Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mother of the teenage thug complained about not receiving any respect. I've heard that used several times in other events, and I'm confused. What is RESPECT ?? How is it defined ? Does the black community have a different definition of it ? To me it's earned, but even that feeling doesn't define it.

·
22,034 Posts
I'd take that to mean she's upset that there are too many people who still value honesty.

Her son was a violent thug. I'm sorry for what she's going through, but I don't feel much respect for her.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I'd take that to mean she's upset that there are too many people who still value honesty.

Her son was a violent thug. I'm sorry for what she's going through, but I don't feel much respect for her.

2cents.gif happy-ditto.gif

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
This word like is, like many others, misused. It is intended to convey that which honors another. It can be as simple as saying excuse me or thank you to something as difficult as honoring a last wish. In this instance it is twisted to mean I feel I have been wronged and I want reparations.

The media and social media outlets just amplify and reinforce the misuse. Teach when you can and equip those individuals with the skills to do the same. Hold each other accountable. Only then will we raise them and ourselves up.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
The way I grew up, respect isn't a thing, it's an action. Respect isn't received, it is given.

You can earn it, but can never demand or ask for it. It must be given freely without demand. And it is a one way emotion: it has to be given without expecting anything in return - other wise, it's self gratifying and lost it's true meaning.

Sadly, a person who does not understand respect or respect themselves will never give it to anybody else. They will demand to receive it even though they don't really know what it is.

Respect means you and I can have completely opposite feelings or beliefs about something ( and can be about anything at all) , but I will defend your right to have those beliefs with as much enthusiasm as I defend mine. And although our beliefs may be different, I still treat you as if our beliefs were exactly the same.

Reactions: cassrh
1 - 9 of 9 Posts