Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Powr'ball seems to be the best out there for its unique design and for the fact that if it was invented 20 years ago it would have made any other hollow tip obsolete. check it out at corbon.com

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Whatever works best in your gun first. Second if all work well (feeding, ejecting, etc.) which ever gets the best ballistics results from your gun. JMO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i love about powr'ball ammo, its designed to chamber.... and the polymer ball helps in expansion, self defense ammo at its best.....

·
Registered
32,094 Posts
I see Powerball more for use in a semi auto that does not cycle well with regular hollowpoints. It is supposed to have value for shooting through heavy coats and still having an ability to get good expansion. It was the first player I remember in this line of thinking. Since that time, other manufactures have came out with bullets to handle either one or both perceived problems.

The Federal Expanding FMJ is one of those and the Hornady Critical Defense or Zombie ammo are two of the bullets that follow the same reasoning for being developed.

Most recent semi-autos are not that finicky after break-in of what they will feed anymore, and in Texas, I haven't been real concerned about heavy clothing.

I have never bought any of those three ammos. I have never deliberately bought any boutique or specialty ammo. Just good name brand hollowpoints that function properly in my semi-autos. About 5 years ago, I happened onto a deal on Winchester Silver Tip hollow points in 45 acp and got a pretty good supply, although I have Hydrashocks, Cor-bon, Gold Dots, Remingtons and Winchester hollow-points as well in my stash. I would prefer all one brand, but opportunities to get good buys when I was building up stocks presented themselves.

If the Powerball was all that would reliably shoot in a semi I owned, I would definitely get it. My guns just aren't finicky, and the Powerball is pricey!

·
Registered
810 Posts
"Best" against what standard or use? I am unaware of any ammo caliber or bullet 'style' with which I would ask to be shot.

Reactions: MadKaw

·
Registered
32,094 Posts
I don't think the Powerball is a hyped up ammo like many such as Extreme Shock Fang Face or DRT, but you have to really watch for the Magic Bullet of the Month claims to be just a way to separate you from more money than you should be spending.

My rule of thumb is never to pay more than a buck a round for defensive ammo, if that much (I'm talking .45 ACP) and better buys than that can be found.

Reliable is the key word.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I have always liked Powerball. I have shot it and carried it, but never tested it. It may do well.
I bought a new 380 little over a month ago. I bought some Remington 88 gr jhp UMC target ammo at Walmart. It shot great through my gun, fed well, hit on target, no issues. I decided to shoot a water jug- wow! It exited the 2nd jug, bounced off the third and expanded better than Hornady 90 gr CD or Fiocchi 90 gr jhp. I intend to shoot this stuff through 2 and 4 layers of denim my next outing. My point here- some of this old stuff is just as good as the new and 1/3 the price.
I am not at all saying don't shoot the high dollar stuff- no, I'm saying take a look at some of this older style ammo you may find a good round that plentiful and cheap.
I think- from what I have seen- that the DPX and PDX stuff has had a better showing in the latest SD ammo. But its not always available to many of us.

Edit: Another point to consider- the choice of ammo for shorter barrel guns is more critical. If the barrel is to short to get the velocity up there- then there will be little or no expansion. What ever you intend to shoot- test it in your gun.

·
Registered
32,094 Posts
The 88 grain UMC jhp is a great choice for the small pocket .380's as it has a small cavity, a good profile most similar to a fmj and allows a good balance of penetration and expansion as well as reliability. That is what I keep in my Keltec. Nothing boutiquish or expensive, just the best of three worlds for the purposes I want.

In my ammo larder for larger calibers, I will have a couple or three hundred premium type defensive loads, and then another 300-500 rounds of UMC and Winchester lesser expensive hollowpoints for longer term needs. All have been tested for reliability in my handguns, and they would make good barter ammo if it came to that.

Reactions: brojohn

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
As far as hollow points go I have had very good results with MAC Razorback ammunition. Made by a company somewhere near Detriot. I can get 9mm 115gr for $15 a box if I make the trip down there to pick it up from the factory or around $17 a box if I buy it from my LGS.

MAC Ammo

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Your thoughts?

"IF" a magic bullet did exist every law enforcement agency in the nation would be using "IT", and all the other companies would be out of business.

But it doesn't, so select what you shoot the best in your particular gun and spend all that magic bullet money on LOTS of practice ammo.

Get the basics down, and practce till your skill level is where you want it.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
As far as hollow points go I have had very good results with MAC Razorback ammunition. Made by a company somewhere near Detriot. I can get 9mm 115gr for $15 a box if I make the trip down there to pick it up from the factory or around $17 a box if I buy it from my LGS.

MAC Ammo
With a name like that you'd think there would be at least one Arkansas store selling it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I just bought some Winchester PDX1 Defender 230 gr. bonded JHP's. At the local Wally World they were $29.97 an box of 20, so I went to my LGS and they had the exact same thing for $23 a box of 20. I think WW is jacking up the prices lately. $7 dollars difference is big to me, since I sold all my .40's I only have the .45's now and can concentrate on 1 size. Maybe 1 day I will be able to load my own like a lot of guys on here. If the SHTF I am coming to see Smokewagon or Jake or 1 of those guys.LOL

·
Registered
36,602 Posts
AHH, let me ask before I answer??
does anyone remember the type of ammo that they used in the "Atomic Rifle" that the Army had back in the 70's??
anyway thats my choice as long as someone else fires it!!-LOL
my second choice would be the one that functions 120% of the time in the particular gun that its being chosen for.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
As long as it chambers easily, goes bang reliably, and hits in the general area of my aim then i'm happy. Price tends to be a small factor as well, but that's all relative to what is available in your area. 100 pack of Remington UMC 230 gr JHP's is under $45 at Walmart, not too bad for a range or emergency situation IMO.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hollow points. What every your gun likes the most.

·
Banned
893 Posts
I use CCI Blazer Aluminum .45 ACP 230gr FMJ, the main reason I bought them is that they cost me $279.80 a thousand (0.27c each $13.99 box 50) then I noticed they run very well in my 1911's and Glocks. That's all I buy now for my 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm and 45ACP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After purchasing my Taurus PT145 yesterdya, I inquired of the salesman (former Army Ranger) what would he recommend for range use & personal (home) defense loads. He recommended Hornaday Critical Defense loads (185 grain FTX) as they work better in the smaller semi-autos. No feeding problems. That 20-round box cost $20.99.

Then he recommended Lellier& Bellot for range use. 230-grains at $20.99 a box. I picked up two. The question in my mind was/is, why practice with a heavy round, but load/shoot lighter rounds for defense.

Would appreciate any input. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts