Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a little on dry fire training and it sounds like something I ought to be doing. I have a Taurus 709 slim and wonder, will dry firing it cause any damage to the firing pin or any other internal workings? Is damage from dry firing any gun a myth or is there some truth to this tale? I'd also appreciate any tips or suggestions on this subject. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Excellent question, I have heard the same thing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dry fire training is a must in my opinion, but get some snap caps to protect your firing pin! I have some by Azoom that have no moving parts and are made of billet aluminum so they will last forever. They will also give you the ability to simulate a FTF during a drill so you can practice clearing in an emergency.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I've heard of snap caps. Would they be available at my local gun shop and are they model specific or universal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll look for them Tuesday. Thank you. Next thing, if a semi auto is recoil or gas operated, dry firing will not cycle the next round into the chamber. Seems like I'd have to keep pulling the slide each time to activate the trigger, true?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago that had a really good video on snap caps. I recomend watching it before purchasing any.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great, that sounds good. Can you give me an idea where to go to look for this video? I'm new to this forum and have not yet learned all the ins and outs so to speak. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I use snap caps in my 709. You need to practice pulling the trigger so you'll be used to the click of it. This will help with keeping on target and not flinching. I read somewhere that it helps with muscle memory. Your body will do what it knows so if all you do is practice drawing and not pulling the trigger, that is what you'll do when you need it.

You can check online or stores. I bought some for $15 bucks at cabelas but i'm sure you can find cheaper.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts