Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I am a total noob but I have in my possession a Taurus model 84 nickel plated .38 Special revolver . I have had this gun in my sock drawer for about 30 years and never fired it. I think it is in good condition. I want to sell it because I want a smaller pistol for CCW . I want to purchase a ‘small’ .38 revolver. What can I expect to get for my Taurus 84?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
In truth, not a lot. Revolvers are not popular right now. .38 is not a popular caliber. Revolvers too large for concealed carry....you see where I'm headed. Right now you're probably better off holding on to the gun and simply buying a concealed carry gun. If you care, Palmetto State Armory is selling the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm for 249, plus shipping and transfer fees.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I have an 84. Mine's blued. It's a keeper.

·
Super Moderator
17,716 Posts
Somewhere in the neighborhood of $200. I gave $220 for one much newer than yours. If you can get $250 that would be top dollar.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I see M80s, M84s and old style M82s in local shops for $150-250. The last few years they've trended mostly into the sub-$200 range. If they're exceptionally fine, especially with the original box & papers, $250-300. If you're trading it in, most local shops offer low dollars (75-100) because they're slow movers and they don't really want them.

Seriously... it's a good revolver and you're far better off keeping it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey! I am a total noob but I have in my possession a Taurus model 84 nickel plated .38 Special revolver . I have had this gun in my sock drawer for about 30 years and never fired it. I think it is in good condition. I want to sell it because I want a smaller pistol for CCW . I want to purchase a ‘small’ .38 revolver. What can I expect to get for my Taurus 84?

Thanks to all you guys for the response. You are all very kind to help me. I am 71 years old and active. I have a CCW license and really wanted to just carry the weapon in my car. Even though Georgia does NOT require a license for automobiles, I felt it might prevent any 'issues' from arising. I would probably be happier with the gun if I could change out the stock grip for one a bit 'Man size' with some 'cushion' to it. Does anyone know of where I can get a better grip for this gun? I looked all over the internet but did not find anything that I was sure was right. I think with the right amount of practice I could be ok with the double action also. Thanks you guys!

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
A grip made for a Taurus “medium frame” should fit the 84. Best to look at a local store so you can verify before purchase.

·
Super Moderator
17,716 Posts
There's Houge: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003885534?pid=210605

You might be able to find a pair of Pachmayrs on eBay. You'll want to look for similar model numbers like the Model 80 which was the fixed sight version of your gun. The Pachmayr tend to be shorter and thicker. The Houges are tall, but thinner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THanks to everybody !! I went by my local gun shop and range and decided to keep the Taurus 84. The person there said it was in excellent condition and if I was going to primarily carry in my automobiles, I really did not need a CCW size gun. My next task is to take my Mossberg Shockwave and the Taurus to the range and see if they go 'bang'. I am going to have to continue to hunt down some upscale grips and a holster though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was totally embarrassed by my failure to install a Hogue grip on the Taurus 84 and take it to a smith who installed it in under 30 seconds right in front of me!

Apparently, I cannot not only not follow instructions but cannot understand pictures either!

At this point the gun is being cleaned and tested at the local smith. My only apparent issue is finding the right holster to carry it in my car.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I was totally embarrassed by my failure to install a Hogue grip on the Taurus 84 and take it to a smith who installed it in under 30 seconds right in front of me!

Apparently, I cannot not only not follow instructions but cannot understand pictures either!

At this point the gun is being cleaned and tested at the local smith. My only apparent issue is finding the right holster to carry it in my car.
We've all been in that boat at one time or another!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I sold a mid 70s model 84 a few months ago with a Hogue grip. It was a nice blued one. I decided to sell it after several years because it is large and was not made for +P ammo which I had bought by accident. I went to Gunbroker and they seemed to sell between $150 and 200. I took it to my local pawn shop and told him I wanted to net $150. I went back a few weeks later and he handed me $150 so I don't know what he got for it. DSCF0023.JPG

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
Glad that you got it set up the way that you like it. Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Taurus Stainless model 84 came out of the gunsmith all cleaned, oiled, and test fired. It passed the inspection with 'flying colors'. I was told it was in excellent condition. However now I am having second-thoughts about keeping it. I am thinking I want to sell it and get the Taurus G2C. I am thinking the G2C gives me better Carry options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know I cannot seem to make up my mind but, being a real noob with guns and CCW, I had to come down on the fact that the Taurus 84, fully loaded, is too much for me to handle due to what I consider to be 'unwieldy' due to the size and weight of the gun.
When I picked it up the barrel ended up pointing at the ground most of the time. I was able to mitigate this somewhat by wrapping my wrist tightly with many layers of duct tape. In my car, I could move it up to the driver side window with both hands but that was dangerous while driving.
So I am looking at the G2C ...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I know I cannot seem to make up my mind but, being a real noob with guns and CCW, I had to come down on the fact that the Taurus 84, fully loaded, is too much for me to handle due to what I consider to be 'unwieldy' due to the size and weight of the gun.
When I picked it up the barrel ended up pointing at the ground most of the time. I was able to mitigate this somewhat by wrapping my wrist tightly with many layers of duct tape. In my car, I could move it up to the driver side window with both hands but that was dangerous while driving.
So I am looking at the G2C ...
I sold my Model 84 because it was big and heavy which made it difficult to CC. I replaced it with smaller and easier to carry guns starting with a TPC to a PT-111 G2 to a 605 to a 856 and finally a Spectrum. They all shoot well and CC pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
I did pick up a Taurus G2C yesterday.
My sympathies, but this needs to go into classifieds and you need 25 posts to get there...

·
Super Moderator
13,825 Posts
The original poster opened this thread asking what his revolver is worth. That question has been answered, and now it looks, Bchick1, like you will be selling it. Taurus Armed members are not allowed to advertise items for sale in the classified section until they have a minimum of 25 posts - thus, you are currently not qualified. Also, any advertising, once you are qualified, must be done in the Classified section of the Lounge. Be sure to read the rules and guidelines if you decide to advertise here at TA.

Thanks to all who helped with welcomes, pricing and suggestions. We got a good bunch of people here, Bchick1.

This thread has run its course and is closed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.