Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sit here preparing for another day in sunny Florida, I was thinking about once again working on my project gun. It's a project just to get it to fire more than 2 consecutive round before failing. The gun in question is a Jennings/Bryco .380. This gun has been the absolute worse gun I ever owned although I also have a Sterling .25 semi auto which runs a very close second.:eek: The Jennings is so bad that I'm actually scared to shoot it. I've thought of unloading it at a local gun show for a couple of boxes of my favorite ammo, but doubt if it would garner that deal. So what's your worse gun and what did you finally do with it? I might use this as a club. Biggz:D

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
I owned a Walther P22 that I really wanted to love. I think it was an older one that somebody must not have taken care of......I got past the feeding issue it was having, only to to run into the hard wall of inconsistent firing pin strikes. A gunsmith was going to charge me a little less to fix it than what I bought it for. Traded it in on my Ruger 10/22 and still looking for a good deal on a 22 pistol.

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
I had a Sterling, but mine was a .22. Never could get it to work. I did the world a favor and chucked it into the Pacific ocean off Hawaii about 1978.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate; I've never owned a gun the didn't run. I did buy a Taurus M85 that had 2 things wrong with it out of the box: the barrel was turned too far canting the front sight so it shot way off point-of-aim, & in double-action the hammer would light-strike the primer. After 2 trips back to Taurus (my fault - I didn't discover the light-striking hammer until after the gun was returned to me with a new barrel), it ran fine. I sold it to a friend who as far as I know still has it today. This was back in the early to mid 90s.

I have a .22 semi-auto pistol that had to go back to Ruger because the trigger became disconnected; that happened once. I still have that gun.

I have an early S&W 686, -1 or -2 I believe, that had to go back to tighten up the cylinder end play. That was around 1990; I still have that gun & it's been fine since.

I guess the worst gun is a Jennings J-22 that I also still have. I bought it in the late 80s on a whim. After I polished the feed ramp a little it always seemed to function OK & it certainly does hide away easy, but it is strictly a novelty to me now. I still have the box though! I figure one of these days, I'll turn it in to one of those gun buy-backs when they are offering $100 or so & make a tidy profit! :D

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
When I was 12, I bought a new RG 22 short for $6 or $7 ....1960. The Pot metal front sight fell off after 5 rounds, the loading gate broke off after that. It looked like a starter pistol and was mostly pot metal. I finally put it in the burn barrel at the farm. I think even the cylinder was pot metal, I know the frame was. I always figured this was the gun they were referring to anytime I heard the term "Saturday night special." I'm sure a zip gun was better quality.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
I purchased a little .22lr pistol some 33 years or so back at Traders Village in GP, TX. Don't recall the brand, but everytime you fired it you got a face full of blowback something. I still have that little plastic handled pistol, it is such a piece of crap there is no way I would allow it to fall into anyone elses hands.

·
Administrator
39,480 Posts
When I was 12, I bought a new RG 22 short for $6 or $7 ....1960. The Pot metal front sight fell off after 5 rounds, the loading gate broke off after that. It looked like a starter pistol and was mostly pot metal. I finally put it in the burn barrel at the farm. I think even the cylinder was pot metal, I know the frame was. I always figured this was the gun they were referring to anytime I heard the term "Saturday night special." I'm sure a zip gun was better quality.
Geeze. This sounds just like the one I bought, when I was 14. I'm pretty sure it was all steel though. It was out of time, and I literally shot the barrel off of it. Probably a good thing too, as I was on my way to trouble at that age. I remember dumping it in a trash barrel behind a Toddle House restaurant, on 34th street, in Lubbock, Texas, very shortly there after.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
I had a Sterling, but mine was a .22. Never could get it to work. I did the world a favor and chucked it into the Pacific ocean off Hawaii about 1978.
...circa 1976 Sterling .22 which became part of a fishing reef in the Gulf of Mexico during the same time frame...

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I had a chrome plated Raven .25ACP pocket pistol that I got in a trade. It had about a 20 pound trigger pull and the cartridge was so under powered that the bullets would bounce off the 55 gallon drum we used to fasten our targets to. Traded it off the first chance I got....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Light blue plastic squirt gun, had to have it, it wrapped around your knuckles and looked real cool. Would only squirt about 2 feet and leaked out of trigger constantly. :D

Here is a picture of a red one:

$(KGrHqFHJDkE7zJ4BdfTBO-PZt)36g~~60_57[1].jpg

Seriously I have been pretty lucky when it comes to guns; I have not had a bad one yet.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've never owned a Raven, Jennings, or Sterling or any other small automatic. I'm primarily a revolver owner. One gun that I could never get to run the way I wanted it to as compared to a 1911A1 was a Ruger P90. I came into the Ruger in a mixed up mishmash trade. The Ruger had been back to Ruger twice. The factory letters were with it in the box. It would not feed anything but factory spec hard ball ammo. I don't shoot that, I cast and load my own. I worked with that P90 for 15 months and finally gave up and traded it away. I suppose it is a good gun, many good reports around the net, but it wouldn't work the way my other 45 Autos did so it went away.

·
Registered
351 Posts
5" Barreled AMT Hardballer. Later model before they discontinued production. Thing was worse than a shotgun at 25 yards. I finally did tame it by swapping out the barrel for one made by "Centaur Systems" with a compensator on it. Had to do serious polish job on the feed ramp to get it to even feed standard round nose ammo. I used it as my IPSC gun for about a year. Passed it on at a pretty bad loss to a friend who was taking a gunsmithing course. He still has it and still swears at it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Beretta Bobcat .22LR

It was fun, but inconsistent in function until I finally wore it out.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Taurus PT-22. Almost identical to the Bobcat but it DID function a tiny bit better. Still in the same category though.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Just a reminder to everyone, if this thread turns into a brand bash-fest it will get locked. Taurus Armed does its reasonable best to not bash firearms.

Stick to the facts, keep any bashing comments private and all will be good.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The only gun I really had problems with was the 709. I tried everything to get that gun to be accurate. Couldn't even get it on paper at 7 yards. Don't know if it was the gun or me not being able to get use to it but it wasn't a good fit and my relationship with it has since ended. That's all I'll say about that.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have owned many firearms, so the memory is a little hazy, but the worst one I can think if was a Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm pistol. Ergonomics on this 1911 style pistol were so so, but the worst part was that some of the parts in the pistol including the ejector were simply held in by the slide. You had to be extremely careful or parts would kind of "sproing" all over the place. I wanted them to succeed as a company, but I couldn't get rid of it fast enough....

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
...circa 1976 Sterling .22 which became part of a fishing reef in the Gulf of Mexico during the same time frame...
Great minds think alike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My father gave me a Jennings 22 lr pocket pistol years ago. The first time I took it to the range after 2 shots it fell apart. I searched for 15 min to collect all the pieces. I thought it was my fault so I took it to a gunsmith to put back together. I picked it up about a week later and the smith said here's your gun and then handed me a paper bag. I said I don't need a bag because I have my CC permit. He assured me with a big smile " Believe me you will need this bag in the future" he did the job for free. Several weeks later I took the gun to the range and it work flawless for 2 1/2 clips and jammed. I cleared the jam shot one shot and it fell apart. I reached in my inside pocket and pulled out the bag the smith gave me opened it and found a refrigerator magnet with a note "You're welcome". I gathered up the pieces, put it back together and took it to the next gun buy back program in my area. I got $100 and a coffee for it. I felt very bad about selling the gun my father gave me and told him years later when he asked about it. He laughed when he heard what I got for it since it was given to him for the same issues I was having.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
As a kid I traded for a RG10 that was 22 short only. 1 out of 6 chambers lined up with the barrel. Marked it and like Barney only loaded one bullet at a time. For a kid it was ok. Traded it for something else a few months later.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.