Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought this PT100 Police model. It isn't the standard .40 pt100. It's DAO,no safety, no slide cuts, and no one seems to have any info on it. One guy said this was a test pistol that never made it to market and is rare. I would like others opinions. Anyone?
Blue Air gun Gun accessory Electric blue Wood stain

·
Super Moderator
38,576 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! I've never seen one with the undercut frame toward the muzzle. My guess is that it was built for LE use in Brazil, but others may have more knowledge particularly Eric Tamberg who is in Brazil and has info on early models. Are there any import marks on it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! I've never seen one with the undercut frame toward the muzzle. My guess is that it was built for LE use in Brazil, but others may have more knowledge particularly Eric Tamberg who is in Brazil and has info on early models. Are there any import marks on it?
The barrel has zero. Even the block.
Just says made in brasil.
Taurus doesn't recognize the serial number.
I ordered parts for it to hopefully put it to double action for better carry.
The engineer I spoke with said it was a us test gun. Maybe 50 total in the US. Don't know how it got on the open market. Said is one of the rarest Taurus he ever handled. It was supposed to be made in 95 but that's all i can find from serial myself. For $400 I think I came out good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engineer I spoke with said it was a us test gun. Maybe 50 total in the US. Don't know how it got on the open market. Said is one of the rarest Taurus he ever handled. It was supposed to be made in 95 but that's all i can find from serial myself. For $400 I think I came out good.
Looks like it has seen maybe 500rd and a year of carry in a kydex.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't add another photo, but when I said no safety, I meant on both sides.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
I'm no expert, but I've seen quite a bit of discussion on the "POLICE" guns and I believe it was on this site. I don't remember the general consensus as to their origin, but I do remember reading about them. Hopefully a quick search will yield some results.

For what it is worth, there are quite a few experts on this board as they have come to my aide in the past. I'm sure they do sleep from time to time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm no expert, but I've seen quite a bit of discussion on the "POLICE" guns and I believe it was on this site. I don't remember the general consensus as to their origin, but I do remember reading about them. Hopefully a quick search will yield some results.

For what it is worth, there are quite a few experts on this board as they have come to my aide in the past. I'm sure they do sleep from time to time.
A quick search shows nothing of this gun. I can find zero images of one. I believe all the other police Taurus were designated AD models. They had safeties and were normal da/sa pistols. Nothing I can find of the DAO Police model. The only info I came across was from an engineer who worked at Taurus at the time said it was rare and pretty much never left test phases for the US market and only a few were ever sent at all anywhere. I wanted to confirm his story.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The neophyte that I am, I would have taken the DAO on the slide to indicate it as double action only.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi!

This variant is not mentioned in any of the catalogs or manuals I own.

The checkered wooden grips indicates that it is one of the first pistols produced at the plant in Rio Grande do Sul, after the closing of Taurus Unit 2 (the former Beretta plant) in São Paulo, in June, 1993.

The word "Police" is purely a commercial appeal, since, at the time his pistol was manufactured, most Brazilian police still used .38 Special caliber revolvers as their standard issue handguns. The first Brazilian police department to adopt the .40 S&W caliber was the Federal Highway Police in 1998, when standard version of PT-100, with black rubber grips, was purchased.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's easy to tell if your pistol is a test prototype or a gun that has entered a commercial production line.

See the three letters before the serial number. In .40 caliber S&W, on production line pistols, the first letter is S, followed by another two indicating the year and month of manufacture.

If it really is a test prototype, the string of letters before the serial number should be EXP, for "experimental".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's easy to tell if your pistol is a test prototype or a gun that has entered a commercial production line.

See the three letters before the serial number. In .40 caliber S&W, on production line pistols, the first letter is S, followed by another two indicating the year and month of manufacture.

If it really is a test prototype, the string of letters before the serial number should be EXP, for "experimental".
My big question is how did it end up in the United States? And as I stated this thing looks like it's seen maybe 500 rounds of use and maybe a Year's worth of Carry. Said the guy I spoke to said again it was rare and he doesn't know exactly how many were produced in this configuration and exactly for what departments. He said he handled it while it was still a prototype.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My big question is how did it end up in the United States? And as I stated this thing looks like it's seen maybe 500 rounds of use and maybe a Year's worth of Carry. Said the guy I spoke to said again it was rare and he doesn't know exactly how many were produced in this configuration and exactly for what departments. He said he handled it while it was still a prototype.
The serial starts with an soe and has an 88000 number after.

·
Registered
166 Posts
At that time, ALL Taurus .40 S&W pistols were exported. This caliber was prohibited for civilian use in Brazil (up to 2019), and, up to 1998, was not used by any Brazilian law enforcement agency.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At that time, ALL Taurus .40 S&W pistols are exported. This caliber was prohibited for civilian use in Brazil (up to 2019), and, up to 1998, was not used by any Brazilian law enforcement agency.
Ok. Last bit. Why are there no photos anywhere of it? No one seems to have seen this one almost at all, can confirm what department used it or who would have randomly had it to sell.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok. Last bit. Why are there no photos anywhere of it? No one seems to have seen this one almost at all, can confirm what department used it or who would have randomly had it to sell.
I have never seen this variant before. It has never been used by any Brazilian police agency, whether state or federal.

Here, in the 1990s, for uniformed police service, handguns were required to have a lanyard ring - absent from your pistol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have never seen this variant before. It has never been used by any Brazilian police agency, whether state or federal.

Here, in the 1990s, for uniformed police service, handguns were required to have a lanyard ring - absent from your pistol.
I was assuming that it was one of a few that made it into the US as a test gun before any solid contract were made for it. It was made in 95 by serial number so I'm assuming that it probably got beat out by the glock on whoever was thinking about buying them. He just said it's rare. Many others say the same.
Now my issue with it. Standard mecgar pt100 mags don't sit right in the magwell. Looks like the lips are too tall compared to the mag it came with which was a standard taurus mag. Any Idea why? The round sits a few mm low and hits the feed ramp low causing it to bind up. Rounds will force in but push the bullet into case pretty hard. I could either file a bit off the lips or try to stretch them out to get round to sit higher correct?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was assuming that it was one of a few that made it into the US as a test gun before any solid contract were made for it. It was made in 95 by serial number so I'm assuming that it probably got beat out by the glock on whoever was thinking about buying them. He just said it's rare. Many others say the same.
Now my issue with it. Standard mecgar pt100 mags don't sit right in the magwell. Looks like the lips are too tall compared to the mag it came with which was a standard taurus mag. Any Idea why? The round sits a few mm low and hits the feed ramp low causing it to bind up. Rounds will force in but push the bullet into case pretty hard. I could either file a bit off the lips or try to stretch them out to get round to sit higher correct?
What is strange to me is that the magazine base is not the standard for full-size pistols. It appears to be the same used in more compact pistols, such as the PT-92 Compact and older versions of the PT-58. You can try a PT-940 magazine.

One question: does your pistol have magazine safety? Here in Brazil, only the PT-57 SC (.32 Auto) had this device. But it appears that it was possible to be installed in other models, especially when destined for some European countries.

The only logical reason I see the magazine being different - considering all the difference in the safety and trigger mechanism - is if it has any lug for working a trigger disconnector.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is strange to me is that the magazine base is not the standard for full-size pistols. It appears to be the same used in more compact pistols, such as the PT-92 Compact and older versions of the PT-58. You can try a PT-940 magazine.

One question: does your pistol have magazine safety? Here in Brazil, only the PT-57 SC (.32 Auto) had this device. But it appears that it was possible to be installed in other models, especially when destined for some European countries.
No mag safety. Will still pull trigger when out and drop hammer. I don't know how to add more pics but the mag plate does stick forward on the mecgar mag and the m96 mag i modded. Plus the shorter lips on the mag it came with...odd. so you're saying mine is rare? Like really rare for a Taurus?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts