Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of purchasing some ammo for my new PT709 and I'm not certain what's the best brand and grain to go with. Should I go with anything above 124 grain? What's best for the range and what's best for concealed protection? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Taurus recommends the 124gn. I have shot thousands of rounds from 115gn to 147gn +and standard. I have see-sawed from different grain of carry ammo and for the past 6 months have exclusivily carried the Hornady CD 115gn. The main reason is I like to practice with the 115 ball and I think that is what I should carry and have found that repeat shot are consistantly on target with sometimes in the same hole.

You can definitly get the job done with a heavyer grain but with modern loads they all will work. So, price/availabilty/shot pattern/reliabilty are what drove me to the Hornady CD 115's.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Taurus recommends the 124gn. I have shot thousands of rounds from 115gn to 147gn +and standard. I have see-sawed from different grain of carry ammo and for the past 6 months have exclusivily carried the Hornady CD 115gn. The main reason is I like to practice with the 115 ball and I think that is what I should carry and have found that repeat shot are consistantly on target with sometimes in the same hole.

You can definitly get the job done with a heavyer grain but with modern loads they all will work. So, price/availabilty/shot pattern/reliabilty are what drove me to the Hornady CD 115's.
Curious where you got the info that 124 gr. is recommended by Taurus for the 709 - I can find no recommendation of ammo on Taurus site or manuals other than don't use +P+ and avoid +P.

I use 115 gr. exclusively on range (recent WWB and Rem UMC) FMJ and 147 gr. JHP for carry and a few on range to be sure it feeds. 124 gr. is hard to come by in these parts or more expensive than I want to pay when the 115 gr. works well. I have never had a FTF or FTE with my 709 which has about 300 rds. thru it, and she has eaten any brand ammo I've used. It's at home in Miami currently for the low/left, having maxed my adj. sites thought I'd let Taurus warranty take care of the problem since I don't have the problem with my 740.

jbtty - nevermind - found it - see post below.:redface:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Curious where you got the info that 124 gr. is recommended by Taurus for the 709 - I can find no recommendation of ammo on Taurus site or manuals other than don't use +P+ and avoid +P.
My manual doesn't specifically say the 709 is ok for +P but lists all guns that are chambered in 9mm as being ok for it. It does recommend not shooting it all the time though.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
My manual doesn't specifically say the 709 is ok for +P but lists all guns that are chambered in 9mm as being ok for it. It does recommend not shooting it all the time though.
The new on line Taurus manual doesn't mention grain at all and as you state does say no +P+ and use little +P (was what I was alluding to when I said avoid). However, the original manuals that came with my 709 and 740 does mention grain 124 gr. for 709 and 180 gr. for 740 - although it doesn't say "recommended" it just shows muzzle velocity for those loads. The original manual also does not mention +P or +P+ (it just mentions SAAMI or equal). Pages discussing ammunition in both old and new Slim manuals are pages 20 and 21.

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/slim_pistol_manual.pdf

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The plain truth is there is no "best grain" or magic bullet for any pistol. With any new pistol it is best to purchase as many different types and manufacturers of SD rounds in your caliber, go to the range and try them. It is best to do this after break in firing. Then go with the SD rounds that work the best for you with that pistol. Once you have decided on that, stock up on them. Then you can start looking for cheap practice rounds that shoot close to the POA of your SD rounds, and stock up on them. If you reload, you can adjust the rounds for your pistol by changing powders, primers, OAL, and/or bullets.

Having said that, my PT-111 works best with Win 115 grain SXZ moly coated JHP and my PT-92 AFS is best with Speer 124 grain gold dots. I have a close friend of mine with a Kahr CW-9 and Federal 147 grain HST JHP are the charm for him. Go with what shoots best for you and you will need to try many different types and sizes to find that best bullet for yourself. Maybe you get lucky and find that best bullet on your first try, but probably not. My PT-111 was the most finicky about ammo and took me the longest to find what worked best for it of all my pistols.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far from what information I have gathered in my research for narrowing down on ammo, I have noticed that 3 brands have come up with favorable results for most which are Federal, Gold Dot and Hornady. So that definitely gives me a reference point to start from. I'll check into these and as recommended, I'll determine which works best for me. I greatly appreciate the input folks!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my SS 709 about 2 years ago and it seemed broken in from the git go. Not once has it malfunctioned. I've had good luck with the Fiocchi 124 grain hp with the xtp bullet...Very accurate and reasonbly priced and I clocked it about 1000 fps. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'll echo what GreenWolf said above....and I'll add the 124-grain bullets are a good compromise between weight and velocity.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
For target practice, 115 gr. For self-defense, 124+P JHP. 147 will work, but I don't like heavier bullets for short barreled pistols. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
124 is a solid round to look at for any 9mm. I shoot more 115 practice and SD than anything else. See my posts about my recent range trip reports. I have a good selection of 9mm and recent range results currently have me loading Winchester Ranger 147 in my 709. It's still new territorry for me do I'm not locked on that BUT I do wish that I had a consistant supply of 9 & 40 in all grains of JHP in Ranger as it has become a favorite of mine over the last few years!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts