Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard the term barbecue gun used on this forum a number of times however, I have not heard reference to it anywhere else.

I was thinking about it the other day and decided to do some research on it. It seems it's difficult to get any hard-and-fast information. The term supposedly is used in the southwestern United States particularly in the state of Texas. Once again, supposedly it is a term for what was originally called a court gun. According to Legend the term Court gun originated with the first of the Texas Rangers. They would have a favorite handgun that they had dressed up by adding special grips, refinishing, Engraving or in laying of other metals done to. These dressed up guns were used and worn when the ranger had to go to court

While many of these Court guns were guns that the Rangers not only wore to court with their GoToMeeting clothes but they also use them daily carrying out their Ranger duties. At this point it seems the court guns started to be worn at barbecues and other social functions. It seems there is no preference over revolvers or semi automatic handguns as to which makes a better barbecue gun. Some of the pictures that I found of BBQ guns were of beautiful firearms While others tended to be garish flashy and overdone.

I guess my question here today is how do you Define a barbecue gun? Do you have a barbecue gun? Do you use your barbecue gun for other functions or strictly as a showpiece? I have seen pictures but I also wanted to ask what kind of a gun can be a barbecue gun? Can a Glock be a barbecue gun? How about a Hi-Point? I don't suppose there's a set of rules anywhere that can be double checked as to what makes a barbecue gun

I have a few guns that I think qualify as barbecue guns. Do you have pictures of your barbecue guns and would you please post them? I find this to be an interesting topic and look forward to learning more from y'all about them.

Don

·
17,567 Posts
I don't have any, not my thing, but I do have some thoughts....

The rig is as important as the gun, maybe more so. The gun is going to remain holstered so nobody is going to see much of the Class A engraving on your nickel Model 19. To me it's all leather and grips.

I do not think a Hi-Point could ever be a BBQ gun. I guess a Glock could but I do not know how you'd pull that off. Firearm adornment is an art form. The Glock perfection is in it's utility.

And by the way...."y'all" is singular. The plural version is "all y'all". It's a Texas thing.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Here's the flashiest that I have:

IMG_1701.JPG

The 1911 looks really nice in a holster The grips, alone, make it a conversation piece.......

......P220 Elite? I'm too afraid a holster would rub away the finish on the slide. It was a gift from my father and I value it far too much to try.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,763 Posts
A barbecue gun is one of those items that you know when you see it. Like owning a restored classic car of any kind, I wouldn't want to drive it for the daily commute, but weekends and special events - you betcha.

When it comes to dressing up a Glock for a barbecue gun - well, maybe. But a Hi-Point? That'd kinda be like putting lipstick on a pig. I just don't know if it would work.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I kind of like the grips but, for me, with all that gold embellishment it crosses over from a BBQ gun to the realm of pimp pistol. I don't have any myself but a BBQ gun to me is just a "dress" pistol, much along the lines of dress shoes or dress slacks or jeans. As someone else said, it's as much about the grips and the rig as it has to do with any fancy engraving. I can see any high dollar, bespoke pistol qualifying even without a lot of adornment.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Personally, if I were to attend such a BBQ, then my choice would be this...

Hi-Point C9 with $100 Bill Finish

Guaranteed to turn some heads.

But seriously, I'm a "less is more" sort of guy with an appreciation for natural beauty, ergo I'd opt for something simple yet elegant, like a Single Action Army, 1911, or PPK with either a polished blue or stainless finish and walnut/rosewood grips.

·
Super Moderator
35,510 Posts
Now I am not from Texas and have never lived there...BUT if I do relocate there, I'll be looking for something like this and have it in an elaborately tooled buscadero rig. This is my idea of a BBQ gun.

BBQ gun.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,510 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't have a BBQ gun. But I think the guns Czech and NT show are great examples of what I would consider to be BBQ guns. And to complete the look a holster like Czech links to is a must. That is a gorgeous holster!

I do think the right 1911 could be used for someone that might prefer a semiauto.

·
21,927 Posts
I posted this on my Indian Motorcycle forum, and was told "that looks like a BBQ gun."

DSC09289.JPG

But really, if I was told "get your BBQ gun," I'd grab this .45 Colt Ruger, and this holster.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 99 Posts