Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should steps be taken to prevent moisture from your ammo storage ?

Are you concerned about moisture ?

Are the "Army Surplus" cans a good way to store ?

Thanks..

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I'm not concerned about moisture....Lubbock, TX, moisture....ha, ha, ha! Keeping the sand out is a problem though!

If you live in a high humidity area, the ammo cans work well but you need a few descant packs in with them. If you keep the ammo stored inside an air-conditioned environment, moisture should not be a problem as your AC will remove most moisture in the air.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Should steps be taken to prevent moisture from your ammo storage ?

Are you concerned about moisture ?

Are the "Army Surplus" cans a good way to store ?

Thanks..
I use the Army Surplus cans because I got them cheap, they work fine and stack nice.

Moisture, I don't think I would worry about it. There is a YouTube video where ammo was soaked in penetrating oil for some thing like a week. The ammo all went bang like it was supposed to. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Before all the ammo shortage I would tell you the best place to store it would be in a backstop but since gold is cheaper now, I keep mine in a surplus ammo can with desicant packs in them

·
Registered
64 Posts
I found some ammo I purchased 12 years ago, it's been in a safe with desicant packs in there with them. There isn't anything that I can see is wrong with them, I was thinking of taking them to the range and using them. They should be okay, right?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Store it in a cool, dry place. I too like the military ammo cans. They're relatively cheap, and they last forever. I was fortunate enough to find some brand new cans a couple years ago, and stocked up while the stocking was good. No dents, no dings, no rust. Not that the dented, dinged, rusted ones don't work - I just like the new ones better. At any rate, they can't be beat for storing ammo - which is probably why the military has used them for so long.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also use a .50 caliber ammo can with disacant pack, but my question is; how long will ammo store and still go bang? I have some 9mm ammo that is over 8 years old. Think it is still good?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I found some ammo I purchased 12 years ago, it's been in a safe with desicant packs in there with them. There isn't anything that I can see is wrong with them, I was thinking of taking them to the range and using them. They should be okay, right?
See my last response. :)

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
I've seen WWI and WWII vintage ammo stored on a shelf go bang when it was supposed to. I think the idea of keeping humidity out would be more to prevent corrosion of the cases than to prevent degradation of the powder/primers. I also have some 22 LR shot shells from the late 70's that shoot fine. Ammo cans seem to be the best/cheapest means of storing... Ammo. Go figure. I use reusable dessicants cannisters.
40 gram Metal Dri- Canisters - Desiccantsonline.com - (Powered by CubeCart)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I also use a .50 caliber ammo can with disacant pack, but my question is; how long will ammo store and still go bang? I have some 9mm ammo that is over 8 years old. Think it is still good?
Ammo lasts a loooooong time. I had some 22 lr's rattling around in a drawer, and they've been there at least thirty years. I took 'em out last summer just to get rid of them, and they all went bang just fine. 8 years isn't very old for ammo if it was stored properly. Yes - I think it's still good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So can anyone tell me if i buy ammo and leave it in the box and keep them in my safe (were i also keep my gun) a digital key safe is tgat a good place to store my ammo?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Last year I found a large ammo can stored at my Father's house that had been stuck under the outside porch stairs since
Spring of 2000. The can was protected from being covered with rain and snow, but that's about it. It had seen 13 years
of Summers in the upper 90's +, and Winters below zero. It was mostly .22s, 12ga, some 9mm, some .45s and a few handfuls
of 7.62. Since I re-discovered it, I've shot a little bit of everything save the 7.62's, and haven't had a single issue.

That being said, I usually prefer to store my ammo in ammo cans, cool and dry. :)

·
Super Moderator
27,124 Posts
So can anyone tell me if i buy ammo and leave it in the box and keep them in my safe (were i also keep my gun) a digital key safe is tgat a good place to store my ammo?
If you can fit ammo in your safe then you do not have enough weapons!

·
Super Moderator
27,124 Posts
If you search the internet, you can find all sorts of stories about long stored ammo. Some amazing!
When we won, bragging now, the UK Schools rifle championship at Bisley, in 1968, with SMLE 303's, we were using ammo mfgd in 1938!
Yes it was in ammo cans but the cloth bandoliers had rotted!

·
Registered
14,919 Posts
I shot the last box of .22LR Remington Golden Bullets from a brick I purchased in the late 80's just a while back.

I use .50 Cal Ammo cans and desiccant packs.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
How old do you think that surplus ammo is? If ammo was really susceptible to the environment, war would be more than hell, it'd down right suck.
Just don't keep it in your pool or fish tank and you should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts