Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
17,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will attempt to describe this driving incident as succinctly as possible.

On our way to Houston for Thanksgiving. West bound on I-12 in a light drizzle and we were a bit east of the Louisiana border. Two lanes. In front of us are two 18-wheelers side-by-side. Hereinafter referred to as "Left Truck" and "Right Truck". Left Truck is trying to pass Right Truck but it's not going quickly. Probably due to a governor on Left Truck. I get it. He was passing Right Truck but it was taking a while. I was behind Left Truck, waiting it out.

In my mirror I see a vehicle in the right lane gaining on on us at a pretty fair clip. White Hyundai Santa Fe. Herein referred to as "Jackwaggon".

Jackwaggon acts like she's running up on me and wanting to cut in. Not happening. She sits behind Right Truck for a while and then falls back and cuts in behind me. Pulls far left onto the shoulder behind me flashing her headlights. Then cuts back into the right lane and pulls up beside me.

She's bobbing and weaving and is obviously ticked at the rolling roadblock of two 18 wheelers. We come up on an on-ramp and she cuts right and guns it down the acceleration lane to pass Right Truck. She doesn't make it completely around in the acceleration lane and ends up completing her pass on the shoulder.

Then it happens. She cuts left into the left lane and brake checks Left Truck. I don't mean she tapped her brakes to activate the brake lights. She hit her brakes...hard. Fortunately Right Truck was a professional driver and realized from the aggressive pass on his right and the sudden lane change to the left lane what was going to happen and he veered off onto the right shoulder to give Left Truck some room. Left Truck hits his brakes pretty hard and veers into the now mostly vacated right lane. When he does that I see Jackwaggon in the left lane in a hard brake.

Her miscalculation was that she braked too hard, and didn't count on the defensive evasive maneuver of Right Truck giving up his lane to allow Left Truck some room. The result was that Left Truck actually got passed her. Uh-oh. Left Truck had her. They were side-by-side when he takes his lane back. Jackwaggon ends up completely on the shoulder / grass. Looks like she's starting to lose it. I back off quick and let her back on the road in front of me before she wipes out. She just made it. I could have spun her out in the median but not without tapping her. I had my wife with me. Not going there.

Left Truck then finally gets around Right Truck. Jackwaggon passes them and keeps on going. She'd had enough. I started to call the State Police but we crossed the State Line a few minutes later. That ain't going anywhere.

Given the opportunity I would have slapped the crap out of her for endangering my wife. But I wasn't going to go crazy like she did and chase her down to do it. Life is too short. Just another moron.

Happy Thanksgiving, Jackwaggon.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Imagine all that with autonomous trucks...:gah:...woulda' been like Dresden all over again.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I went to school in Louisiana and loved it and the people. That being said, there are some very "aggressive" drivers there. Hopefully Jackwaggon made it to Texas and read the "Drive Friendly" road signs. That should straighten her out! ;)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I gave up over-the-road truck driving over 15 years ago after a similar incident.
Unfortunately, in that case, Jackwagon was a family of five headed to Disneyland that hit the median after passing on the right shoulder, and rolled and caught fire. I will never forget those children and the screaming in agony, nor the smell of their burning flesh until the day I die. And I have never been back to that area on Interstate 5 ever since.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
It's a good thing the truck drivers know how to drive. If they'd have hit her from behind, she'd be riding in a hearse about now.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Don't quite know what to say about this, except Jackwaggons are multiplying and infesting all the roads all over. They even do this to other drivers of cars and SUVs.

Thank you for your perceptive and reasonable approach to this poor tormented soul. May she live long enough to learn her proper position in the Eternal Scheme of Things. Thanks for recognizing the drivers who have to put up with this kind of psycho about once a hour or more, depending on the territory.

Being a truck driver is not the easiest job in the world. I bought my first one in 1974, sold the last one in 1989, and retired three years ago this month, just 11 days short of my 79th birthday. It's not a job anymore, it is a full-time nightmare. Got a few friends still driving, and one of them is praying that autonomous vehicles get here tomorrow!

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Bet she, if crossing paths with you on a dark lonely street somewhere, would not have been so aggressive. Cowards.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I don't drive interstate hwys during peek hours. I'll drive 8pm to 8am on them of a long haul. I have never been one who gets sleepy. Ted Nugent seems to help. I have just about all my family in Mobile. That's 24 mins down I-10 east. It's still two lanes east where most of I-10 in MS is three lanes now. I have found hwy 90 is the better drive. My gas mileage goes way down after 65 anyway. I find i have to run 75-85 to say out of " the pack" where a jackwagon feels the need to play Ricky Bobby.
About three years a go just over the AL line a jackwagon played reindeer games with the wrong guy. He got around jackwagon and slid sideways to a stop and dumped a mag into jackwagon. Jackwagon took one in the stomach. Witnesses could not recall much about the shooters car. But every witness remembered jackwagon had it coming for road rage as jackwagon was harassing him so bad they backed off miles back. Now i like the Alabama State Troopers on I-10. Most all of them are in unmaked cars, Tahoe , 4 door Ford trucks and one 18 wheeler. The 18 Wheeler radios in about jackwagons driving around him.

·
32,481 Posts
There is a large part of society these days for who believe the world and universe whirl around them. All others, things, and events do not matter to them at all. Sad as that is it's spreading out everywhere.

·
17,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't drive interstate hwys during peek hours. I'll drive 8pm to 8am on them of a long haul. I have never been one who gets sleepy. Ted Nugent seems to help. I have just about all my family in Mobile. That's 24 mins down I-10 east. It's still two lanes east where most of I-10 in MS is three lanes now. I have found hwy 90 is the better drive. My gas mileage goes way down after 65 anyway. I find i have to run 75-85 to say out of " the pack" where a jackwagon feels the need to play Ricky Bobby.
About three years a go just over the AL line a jackwagon played reindeer games with the wrong guy. He got around jackwagon and slid sideways to a stop and dumped a mag into jackwagon. Jackwagon took one in the stomach. Witnesses could not recall much about the shooters car. But every witness remembered jackwagon had it coming for road rage as jackwagon was harassing him so bad they backed off miles back. Now i like the Alabama State Troopers on I-10. Most all of them are in unmarked cars, Tahoe , 4 door Ford trucks and one 18 wheeler. The 18 Wheeler radios in about jackwagons driving around him.
I misstated the freeway...we were actually headed west on I-10 in Mississippi just east of the Louisiana border not far from the I-10 / I-12 split.

·
32,481 Posts
Just around here we have I-90, I-94, and I-41. The worst drivers, enmasse, are actually from the Milwaukee metro area and burbs. In Waukesha here getting out of the drive-way is an adventure. One in three vehicles is doing over 45+ mph down the street. The speed is 30 mph. Most areas are that. They're flying with no regard to themselves or anyone else.

The most dangerous of the bunch are the "use the parking lane as the German autobahn!! Weaving in and out at speeds that are past 50 mph.

And the last bugaboo about drivers is the wrong way driver. Being on a state road or city road when this happens is them taking your life and others into their hands. Very few people seem to have or care about having any driving skills.

5 to 6 times a say I have cars or pickups careening into my lane at curves (usually can't see around the curve), staying there, and coming within a few yards or feet of head-on collision. This happens as well on the straight streets and main thoroughfares. However even on a side street no one is safe from these hooligans.

My take in it is like using a gun for evil purposes. If you put my life or others in that kind of jeopardy with death and grave bodily harm being the outcome, then the perpetrator should get the ultimate sentence right then and there. Of course that is not going to happen. Reality says no way as does the law. I'm and Old Testament kind of person. Tooth for a tooth and eye for an eye. That has upsides and down ones. Feelings are not going to override common sense and reason. Thinking and doing things are two different things.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Cain't fix stupid. There is a hope of containing it with enough duct tape.

·
21,940 Posts
Of the four drivers involved, it's a good thing three had some judgement and restraint. I've seen some awful maneuvers, but doing that sort of thing around two 18-wheelers is a whole 'nother level of stupid.

People really need to get their drivers ed somewhere other than grand theft auto.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
My wife began volunteering at the local grade school about 30 years ago, and told me then how bad the parents were while taking their kids to, and driving them home from, school. These jackwagons we're describing are their children, who grew up observing their parents' bad habits and believe that that is how it's supposed to be.

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
There are studies that indicate that female drivers have become much more aggressive than ever before. Mix that in with the "navel gavers" with their faces down in their phones the roads have become a very dangerous place. Makes me want to up armor the Durango.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I was on I-40 east bound between Durham NC and Raleigh NC on a Friday afternoon at about 5pm. Anyone that's
ever driven this way, especially on a Friday knows it's murder. Lots of cars with people in a hurry to get to the beach.

I'm in the left lane behind a line of cars doing, no kidding, 40 mph. All three lanes right of me are just buzzing along.
Way up ahead of me I see cars in my lane going into the next lane over. Finally, it's my turn. Hold up is a crossover in
the left lane, no flashing lights, no indication of trouble. As I get my shot and go by the woman is on the phone completely
oblivious to what is going on around her. I look at her, she looks at me then goes right back to the phone.

Stupid has no limits.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Just stay cool and remember WWJD? :D

·
Registered
16,860 Posts
If I responded with a list of everything that was wrong with people it would break the internet.
I expect to be disappointed by most people.
I am rarely disappointed.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
If I had a nickel for every time I asked "What is wrong with people" I could pay off the national debt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts