Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my 92 AFS home from dealer. I'm wondering what kind of finish is on that alum frame that made it so shiny?

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
I do believe it is just a High Polish finish as opposed to the matt finsih product. It sure shines pretty, but is a finger print attracting son of a gun.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Just a highly polished aluminum surface, sure does look good when it's all cleaned up though. I have the fingerprint problem with my 945, but it gives me reason to wipe it down anytime i get the urge.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe it's polished aluminum and then poly coated.

If you try to polish it with aluminum polish, the rag does not turn black.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
I believe it's polished aluminum and then poly coated.

If you try to polish it with aluminum polish, the rag does not turn black.
Thats because the only thing dirty about a Taurus is it's reputation......lol But, those of us who know, know different...right!!!

·
Administrator
17,913 Posts
Taurus Aluminum (or Aluminium) frames are Hardcoat Anodized either Clear or Black, depending upon the finish/steel of the mating upper assembly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My PT92 came in a (cardboard) box labeled PT92 AFS stainless steel Combat. The slide is stainless with a matte finish, but the alloy frame is blindingly shiny. I am confused as I have seen other combat models on this forum that are all matte. Does my firearm not match the box description? or is that just how it is now? It was manufactured in 2011. Any thoughts?
Not a big deal, I just want to be sure I am calling it the right thing.

Either way... It's an amazing hunk of steel.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The aluminum frame is clear coated or it would not stay shiny. Bare aluminum (even when polished) oxidizes and gets dull fairly easily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the frame is coated and you want to remove it for polishing spend a few days at the gym preparing for this task, or consider a Dremel tool with a buffing wheel to remove the clear coat. Once removed it will polish to a mirror finish, but as stated earlier, it is a fingerprint magnet! If you polish it and then reclear it your finish will be less matte than it is now, but even the clear will tone done a well done polishing. Leaving it uncoated makes for a head turning gun, but keeping it that way will build forearm muscles beyond belief!

Good luck with which ever you decide and post some pictures!

Thom

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My PT92 came in a (cardboard) box labeled PT92 AFS stainless steel Combat. The slide is stainless with a matte finish, but the alloy frame is blindingly shiny. I am confused as I have seen other combat models on this forum that are all matte. Does my firearm not match the box description? or is that just how it is now? It was manufactured in 2011. Any thoughts?
Not a big deal, I just want to be sure I am calling it the right thing.

Either way... It's an amazing hunk of steel.
Here's my PT92 in the Combat finish. It's all matte...and it's also an "amazing hunk of steel"! :rating10:

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Good lord I love my PT 92 AFS............ I really dont have anything to add here I just wanted to say that.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Here's my PT92 in the Combat finish. It's all matte...and it's also an "amazing hunk of steel"! :rating10:

That sir, is a very handsome PT92! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts