Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the negative rants on Taurus customer service we've been subjected to lately. I felt that it was time to bring things back to a more pleasant discussion.

What is the oldest Taurus in your collection? and how is it doing today? Do you regret buying it? Or is it as good as any S&W, Colt, Ruger, Glock etc?

Mine would be the used M94 I picked up for my wife. At 11 years old, she is the oldest (the gun, not the wife :p ). I will hopefully get to shoot it tomorrow and will post my opinions.

What I like about Taurus aside from their inexpensive pricing, is the fact that their line compliments my Rugers. Since Ruger doesn't make any compact polymers, the Millennium pro line fills the gap. Though I really like the Sp101 and it is a very strong .38/357. The M85 is a bit trimmer and easier for my wife to handle. Lastly, I love and am waiting to get the P345 Ruger later this year, but a 1911 it is not. Taurus stepped up to the plate and delivered.

That being said. I still look over the horizon to see what may be next to cross my path. I have seriously considered from Smith & Wesson. The M&P in a .40 and their 1911. Maybe a Kimber compact 1911. A Beretta PX4 Storm. A Taurus 92 is looking better and better as time rolls on. I also want to see a Ruger single action in .45 colt. Then, there is my love of the lever action, but that's another tale for another day...

·
32,619 Posts
You picked a good topic. My model 66 is my most elder statesman as it were in at 21 years old and functioning just fine.

Lost track of the number of rounds. Mostly .38 Specials in standard as well as the +P variety. Several thousand .357 magnum rounds have gone down range. Mostly Winchester 145 gr. Silvertips, Remington and Federal 125gr.JHP Lite magnums loads, and 110 gr. JHPs when it was felt they were needed or comparing them to the full house 125 JHPs.

As for the model 94 I had one that was in the 14 year old stage when it was traded up for a new 94. I liked the balance of the newer model (has the 5 in. barrel vs.the 4 inch on most) and the full underlug barrel. The underlug protects the crane and ejector rod more than the old one did. Matched the 4 and 3 inch barreled in approximate length and weight. Used the lighter and older 94 for the understudy gun as a match for the model 85CH. Then when it was apparent that CCW was not coming to this state the mission and need changed.

Since priorities changed the longer barreled revolvers fit mission requirements much better and more often. Thus the switch to the heavier and longer barreled version.

Older 94s may have a little ejector rod wobble. Too much means it needs to be replaced.Someone may have snapped the cylinder closed with a major snap of the wrist while the action was open. This is popular in the Hollywood films is pure fantasy. This bends the rod and puts forces on the cylinder,rod and frame that were never intended to be absorbed in that manner. Then it is time to have the gun fixed by a gunsmith as damage to those particular areas discribed above will result. Function problems are only one aspect.

Second oldest is the model 65 with fixed sights. In nickel. Corrosion resistant. Beats blued when Virginia was home at the time. That was bought after the need for a shorter revolver was needed, but 85s were hard to get and the 65 was more model 66 sized and easier to hit with over the 85 model. Since both has the versatility of being .357 magnums and able to shoot .38 Specials, the pick wasn't hard.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The oldest Taurus thats available is a M605B2 (to use the current system) that I got for my mother 11+ years ago. I don't think its been shot for a few years now as she doesn't practice, and yes I've tried to get her out. When my friends and I have borrowed it to shoot it has had mostly magnums but she's only put 38's through it.

As an aside, a local gun shop had (and may still I'm not sure) a 6" small frame 38 with wood grips that the owner said was actually an older Taurus (the owner is knowledgeable overall). I don't recall what was marked on the gun but it didn't say Taurus or anything else I recognized. In some ways I wish that I had the cash as the time to get it as it was only $150.

Steelheart

·
Registered
984 Posts
For me it's my Model 689 6" SS .357.
Rock solid and acurate.

AFS

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting, I just posted on this gun. The oldest, now in my brother's collection but at least still in the family, is a pre-decocker PT-99 that I got used in Albuquerque back in 1993-4ish? It was used, (so who know how old it really is) got it for about $250.00, and it has seen god knows how many thousands of rounds. It's still a good shooter to this day!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My first Taurus PT92 was acquired around 1981-82 and was an original with the mag button on the bottom of the grip, which I wish I still had.

My second Taurus PT92 which I still have was purchased late new 1985, just after they completed the mag a safety lever change. The markings on the slide are stamped in with gold inlay and original checkered plastic grips. I have shot competitions with it and fired countless number of rounds through it, It has been everywhere with me over the years...

I later purchased my 3rd PT92 decocker in 1997 and is very nice, but not as nice or as special as my earlier PT92.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The oldest and only Taurus, so far, is a PT99AF that I bought in the early 1990's. Just recently got back into shooting, so there are only about 750 rounds through it. Has worked flawlessly so far. I've been looking at the 24/7. Maybe this year.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Gunshow where I live next week, its like waiting for X-mas! I just hope one of the 6-8 Taurus pistols I want is there, and really at this point I almost don't care which one I get first...

PT1911SS
24/7 OSS (9mm or 45cal) and I'd rather have the black frame if its out.
PT917c
PT909
PT809
PT945 (maybe)

even considering a few revolvers :)

·
32,619 Posts
Oldest Tauri. Hmmmm.

Do have revolver models 65 and 66 that were bought back in the late 1986 and 1987. The 65 is in nickel and has the 2.5 inch barrel without measuring from the forcing cone as some are wont to do. The 66 is a 4 in. blued model. And last but not least, there is an 85CH from 1990 in blue.

Cylinder lock up is good and tight on all of the revolvers. No end shake. Timing of the cylinders is correct.Cylinder alignments are all in order.

Excellent longevity all the way through their use.

·
32,619 Posts
DRAEGER. That's an impressive list you have there. Most handgunning needs can be filled by one brand like this. Looks like you have done just that. A niche filled for about every eventuality. ;D

·
Registered
178 Posts
That would be my Model 415 revolver. A stainless ported snubby in 41mag. I have had it for about 8 years now. It has had avout 4000 rounds of handloads, home made snake shot and some factory loads as well. No complaints except that the porting allows the burned powder to coat my front sight making it black.

tex

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I did find the PT945 at the show, along with a PT917cs. The PT945 has a Taurus Factory ported barrel/slide. Very, very nice to shoot...

·
Administrator
18,060 Posts
My oldest Taurus is my PT92, purchased new in July of 1992.

Approximately 22,000 thru it and it is still shooting well. Refurbished it with new Grips, Firing Pin and Recoil Springs a few years ago (preventative maintenance) and always trust it to function.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Taurus M85 two inch purchesed in the late 1980s. I have carried it as a back up while in Le and as CCW gun. Right now it sits by my bed. The fishish is trashed but it still shoots better than I can hold it and is dead on with Fed 158 SWHP Nyclad +p. ;D

·
22,058 Posts
This is an old thread that needs reviving. We have had a lot of new members since the last post here.

I will get it restarted. My oldest Taurus is a PT92 1st gen. I purchased the gun in 1986 while waiting for the first Ruger P-85's to hit the stores. Being a deputy sheriff at the time I was on a law enforcment list to get one of the first ones in our area. I didn't know anything about Taurus at the time but I did know I was tired of waiting for the Ruger to arrive. My gun dealer got the pt92 in and suggested I take it and try it out.

I shot about 50 rounds and fell in love with it. It was accurate and reliable and $50.00 cheaper than the Ruger that kept having production delays.

I would like to thank Ruger for introducing me to Taurus. Now instead of just Ruger being my favorite gun, I have my old Taurus too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Model 85. Twelve years old, and still keeping me safe. Here it is with it's two favorite holsters.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just read my copy of Gun World magazine, has good story on Taurus.

Did you know that the first Taurus was made in 1939 by a German immigrant named Joao Kluwee. But WW-2 interrupted his business...he eventually moved to Brazil and became the Fuhrer of the Taurus line.

The product line went international around 1964, exporting the main load to America.

The gun company was gobbled up by Bangor Punta, which also owned S&W at that time.

At this point we don't know if the original guy got control of his company again, or not.

The GW article extols the virtues of the Raging Bull in .454 and .41 magnum.

Good read.

TB C45

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
I know the model 82 is probably pretty old - it's based on the S&W model 64. I'd bet that wheelgun originated in the early 80's some time........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts