Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to what everyone else has found to be their most accurate 45acp load. I will start with mine, I have found my most accurate at all ranges is Nosler 185 Gr. JHP over 6.0 gr. of Vihtavouri N320. Now using same projectile, primer and mixed cases but using Titegoup 5.2 gr. there is only a 1/4" difference in group size at 50 yds. so for the cost savings I use Titegroup far more than the N320. Also the Zero 185 Gr. JHP is almost the same as the Nosler performance wise but is about half the price. Now at 25 yds. I have found 200 gr. LSWC over (don't laugh) 3.7 gr of Titegroup. Of course these loads are out of my pistols and barrels.

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
As far as accuracy goes, I've had really good luck with the Hornady 185 grain XTP bullet. I can't remember if I was using Titegroup or HP-38, but one of those loads was so accurate it was scary. I'll have to go back to my spreadsheet and see if I made a note.

Reactions: muddcatt54 and oso

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Really depends on the gun. My PT145 seems to like 185s. I load it was the FTX Critical Defense which shoots well, but it also shoots 185XTPs well, just don't feed 'em that well. However, the Ruger P90 has always liked 200 grain Speer over 7.5 grains Unique.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Still working on it but so far I am liking a 200ge Flat Point Berry's with Silhouette powder. Still working with a 185gr Berry's with AA#2.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
Really depends on the gun. My PT145 seems to like 185s. I load it was the FTX Critical Defense which shoots well, but it also shoots 185XTPs well, just don't feed 'em that well. However, the Ruger P90 has always liked 200 grain Speer over 7.5 grains Unique.

When was that picture taken? I haven't seen dot matrix paper in 10 years.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
When was that picture taken? I haven't seen dot matrix paper in 10 years.
Lessee, about umm, maybe 1992 or 1993. The P90 was new then. :D I had a Tandy Color III I ran my own ballistics software on and printed my own targets. I didn't see the need, at the time, for a $1500 desk top PC. We got one, finally, when the internet became available in 1996.

Now, that ballistics software I wrote was originally written for a Timex Sinclair 16K toy computer and it worked very well, but the heat tape paper that the printer used on that "computer" was a joke. You might laugh at 16K, but I learned Fortran and COBOL on an IBM 1620 main frame which filled a room with hardware and was only 16K core memory. It did have a huge hard disc. It was mesmerizing watching the head on that multi-tier hard disc move in and out. :laugh: I thought, at the time, the little Timex was pretty awesome, as much core memory as that old IBM main frame and fit on a desk! Of course, here, a quarter century later, my cell phone packs a 16 GIG micro-SD chip. :rolleyes: Yes, and no more punch cards or keypunch machines. Times have changed.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
And, my wife corrected me, of course, that the Timex didn't have "core" memory which refers to a specific antiquated design that the IBM used. She's a stickler for such detail having her PhD in computer science. She loves to correct me, too, over such little insignificant gaffs. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
40,397 Posts
My favorite .45acp load is, 230gr., hard cast lead bullet, over 5.0grs. Bullseye. Got the recipe years ago from a bowling pin shooter. Hard hitting and accurate, as evidenced on steel gongs.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
My favorite .45acp load is, 230gr., hard cast lead bullet, over 5.0grs. Bullseye. Got the recipe years ago from a bowling pin shooter. Hard hitting and accurate, as evidenced on steel gongs.
I load the same charge of the same powder under a 200 grain SWC I cast from a Lee mold. I like that bullet so much I bought a 6 cavity mold for it a while back. BUT, my PT145 doesn't like it at all. Groups look more like shotgun patterns. My Ruger loves it, though. The target on the right in that pic above was shot with it, the one on the left shot with Speer JHPs.

At this point, I'm not sure I'm too worried about getting a mold the PT145 likes. I can just feed it Federal ball in aluminum cases for practice.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I load 5.0 gr of 231/HP38 behind a 230 gr RN. For the 200 gr Flat Point I use about 5.3 gr of 231/HP38. Both loads produce the same grouping from both my Ruger KP90DC and Springfield XD-45 Mod.2 subcompact. I haven't tried powders other than Unique and Bullseye. I've never been able to get Unique or Bullseye to work very well in my Ruger though they worked very well in an old Colt 1911 I used to have years ago (when Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot or 700X were all that one could find for pistol powders for the .45 ACP).

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
Well as I shoot free hand unsupported and usually at from 7-25 yards indoors it really seems to be more the particular day and the particular 45 acp that I have with me on that day.
when I shoot outside its at around 35-50 yards (unknown distance) and at steel so all you know is Bang/clink or bang and no clink-- indicating that you missed.
generally I shoot all 200 grain projectiles and usually they are pushed along with Either HS-6 or Accurate #5.
I may have a RN, a SWC, or a FP projectile with me.
accuracy is day in and day out best with my Springfield Armory Range Officer or my CZ 97.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,661 Posts
I also use 5.0 Grains of Bullseye with 230 gr LRN and 230 gr Plated RN. My powder dropper ranges between 4.9 and 5.0 grains with do visible change in performance. Both very accurate in both my PT-145 and PT-1911.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have use a lot of Bullseye over the years and HP-38 both have produced good groups just not as good as N320 or Titegroup. Now the group sizes are not much bigger, I can only tell shooting off a rest, I am not good enough to tell shooting off hand at 50 yds. Heck I can't even see the X or 10 ring at 50 yds. or any ring for that matter, I just aim for the center of the black, same goes at 25 yds. even wearing my glasses. Have you ever shot at NRA 25 yd. and 50 yd. centerfire pistol targets? the X and 10 ring are small, very small.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
5.0 gns Unique under 225gn Mobullet flathead.

·
Administrator
40,397 Posts
I also use 5.0 Grains of Bullseye with 230 gr LRN and 230 gr Plated RN. My powder dropper ranges between 4.9 and 5.0 grains with do visible change in performance. Both very accurate in both my PT-145 and PT-1911.
Same pistols I shoot that load in!

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
I load the same charge of the same powder under a 200 grain SWC I cast from a Lee mold. I like that bullet so much I bought a 6 cavity mold for it a while back. BUT, my PT145 doesn't like it at all. Groups look more like shotgun patterns. My Ruger loves it, though. The target on the right in that pic above was shot with it, the one on the left shot with Speer JHPs.

At this point, I'm not sure I'm too worried about getting a mold the PT145 likes. I can just feed it Federal ball in aluminum cases for practice.

Just goes to show you that different guns that come off the same assembly line have different likes. In my PT145, I can't think of a bullet profile it didn't like, Iran everything through that except wadcutters and it ate it all. I shot some of the hard cast bullets once and never had an issue at all with them through that gun. Gong, gong, gong.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Just goes to show you that different guns that come off the same assembly line have different likes. In my PT145, I can't think of a bullet profile it didn't like, Iran everything through that except wadcutters and it ate it all. I shot some of the hard cast bullets once and never had an issue at all with them through that gun. Gong, gong, gong.
Well, I'm going to try something eventually. I worked a load up that shot pretty well in my 1911 25 or 30 years ago before I got the 200 SWC mold. It's a 220 grain .454" conical for cap and ball guns and I run it through a .451" sizer. It's worth the test. If it did give good results, I'll order a round nose bullet mold in .452".

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Right now I am just starting with the 45acp and have been running 200gr plated RN and FP over these powders, AA#5, Ramshot Silhouette, HP-38 and just started with AA#2 and just started with a 185gr Plated Flat Point that I really haven't shot enough of to form an opinion yet. From what I have shot so far the Ramshot appears to be the most consistent followed by the AA#5.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts