Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other

Votes: 12 13.0%
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once upon a time the tried and true pump action shotgun was considered the undisputed king when it came to Home Defense, but nowadays you'll see a lot of folks who argue that AR/AK pattern rifles are better, or pistol caliber carbines are the best.

Just curious to see what TA thinks on the subject.

Personally, being an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy, I still gravitate towards the pump action shotgun. Reliable, powerful, easy to operate under stress, generally less ear-splitting, and minimal risk of overpenetration. (As long as you don't do something crazy like load it with Slugs, that is.)

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
I think typically, a police riot shotgun pump action of any type that is very reliable and is a great choice. I've seen some articles though recently that make me think it would be good to keep an AR handy, in case you have a situation where 8 or 9 guys are in your house. I used to think an AR is huge overkill in defending a home, but with that many perps, it would sure bring the fight to near-equal terms.

I think a good lever action rifle would be a nice choice too. I wouldn't hesitate to pull out my Marlin 336 for home defense.

I think Jeff Cooper said it best - you use your handgun to fight your way back to your long gun.

·
Administrator
40,573 Posts
I own all the above mentioned firearms. For me personally, for defense inside the home, I'm a handgun guy. Because size makes for more maneuverability indoors. For me anyway. I suppose I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort too.

Of course the 12ga. pump is available if all else fails.:D

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
That's a personal choice and what I find that fits ain't what others might agree with. I keep whatever I'm carrying that day hanging from my bedpost in a holster/gun belt. I can grab it without even getting out of bed, FAST. :D Shotguns are fine if you have time to get at it. I'm very good with handguns and like my chances with one. Some aren't so experienced or practiced with handguns. Last night, my 3" 66 hang from that gunbelt because I'd been carrying it that day. If I carry my .45, it hangs there. :D Everything else is in the safe including all long guns. I used to keep my M4 out, but don't like leaving home with it out of the safe and we don't keep chickens anymore, so I don't need it for vermin like coyotes that come around to check out the chickens. For a while, I kept a SxS coach gun out for that, but then my lovely wife bought me this M4 for my birthday one year and I put a green LED tac light on it with an ACOG style sight system.

BUT, now it's all about my handguns for me. I CAN get at my rifles and shotguns given time. I grabbed the coach gun out of a safe to run off stray cows from time to time out of my yard. A load of 7.5 dove load is pretty persuasive. :rofl: Now, I've got an electric fence around my garden, so they can't destroy it this year. Keeps the wild hogs and deer at bay, too. Hopefully I'll get me some cabbage this year and my spring plantings will be safe. :D

Really, I live so far out in the sticks on a rough dead end private road that I don't really worry about home invasion. That's what city people worry about. I'm more worried about which firearm I'm going to shoot on my back yard shooting range the next day. :rofl:

·
Registered
17,403 Posts
1. Secured windows.
2. Locked doors w/deadbolts.
3. Armed security alarm system w/cameras.
4. Pistol grip 12 gauge.
5. .357 2 inch revolver.

I'll be digging a moat starting next Monday.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I don't care for long guns indoors. Just too unwieldy. They have their place if you're trying to prevent a breech. An AR is going to over-penetrate. If you've got five guys at the front door and open up on them with an AR you need to realize you are shooting up the house across the street also. A shotgun would be better in a more populated area, preferably loaded with some of the smaller buckshot.

Of course if you are in a rural area the long guns make more sense. In a city/suburb AR's are inappropriate. I do keep a 20 ga with #4 Buck around. Less penetration than a 12 ga with #00 but still very effective at close range. Mostly I rely on a .38 revolver but that is because I'm most familiar with them. If you are proficient with a handgun I'd recommend a high capacity full size 9mm with some of those fancy $1.00 per round bullets. Effective, easy to shoot, and the magazine capacity will allow you to keep a whole bunch of people busy dodging bullets for a long time.

But that scenario is highly unlikely, unless you are already engaging in some high-risk behavior.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
1. Secured windows.
2. Locked doors w/deadbolts.
3. Armed security alarm system w/cameras.
4. Pistol grip 12 gauge.
5. .357 2 inch revolver.

I'll be digging a moat starting next Monday.
...and an insecure little yappy dog.

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
I don't care for long guns indoors. Just too unwieldy. They have their place if you're trying to prevent a breech. An AR is going to over-penetrate. If you've got five guys at the front door and open up on them with an AR you need to realize you are shooting up the house across the street also. A shotgun would be better in a more populated area, preferably loaded with some of the smaller buckshot.

Of course if you are in a rural area the long guns make more sense. In a city/suburb AR's are inappropriate. I do keep a 20 ga with #4 Buck around. Less penetration than a 12 ga with #00 but still very effective at close range. Mostly I rely on a .38 revolver but that is because I'm most familiar with them. If you are proficient with a handgun I'd recommend a high capacity full size 9mm with some of those fancy $1.00 per round bullets. Effective, easy to shoot, and the magazine capacity will allow you to keep a whole bunch of people bust dodging bullets for a long time.

But that scenario is highly unlikely, unless you are already engaging in some high-risk behavior.
WHAT house across WHAT street. :rofl:I call it a road. It doesn't rank as a street. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have both my carry revolver and my pump shotgun by the bed for dealing with things that go bump in the night wether they have 2 legs or 4. I agreed with most things said so far about defense but I still like the simple ways the best.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
WHAT house across WHAT street. :rofl:I call it a road. It doesn't rank as a street. :D
Like I said, if you're in a rural area it's a different story............but many of us have neighbors within 25 yards on all sides.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Depends.

The default for me is a repeating shotgun loaded with whatever buckshot the gun shoots well and is appropriate for the surroundings. And I do suggest that you actually pattern the gun with the loads to find out what it does and doesn't shoot well. That constant flier you get from XYZ brand might be the one that hits something or someone important if you ever have to use it and you won't know that it happens if you don't go out and shoot it to find out.

Slugs being used for home defense is counter-intuitive to me and seem to me to be counter-productive. The advantage of a shotgun is the ability to throw multiple projectiles at the target with one pull of the trigger. With 00 Buck, that's 8 or 9 .32 round balls. With #1 Buck that's 16 or 20 .30 round balls. Shooting slugs means that you just got yourself a repeating musket shooting a single .75 caliber projectile- and there's no bayonet like on the Brown Bess. That lowers hit potential- you either hit with one projectile or you don't- and 1 oz slugs penetrate MUCH better than a 100gr round ball so you just added to your worries. Besides, multiple holes means multiple exit points for all the stuff inside the target and multiple wound channels that can hit something vital.

That usually means a pump shotgun. Personally, I've never been fond of the pump, so I went with a semi auto. I run an 1100 better than I do an 870, so that makes sense for me. Shotguns give you a flexibility in what you can load it with that you don't get from rifles or carbines.

Thing is, I'm over 6 foot tall, weigh more than 200 pounds and I've been shooting long guns since I was 8. That's not the case with everyone.

I think that for someone not very experienced with long guns or not physically capable of taking the recoil, a pistol caliber carbine is a viable option.

Their longer barrels do nothing but increase velocity when compared to the same ammo being fired through a pistol.

Their 3 points of contact make them easier to aim.

In the case of someone not capable of handling the round in a pistol, changing to the same load in a carbine means that they have a dramatic increase in weight (2 pound pistol versus a 6 pound carbine) which will dampen recoil and the transfer point of the recoil energy is moved from the weaker arm joints used when shooting handguns, to directly to the torso when the butt is tucked into the shoulder.

They are also usually easier to manipulate action on than trying to rack the slide of a semi auto.

Reactions: Flash60601

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
I voted pump shotgun. My carry gun is on the bedside table; I have my AK easily accessible; my lever 357 is available. I have several other revolvers and semiautos available too. But my Shockwave is also by my bed and doesn’t fall into the category of a long arm which might be difficult to maneuver in a house. Kept loaded with 5+1, it can be quite a deterrent to traversing the 20 foot hallway needed to access our bedroom.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Whatever gun I choose, I'll just feel sorry for the guy.....trying to explain his way into heaven.....

.....because he was shot and killed by a naked dude in the dark.

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
Yeah, rifles come in more handy in a rural setting. I've shot 2 wild boar out of my back yard since I've been here, one of 'em with my .308 in broad daylight, the other about 4AM with my SKS rifle and green laser. I had him on ice as the sun was coming up. Livin' out here is fun. :D

I do have a permanent neighbor across the road, about 600 yards from the road and down the road a bit. One bright full moon night about 12:30AM, there were two big boar in his front pasture. He unleashed with what had to be at least a .300 Win Mag. I was out of bed and on my feet real quick. :rofl: Pigs are everywhere out here.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Voted Semi Auto Pistol.

Taurus PT92. Bedside, loaded and locked. Two additional loaded magazines in place. If I need more, several options are within fighting distance, but all are hand guns.

I bought a beautiful 870 20 ga. youth model thinking that my wife might not be inhibited to shoot it if necessary, but that proved impractical. Our home has few clear lines of fire for long guns.

Three double stack mags of 9 mm ought to win the day...

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Let me clarify my answer a bit.....I have zero intention of clearing my house. My plan is to put the family in my bedroom, lock the door, have my wife on the phone with 911, and I shoot anybody who tries to come through that door. The only way I would clear my house is if I had a family member unaccounted for and I had to go look for them. I would not like that scenario, but if I had to do it, I've got any number of handguns I could use to perform that task.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts