old club had both indoor and an outdoor range, the indoor range was lead only and there was no ventilation (it was in the basement of a clubhouse) needless to say I never shot there. Recently (after a move) I joined another club this one outdoor only...

·
Registered
202 Posts
outdoors love the fresh air

·
32,658 Posts
Prefer the outdoors, but am limited to mostly indoor ranges because of weather recently. Too many here will have something to say something about the winter weather. :mad: ;D :D

Had the old range in Hampton,Virginia that shot back. Partially jacketed or FMJ bullets broke up on the backstop and large pieces would come back and smack the shooter. Some pieces could draw blood or cause good size bruises. :'( :rolleyes: :eek: Could happen several times a session. This place was the only game in town at the time. Ah,good times, good times.

Found out fast why eye protection was so important. Wore long sleeved shirts and pants when in that place.

Hope they took care of that since the late 1980s.

The gun store is still there. Clerks were first rate.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
prefer outdoors but only when the weather is nice, this includes no rain or excessive wind,heat, or cold.

it's not as loud, fresh air..

otherwise i like indoor range, can change targets as much as you want.. no wind to worry about.. dont have to worry about excessive heat or cold.

the down side is difficult to find a indoor rifle range.. the range i've been going to is only 50 feet.. wish it was 25 yards.. can take pistol caliber carbines and .22lr's there though which is still fun to fire off.

indoors is also louder and after about 15mins can taste gun powder.. it's definitely more "dirty"

so nice weather outdoors.. other wise indoors would be my preference.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Indoors for me since that is what is currently available and free. Thank you Arizona DPS. ;) :)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Always outdoors for me.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Always outdoors for me, too. The only exception is when I have to do a range qualification.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
would have to say outdoors also! I have never shot in an indoor range. One locally looks great, and the other looks like the pit from hell!
Even my qualification next week for CCW will be outdoors. I am praying for no rain or snow, two hours in the rain or snow would just about do me in.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Outdoor is my preference. Not only ranges, but by going to one of my favorite plinking spots, I can play a bit more by exploding water jugs, pop cans, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
outdoors....only been to one indoor range, it was hot, smoky and way to small....and it was WAY LOUDER....just not for me.

Only thing I liked was the electronin target thingy ;D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used to shoot almost exclusively indoors, but these days I've gotten to the point where I hate shooting indoors. Too much smoke, too crowded, brass bouncing off the wall back onto my head, etc.

I'll shoot outdoors from now on unless it is not an option.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I really like outdoors. I can see better, as the light in the indoor range I shoot at isn't too good.
And my eyes aren't as good as they used to be either. When the range goes cold you get a better chance to visit with other shooters and see what they have.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I like our Outdoor Free County Range... It's so much more Festive...<:)) The indoor Ranges around here in Florida cost from $8.00 to $14.00 dollars per hour... Even the spectators have to pay that same rate to get through the Range Door...<:-(( There goes My Lunch Money...<:-(( Lady's Shoot Free on Tuesday & Thursdays, that's when I take the Wife, and two Girls to the indoor Range...<:)) We can shoot comfortably outside all year round in Florida...<:))

1 - 20 of 21 Posts