Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Just bought the pt740 slim today.
Took apart to clean per instruction. Attempting to assemble per instruction and i didnt do something right.
I have cleaned my 24/7 .40 several times so have a couple takedowns under my belt.
However i have jammed this thing. Put the barrel in. Then the spring, while attempting to put the slide in it is jammed but good. Can only move back or forward abit. Looking at it i see the front of the spring sticking out. Not flush. I am stuck. Cant get it forward to clear the trigger housing etc.
Thoughts?
Michael

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
got a picture? might help.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
What he said. ^^^

ZING.

Can you pull the trigger? Will the slide release tabs move down? This looks like a three handed fix.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
The only 700 I have owned was a 745 and to disassemble it you popped out a pin, your 740 is a bit different. I can't see what would keep the slide from going back forward off the frame.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its almost like the barrel is jammed against the slide. I cant figure out why the spring is sticking out or how it got that way. It was in tje correct position when i put the slide it but when i started to move it forward it became jammed.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
tthe recoil spring assemby is not in backwards is it? ( I dont own one, so that may be a stupid question ) Hopefully someone more knowledgable about this model will be along soon.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
There is often a little point on the end that goes against the barrel that rides in a notch if there is a little point on the end sticking out it is probably wrong. I can't tell from the picture if it is a point or a shadow, I don't even know if that model has one. I would try getting the disassembly latch back down and get it back apart if you can. The recoil spring should come off with the slide without binding if you can get the slide free of the frame.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
See if i did the pic right.
I just checked my 709 and it looks like the recoil assembly has slipped off the narrow shelf it should set in. However after just rechecking it looks like the end of the recoil spring has pushed through the hole in the slide. Can you lock the slide back? Can you pull the trigger?

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
The spring end at muzzle is domed or mushroom button; the end against barrel is flat steel. I tried to put mine together backward and it would be difficult to do as the rounded dome would not stay against barrel shoulder. I presume if you look at the spring assembly beyond muzzle you see the smaller center stem and them the larger dia. stem, but no spring is visible?? In any case I suspect something has gone haywire with the recoil spring assembly as your center stem is way past end of frame by about 3/8" of where it should be. If you can't move the slide or pull down the slide release (this must be done evenly on both sides) or pull the trigger, I haven't a clue how to get it back to normal. Wish I could help. May be time for the rubber mallet or a trip to Miami, which really sucks on a brand new pistol.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
If it's bound tight it may take 3 hands to get the disassembly tabs to move. I think that's key to breaking this loose. That spring MAY indeed be backward - it should not protrude. I'll Have a look at my 709 in the safe.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
Yeah - looks like the spring IS backwards ( I'm on a phone). The flat end, like wino said, rests against the barrel internally. All parts are pretty tough - the spring guide is probably the weak point. I think if you can get the breakdown tabs down (evenly) you will be able to lightly lightly manhandle the slide off. Like I said earlier, got a friend or a third arm that you can bring in for help?! My opinion but this is not a factory repair - maybe a new spring guide at worst. Better than weeks/ months in Miami, eh?!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I couldn't see have you removed the magazine? As I recall it must be out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The magazine is out. When i put back together everything seemed in place, barrel, then spring then put slide on and moved back and then it jammed. I am taking a chl class today, will use my 24/7 but going to take the problem with me and see if the instructor can lok at it. May have gunsmith at range if needed. I am at a loss.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
When you put it back together, there are two places that the guide rod can be placed on the barrel. If it took very little effort to compress the spring, and it was the farthest spot back from the end of the barrel, you put it in the right place. If it took some effort to compress the spring, you put it in the wrong place. The end of the guide rode that is the flat metal disk is what goes against the barrel and the domed end goes into the slide. I believe you have the guide rod facing the right way, but in the wrong spot on the barrel. That is what is causing the rod to stick out and it is binding the action. You need to push the slide forward but not all the way forward. You need to stop short of full forward by about an 1/8 inch. This is where you normally put the slide to push the take down levers on each side down when you disassemble it. When you get the slide there, and both levers down, pull the slide forward to remove. You might need to pull the trigger to get it all the way off, but the slide will be past the normal battery position and the levers should be staying down by themselves at this point. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.