Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been soo many out there over the years ( Anyone remember the Viper, Nylon or levermatic??) but I imagine the 10-22 and a few others will be top vote-getters....
Can anyone name who made the Viper, Nylon & levermatic??

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
I own an Mossberg M152, a Remington M512X, a Ruger 10/22, an AR7, and a Remington M597 Magnum. Of all those, I think my old M512X, a bolt action tube fed .22 that I got for my nineth birthday, is my favorite. It fires .22 CB short as well as LR and it's deadly accurate, 1.5 MOA accurate. It's an amazing old rifle and it's slain untold numbers of squirrel and rabbit.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I really like my Marlin model 60 that was my first gun. Nice crisp trigger. Been slowly working on undoing many years of abuse/neglect. I still need to put the scope on it so its back to the way it has spent most of its life.

I've also got a 10/22 that I'm going to be putting a set of peep sights on. FYI, don't try to replace the sights on one of these at home unless you have real nice tools to do it with. I bent a good sized brass drift trying to replace the factory sights. Ended up using a steel punch, which messed up the finish a little. Thats why I will be paying a gunsmith to remove the Firesights and install the peeps.

It was before my time but didn't Remington make the Nylons?

Steelheart

·
Registered
790 Posts
I bought a Marlin Model 60 last summer and put a little $30 scope on it, and can't tell you how much fun it is to shoot the little plinker! With a $8 box of Wally world bulk .22, you can shoot all afternoon and have a great time. Its a great working little gun, cheap to shoot, and really quite accurate. For $125 bucks, its a lot of cheap fun!

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Steelheart said:
I've also got a 10/22 that I'm going to be putting a set of peep sights on. FYI, don't try to replace the sights on one of these at home unless you have real nice tools to do it with. I bent a good sized brass drift trying to replace the factory sights. Ended up using a steel punch, which messed up the finish a little. Thats why I will be paying a gunsmith to remove the Firesights and install the peeps.

It was before my time but didn't Remington make the Nylons?

Steelheart
Yep, Remington Nylon 66. Never had one, but they were cool. My 10-22 is stainless, bought it several years back at a gun show for $150. I put a Hogue overmolded stock on it. Neat little rugged shooter. Not extremely accurate, but accurate enough. I just have the standard sight on it. I did get a scope mount for it, but don't plan on using it. All my other .22s have scopes on 'em. I wanted one plinker with iron sights. :D An aperture sight would be an improvement, though, over the standard issue.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a Ruger 10/22 that I love but my favorite shooter is on old Ithaca model 49 single shot with a broken ejector. Lever action and you have to pull the shell out with your finger but it gets shot more than anything I own. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Marlin Model 60. I had one since I was 12 or 13 years old. Nice little guns. They are less finicky than the Ruger 10-22.

Todd

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I'd have expected more 10/22's than this. Not that I'm complaining, I still prefer my Marlin.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lately, I have been getting interested in the "store brand" 22's - Guns sold by Sears, Western Auto, JC Penney's and etc. These guns were actually made by the likes of Marlin, Savage and Mossberg but were stamped with the store's name. I have one coming soon actually made by Savage ;)

sherpa,
that's a beauty!!!

Steelheart,
The Marlin 60 is on my list of wants. You can find them at great bargains on the auction sites!

·
Registered
272 Posts
TitaniumMan:

Amazing and thank you. ;)

I have my Dad's old gun he bought from Sears many years ago. It was made by Hi Standard and has a sling that reels up in the stock when not in use. Unique feature that I've seen on no other gun. I bet I've walked a million acres with it before I bought my first Marlin 60.

·
32,528 Posts
My favorite is a very accurate 99C Marlin semi-auto. With a 4 power scope the striped ground squirrels in Washington state were in trouble at 50 yards and a little beyond. Mostly empty soda cans were it's victims and practiced long range shooting out a little past 100 yards with it. Some days were good and the windy ones were challanging. Hard to find a place around here to do that anymore.

·
Registered
123 Posts
10/22 !

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've had a Glenfield version of the Marlin Model 60 but I got kind of curious about how plain it was and decided to see what I could do...

So now I have a snakey kind of camo gun... but it still shoots great

·
Registered
625 Posts
My other favorite is my Winchester 94 .22 Magnum with the Wincam laminated stock.

Todd

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine is the 10/22... I have eight in various configurations... this one is probably my favorite for fun plinking!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts