Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the heaviest bullet you have loaded for your 380acp, and the lightest you have loaded for 9mm? I'm looking for a compromise one bullet to load for both 380 and 9mm. I found a decent deal on 500ct 95gr Magtecs plated round nose. I have never used bullets that light in 9mm. Just curious if anybody else has.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I've tried a few, I had a harder time getting the 95 gr to work in the 9mm than I did the 115 gr in the .380. Which kind of makes sense if you think about it. If I was going to use one bullet for both it would be the 115 gr.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
well the heaviest that i have actually loaded in the 380 is 102 grain, which was a Remington Golden Sabre, the lightest (and what i carry) in a 9 MM is a 92 grain all copper.
I use 100 grian R/N as target ammo in the 380.
I would try a 100-115 grain i guess if i was going to try to use one weight in both?
carry rounds would be I think the 102 grain Golden Sabre?
the probelm with the 115 in the 380 is so much loss in velocity, MY 9MM's handle pretty much anything from 80 grain to 147 grain well.
I am guessing but think the 95-100 grain may be the best of both worlds?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have some 115gr JHP loaded for the 9 for carry and some Montana gold 95gr JHP for the 380 but I hate to burn them up plinking. I thought the 95gr Magtecs might be good for killin cans in both. I think I'll go for it. If they don't work out in the 9 they should be good in the 380.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
heck, ain't no way that i would shoot up any JHP at targets, other than to check reliability.
If I had the 95 grainers thats what i would try.
also will depend i would think on the barrel length/spring rate of the 9MM pistol and what powder that you are going to use.
as you say the worst that can happen is you got a bunch of 380 projectiles!
good luck to ya!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 380 is a PT638 and the 9 is a 111 MilPro G2. I just went to order them and they lied. They are out of stock. Back on the hunt!

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Today's premium JHP is caliber specific in performance, based on velocities, powders to achieve them, and how the bullets will expand at the velocities achieved. A bullet intended for use in a .380 ACP may well expand too much, retarding penetration, or shedding it's jacket at 9mm velocities. The 9mm bullet might not open at .380 velocities.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
A bit off the subject line of the topic but I shoot a 125-grain, Round Flat nose bullet with a large meplat in my PT138Pro. I use 3.5-grains of the old Hercules Unique for 850 FPS. I do not shoot this bullet in my TCP as the recoil energies would beat it to death.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not off subject at all. That is just the kind of input and discussion I was hoping for. Thanks

A bit off the subject line of the topic but I shoot a 125-grain, Round Flat nose bullet with a large meplat in my PT138Pro. I use 3.5-grains of the old Hercules Unique for 850 FPS. I do not shoot this bullet in my TCP as the recoil energies would beat it to death.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
exact loading for my 100 grain Round nose plated target loads as well, they are a tad faster however at about 900 FPS.
the 638 should be about the same size/weight as the PT138 isn't it?
yea i bet a 125 out of a TCP would be enlightening!-Griiin.--got gloves ???

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,244 Posts
Red dog
I have run 115 FMJ's thru a 380 Beretta, for plinking purposes with no ill effects, cause that's what I had. Had to look for a while for the recipe, started light and worked up.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
theres published load data on the 380 in 115 grain but its not a common load.
pretty sure even the lyman manual has a listing for it, ain't near the reloading laboratory right now so can't check the specifics.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
the 638 should be about the same size/weight as the PT138 isn't it?
yea i bet a 125 out of a TCP would be enlightening!-Griiin.--got gloves ???
I've never seen a 638 other than on the TaurusUSA site but the tech specs are no longer posted. Looks like a PT138 with a 24/7 trigger.

The bullet (molds) were not a very good selling mold, most 380 shooters have sub compacts and want the more traditional bullet weights like my TL358-100-RF. It does bring the 380 up a notch, putting it above the performance level of the 9mm Makarov. It is a pleasure to shoot in the PT138.

The good thing about a Taurus in 380 Auto and 9mm Luger is that they both use the same barrel stock, groove and bore diameters are the same and that is not always the case with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I think 138 and 638 are basically the same. 638 has is not a MilPro, is SA only, 15rnd Mag, and rail like the PT145. Interesting that the barrels are the same bore. I wouldn't mind trying a lead bullet load if I can find some. I don't cast myself.
I've never seen a 638 other than on the TaurusUSA site but the tech specs are no longer posted. Looks like a PT138 with a 24/7 trigger.

The bullet (molds) were not a very good selling mold, most 380 shooters have sub compacts and want the more traditional bullet weights like my TL358-100-RF. It does bring the 380 up a notch, putting it above the performance level of the 9mm Makarov. It is a pleasure to shoot in the PT138.

The good thing about a Taurus in 380 Auto and 9mm Luger is that they both use the same barrel stock, groove and bore diameters are the same and that is not always the case with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying a lead bullet load if I can find some. I don't cast myself.
Jerry at Carolina Cast offers bullets as a component from a majority of my design. If the bullet isn't listed ask about it as he stays so busy it is tough for him to update his site. I'm sure he has the TL358-100-RF bullet but I'm not sure about the "125". The 100-grain is also a good bullet for both the 380 and 9mm, I had bunch of customers using it in both cartridges. If you buy bullet from him for your Taurus, have him size them at .358".

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Ranch Dog. On my way to check it out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just talked to Jerry at Carolina Cast and made a order. What a great guy! I may have me a new source for all my lead bullets. Thanks again Ranch Dog.
Any advice on COL with the 100gr in 380?

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
Just talked to Jerry at Carolina Cast and made a order. What a great guy! I may have me a new source for all my lead bullets. Thanks again Ranch Dog.
which projectile ??
all 100 grain projectiles are not created equal.
Careful with this little caliber as pressure can get hairy quickly if its to short.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Jerry is a nice guy for sure!

Go to my web site and select the "Load Notes" for the TL358-100-RF. You will find my load data for both the 380 Auto and 9mm Luger. I have data for the sub compact 380 Autos, and though I had data for compact/ large frame 380s but don't see it listed. I will correct that in a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts