Taurus Firearm Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
18,486 Posts
I've always wanted to go see the Isle of Man races. Dramatic speeds and scenery. Probably the world's most dangerous sporting event, though. On average, two riders dies every year in the TT series. :(
Any kind of racing is dangerous and you don't have to be going fast or fall hard to get killed, just land wrong. Actually, at least in MX and flat track, many injuries and deaths are a result of getting hit by their own bike during the crash or by another rider's after the fact. In woodsy stuff like Grand Prix, Enduro and Hare Scrambles...:dry:...it's usually those blasted trees. Really no rhyme or reason to where they put those things, ya' know...:dunno:...they can just appear outa' nowhere. :dry: A lotta' trees out there that have absolutely no business bein' where they are.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
The Manx TT is held on public roads, no run off, lots of walls. Over 100 years of racing, they've averaged two fatalities per race week. How many races do you know where you are guaranteed 2 people are going to die? To add to the difficulty of the race, the "track" is over 30 miles per lap, though towns, over hill and dale. Hard to get a rhythm on a track you can't learn braking points and lines in morning practice. This is why the world racing sanctioning body (FIM?) no longer sanctions the TT and hasn't for decades. It is still held, of course, mostly crazy Brits, Irishmen, and such.

Longer explanation of the IOM TT.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
NT, thanks for showing me an aspect of motorcycling that will never be in my repertoire.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Well, I got too old and too broke, but even when I was young and dumb, I'd NEVER have ridden the isle. That's just suicidal. It's the single most dangerous race in the history of motorsport. This would include board track.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Well, I got too old and too broke, but even when I was young and dumb, I'd NEVER have ridden the isle. That's just suicidal. It's the single most dangerous race in the history of motorsport. This would include board track.
I clicked on the two links to the videos, and watched in horror/amazement/disbelief as the videos continued to play, one after another, for nearly two hours this afternoon.

·
Registered
18,486 Posts
I worked in a Honda/Yamaha/HD shop from '80-'84 as a mechanic. For some reason, the owner only trusted me to test ride the new bikes and most that came in for work. I put in quite a bit of time on most everything those three put out during that period...:smile:...it was a great job! This was the transition period out of AMF for HD so nothin' much from them is worth mentioning but Yamaha and particularly Honda, were really doing some of their best work during those years.

Having always been a diehard Honda guy, it's painful to admit that the two best street bikes I've ever ridden were Yamahas. In second place, I rate the 500 Virago. The Viragos were a great line, possibly the sharpest-looking street bikes ever produced IMHO. Though the 750 was a nice cruiser, the 500 was faster (quicker) and more fun to ride.
Yamaha_Virago_535_azure_blue.jpg

My absolute favorite was the 550 Maxim.
800px-XJ550.jpg

Not as stylish and cushy as the Virago but that thing would rip! One of the few stone-stock street bikes I've ridden where a conscious effort had to be made to keep the front end down. It was perfect for the twisty, roller coaster roads we have here. The Maxim tracked through even the tightest turns like it was on rails and could accelerate out with a real crack-the-whip sensation. Just an absolute joy to ride.

Oddly enough, I think the absolute worst street bike I've ever ridden was the XV920R. Supposedly one of the Virago line but nothing like the others.
1981_XV920R.jpg

:unsure: Not real sure what they were goin' for here but it didn't come out well at all. It was a great motor, really fast but it was obscenely heavy and handled like a Slinky.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Well, the absolute WORST motorcycle I've ever owned was a Yamaha XS650SF. The motor spent more time on my work bench than on the road. Loved my Yamaha 2 stroke twins, but that XS650 swore me off Yamaha four strokes for a long time. My fave four strokes were Suzukis, though I had a GS1000 that wasn't great. It just had a problem starting from cold, was victim of increased EPA regs. My VX800 was aa WONDERFUL motorcycle, great all around bike. Only think I didn't like about it was the chassis had too much cruiser fork rake/trail. Caused the front to push at high lean angles. You could take it right up to about 90 percent and you'd be find, a little more and you'd be steering into the slide. The engine was a gem, torquey and powerful enough to be the best sidecar bike I've ever used. Me and the kid rode it with the sidecar to Daytona in 1998. That was a memorable trip that's burned into my memory. Again, though, that idiotic cruiser style front end trail numbers cause a great amount of steering effort with the chair attached.

Here's what the VX looked like. It wasn't a cruiser, but a standard bike who's engine was taken from the Intruder line.

1990_VX800_450.jpg

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Honda 250 Rebel (10).jpg

Well, friends and neighbors, I started out on the Honda XL175 street/dirt bike (which showcased on page one of this thread), but...I got back into motorcycling about two weeks ago by scratching the last item off my bucket list (another motorcycle!)

I found this gorgeous 2005 Honda Rebel 250cc street bike, with only 2,030 miles on the odometer, on Craigslist. So...now it is my favorite motorcycle.

Honda 250 Rebel (2).JPG

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
And now, ladies and gentlemen, here it is a little over two months since I posted the 2005 Honda Rebel 250 as my "new" favorite motorcycle, here I am replacing it with, yet another, FAVORITE motorcycle!

2003 Honda Shadow VLX 600cc twin cylinder!

Honda Shadow VLX 600 (10) - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My fave is what I have now. A bit of a modern classic since it only came to the states one year, 1997. It carried me over Beartooth pass Wy. /Mont. last August from Missouri. YZF1000.

Attachments

·
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
My fave is what I have now. A bit of a modern classic since it only came to the states one year, 1997. It carried me over Beartooth pass Wy. /Mont. last August from Missouri. YZF1000.

Beautiful composition of your photograph, BTW. :thumb:

·
Registered
474 Posts
My fave is my 2011 BMW R1200R. It's very smooth and comfortable. I bought it in Minnesota and rode it home 300 miles that evening. Rode to a rally east of Toronto last fall- an easy 700 miles in a day.

Also have a 1998 Suzuki Marauder in SC. I've done a good bit of traveling on it, but 600 miles in a day is an uncomfortable stretch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Started on a home made minibike with a 2hp Briggs&Stratton rope puller. Right now I'm on a Kaw Vulcan Nomad, previously a Honda ACE, and a Yammie 175 Enduro years ago. But mostest favoritest of all was my Honda Minitrail 50!! Loved that bike. Neighbor kid stole it and got himself killed on it. Can't say I shed a tear, heartless SOB that I am.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
2003 Boss Hoss - 421ci stroker (dynoed at 595hp) - raked front end - lowered - etc

Rode it 12 years, 60,000 miles - definitely scratched the itch :) Started riding at 15, first bike was a '59 TR6 Triumph and through the years owned a bunch, all were great but this girl was my mistress for sure - named it "livin' on the edge"

IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0413.JPG IMG_0434.JPG

·
Registered
808 Posts
rode a '71 triumph TR6C for 40 years but my motorcycle before that (and my second bike)was a '70 Suzuki 350 T and really had a blast on it. fast, simple to maintain, and cheap. Made many a weekend run from Melbourne Fl down to Miami to visit the GF on it

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
My fathers cousin was Mr. Crocker of Crocker Motorcycles. I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bought my first motorcycle (Bultaco Metralla) in 1968 but this one, 1997 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti, (my last :() is probably my favorite.

GUZZI2.jpg

Reactions: RogueTS1

·
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Here's another photo of my 2003 Honda Shadow VLX600.

IMG_1820[3389].JPG

121 - 140 of 140 Posts