Taurus Firearm Forum banner

61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
We have this old 883 Sportster, loud, fast and lowered so my wife can ride it....

'89 HD Sportster 883 001.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Then there is this 1200C Sportster we had to have....

2006 HD XL1200C.jpg

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I thought Sportsters were girls bikes?

Reactions: ozzy

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I like my Road King too....

2003 Road King.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Reactions: reloader64

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Only bike I've ever owned was a Honda CBR600F2
Got totalled when I got rear ended at a red light by a 0.32BAC 3rd time OWI drunk asshat in a full size Chevy truck.

Can't ever ride a sportbike again comfortably, but I still think my favorite regardless is a Triumph Street Triple

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Mine would have to be the TZ750. I raced TZ250s. A 750 would probably have scared the crud out of me, but I'd like to have found out. :D They were quite expensive and about 4 times the maintenance cost of a 250. I could never afford one. Probably a good thing for my health. :D

PhilippeRonneMarch2013-012.JPG

The banshi wail of a 4 cylinder water cooled two stroke through racing expansion chambers would raise the hairs on my neck just watching them. They were SCAREY fast, over 200 mph in final form given enough straightaway. Just starting one up was an experience. This with 1970s era brakes and steel tube frames. Gives me shivers just thinkin' about it. The pipes, four HUGE expansion chambers, two to the right, number 2 over the top of the engine and out under the seat, number one off the left side. You saw it, your jaw dropped. THIS, my friends, was the real deal. Watching 'em top the hill on the LONG straight at Road America in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin, They'd be on the pipe as the track fell away and they'd do a 150 mph power wheelie down most of the rest of that straight before a hard breaking right hander. You needed superman skills to pilot one of these things, and Bill Gates' bank account.

Part of the history of the TZ750 and a legend is the TZ 750, Champion framed flat tracker Yamaha put together for the king, Kenny Roberts, for a mile race in 1975, believe it was, when Roberts was behind in points and they were desperate to get him in the points lead. Back then, flat track ran in a series with road racing. It was mile, half mile, short track, TT, and road racing in the Grand National Championship series. What happened that night on the Indy mile is the stuff of legends.

I shook the king's hand at Daytona in the pits in 81. I was there as a novice pro racing my 250. I wish just a quarter of his talent had rubbed off. LOL

Yamaha TZ750: Meeting The Monster | Motorcyclist

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
18,484 Posts
Ya' mention Kenny Roberts around me and you know your gonna' get a Like. :wink:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Had numerous bikes dirt and street but my favorite is my current 1980 kz1000 LTD.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
The first time I saw one of these I was about 8 years old. I fell in love with it then and there. It's still my favorite motorcycle of all time. I've never owned one, but it hold a very special place in my heart.

1950 Vincent Black Shadow. 998 CC 60 Cu. In. V Twin. I can still hear the sound this bike made as our neighbor owned a cycle shop and rode one of these everyday.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Ya' mention Kenny Roberts around me and you know your gonna' get a Like. :wink:
Roberts was the best all around motorcycle racer to ever live IMHO. He was innovative, he was aggressive, and he studied the art. He's just a good ol' country redneck, but when it came to racing motorcycles, he was a genius, highly skilled, and unbelievably good.

Reactions: Todd_Clark

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
There was an Italian guy before Roberts who raced a MV, I think his name was Agostini. He was pretty good too.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
There was an Italian guy before Roberts who raced a MV, I think his name was Agostini. He was pretty good too.
He and Mike, the bike, Hailwood were great road racers in Europe. Roberts not only won his first three world 500cc championships in his first three years in Europe, but he was a two time AMA grand national champion which required not just road racing, but 4 forms of flat track racing...mile, half mile, short track, and TT (tourist trophy). Flat track is a whole nuther world. The man, I have no doubt, could have been a motocross champ if he'd wanted to.

Anyway, I've ridden with some greats, seen some greats, watched Freddie Spencer from the age of 14 on Texas club tracks, Ben Spies, John Kocinsky (250 and world superbike champion), Colin Edwards, Eddie Lawson, all great riders.. My money is on the king as being the absolute best of the best..

Also, Roberts changed the style of riding along with a guy named Jarno Sareenin. In his era, tires got a LOT better. He'd hang off the bike, even dragging his knee, would keep the bike more upright by getting his weight lower which gave the bike more corner speed, grip. He'd tape his knees to protect them from the asphalt. Now days, leathers come with velcro knee pucks for this. KR started all that which is used universally, today.

From his flat track experience, Roberts also would "steer with the rear wheel". Bikes were so powerful in his era that a good flat tracker could often make better time this way, hard on tires if the race was long, but he'd wick it up and kick the rear end out spinning the tire out of a corner and steer it flat track style, which added drive off a corner, which any road racer will tell you is key to speed to the next corner.

Yeah, they called him "the king" for a reason.

Reactions: Todd_Clark
61 - 80 of 140 Posts