Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8,151 Posts
Is that like Gaddafi's line of death?

· Registered
55 Posts
I assume you mean at a range? That's the line behind which shooters should stand when a cease fire is called for whatever reason. Everyone puts the guns down, with the actions open to show unloaded, and steps back behind the line while the rangemaster checks to make sure all weapons are down, unloaded, with the actions open. Then the range goes "cold." While the range is cold, NO ONE goes past the cease fire line, or handles a weapon during that time. Shooters can now go downrange to check/hang/pull targets, police brass, or whatever is needed.

Crossing that line during a cease fire will likely get you asked to hit the road.

· Registered
19,174 Posts
I assume you mean at a range? That's the line behind which shooters should stand when a cease fire is called for whatever reason. Everyone puts the guns down, with the actions open to show unloaded, and steps back behind the line while the rangemaster checks to make sure all weapons are down, unloaded, with the actions open. Then the range goes "cold." While the range is cold, NO ONE goes past the cease fire line, or handles a weapon during that time. Shooters can now go downrange to check/hang/pull targets, police brass, or whatever is needed.

Crossing that line during a cease fire will likely get you asked to hit the road.
Sounds like a good answer to me.. Never been to a range. Always been able to shoot in my back yard. Thanks for the answer..

· Super Moderator
20,209 Posts
Yep - would agree. But at one of the local ranges I shoot at occasionally, there is no "Cease fire line". When cease fire is needed, RO calls it, all weapons are then put down on the table with action open but you don't have to go anywhere and most folks use this time, if not managing downrange targets, reloading magazines and cylinders. In fact, "Range Cold" is called by whoever happens to say it first after cease fire is called and only then do you walk in front of the shooting area. And when everyone is done doing whatever they did during "Cold" the shooters all look at each other and give a "yes" nod of the head and again one of the shooters calls "Range Hot" and firing commences.

Yes, they do have several ROs whose presence is to offer advice, police the area, etc. but the shooters themselves remain active participants in the process as the RO may be tied up when a Cold or Hot occurs.

· Registered
16,283 Posts
At Leeds Firing Range it is a mutual agreement thing among the shooters. No RO there, so we just decide among ourselves when to go cold.
Usually shoot for 25-30 minutes, then do the target thing, pick up brass, reload, take a break, whatever.

· Registered
2,919 Posts
At Leeds Firing Range it is a mutual agreement thing among the shooters. No RO there, so we just decide among ourselves when to go cold.
Usually shoot for 25-30 minutes, then do the target thing, pick up brass, reload, take a break, whatever.
Pretty much the same here but you often find yourself instructing new-B's for every ones safety.

· Registered
81 Posts
... While the range is cold, NO ONE goes past the cease fire line, or handles a weapon during that time. Shooters can now go downrange to check/hang/pull targets, police brass, or whatever is needed.

New to the range, and staying indoors where the targets hang on a cable. I'm sure this is a dumb question and it will probably be obvious when I finally get to the outdoor range this spring, but those going downrange still don't cross the cease fire line?

We don't shoot magnums indoors, so I'm getting impatient with the weather here in Dayton limiting me to the .38 special rounds. No RO indoors, and there may not be one outside, so I don't want to screw up my first time.

· Registered
16,283 Posts
My guess is a cease fire line is a few feet behind the firing line and/or benches and one must walk behind that to the ends of the firing line and then downrange.

· Registered
16,335 Posts

While I agree with the basic idea and have seen it in action I have a question.... If you cant cross the cease fire line, how do you walk down range or pick up brass?:)

· Super Moderator
27,406 Posts
At my range, there is on "cease fire line" There is a red line between the shooting tables and the gear benches/seats.
Cease fire is called by the RSO usually around 8 mins. He declares the range cold and checks each weapon on the shooting bench for safety.
When satisfied, he then takes down the chains and allows you to check/change targets etc.Declaring range cold.
If you cross that red line to pick up a mag or whatever. YOU WILL BE CALLED ON IT!
When you finish shooting you must wait until "hot range" is called and remove your weapons etc from the shooting tables.

· Registered
55 Posts
New to the range, and staying indoors where the targets hang on a cable. I'm sure this is a dumb question and it will probably be obvious when I finally get to the outdoor range this spring, but those going downrange still don't cross the cease fire line?

We don't shoot magnums indoors, so I'm getting impatient with the weather here in Dayton limiting me to the .38 special rounds. No RO indoors, and there may not be one outside, so I don't want to screw up my first time.
The line is in the firing area. To go downrange to service targets, etc., you exit the firing area, and go through a "gate" to go downrange.

While I agree with the basic idea and have seen it in action I have a question.... If you cant cross the cease fire line, how do you walk down range or pick up brass?:)
You can pick up brass behind the line, or what you can reach with a broom. If you can't reach it with the broom, you wait until the range goes "hot."

Remember though. Every range has it's quirks, and it's own rules. Check to make sure you know them. If there is no RO, there should be written rules posted somewhere. If you don't see them, ask someone. If in doubt, always err on the side of being too careful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.