Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my wife today about what she would do with my guns; ammo; and reloading equipment if I were to die.

I have children, who live in other states, and could care less about guns and such.

You know the "vultures" will come around trying to take it all for pennies on the dollar.

I'm thinking that we could join some type of a club. Maybe we could add it to some other forums to maximize exposure.

Personally, I've got thousands of dollars invested in reloads, and reloading equipment. How about selling some type of lottery ticket for 100 bucks each. winner takes it all.

Same thing with my guns. My wife would probably keep one handgun, but the rest of them, and the rifles and shotgun could be included in a similar raffle.

We could list the guns and stuff way ahead of time, so that people would know what exactly is there when we meet our maker.

My wife says the idea is morbid. I think it's quite practical.

·
Registered
31,902 Posts
My sons would love to have my stuff but I'll have to give it to them before hand or the wife will sell it all, although I have already given them a lot of guns over the years. I'll give my youngest a 9mm G2 in May, and probably always keep a tab with running values, retail and wholesale values of the guns and ammo (all factory except a little of commercial reloads). Not that I'm planning on going too soon, but I have a gun dealer friend who sells on consignment and that is the best way for the wife to sell stuff, My wife is 9 years younger so the chances are she will outlive me by a bunch.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I am with you on the idea practical. I like the idea of a raffle assuming their are enough participants to raise money close to the monetary value of the lot.

Another idea is to find them future homes and settle on a price. Whatever you do put the details in your will.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I'm sure that when I go my gun collection will be the furthest thing from my mind :)

·
22,294 Posts
Well, Waltherfan, I've got some paperwork for you to sign then! :D

Rottie, I can see this taking off it it's set up right.

Reactions: Waltherfan01

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I've got 5 kids, no probs here.

Sarge

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Check out "Gun Trust". Bro-in-laws FIL looking into it for his substantial collection.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
my wife can do with it what she wants. i would tell her the best way to sell them for the best money, but i dont want to give her ideas!:D

Creek

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I want to take mine with me so when I meet a bad guy I can defend myself..:eek:

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Well, as much as I dislike even thinking about one of us shaking off this mortal coil leaving the other behind, we have set up a trust for some of the firearms and supressors...

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
If i have kids at that time, the collection will go to one of them, provided they have a interest, I got robbed twice, once, in a apartment, and once while i was mowing my freaking yard and some jackwagons walked into my open garage door and made off with some cordless powertools (thankfully i had worn those tools out and my replacements were inside the house, so they got junk tools with batteries that wouldn't charge), the first time i was totally unprepared for, thankfully they didn't get the guns, but did get all of my gaming equipment, games, movies, and tools, at the time i had nothings serial number written down or my name on anything, after that i started keeping a list, it has the serial number and value at time of purchase of everything i own, even the games and movies, if it has a serial and cost more then $10 it is added to the list, i also write my name on everything i own with a UV pen, you have to use a blacklight to see the markings, but with that it pretty easily will show you who the owner really is, and have a copy of the list in my google drive and dropbox online as well, my wife has access to the list, and gave access to it to my parents and sister just in case something should happen to both me and my wife.

So if/when i get robbed or pass on, the list can be used to either show the items stolen and the value for insurance and police, or, show a value of what they can be sold for, to help with funeral expenses and the like.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
My wife is not a gun person.

Told her whatever our son doesn't want take to the town police station.
Let them deal with it. Better yet, call them and have them do a home
pick-up.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
My sons would love to have my stuff but I'll have to give it to them before hand or the wife will sell it all, although I have already given them a lot of guns over the years. I'll give my youngest a 9mm G2 in May, and probably always keep a tab with running values, retail and wholesale values of the guns and ammo (all factory except a little of commercial reloads). Not that I'm planning on going too soon, but I have a gun dealer friend who sells on consignment and that is the best way for the wife to sell stuff, My wife is 9 years younger so the chances are she will outlive me by a bunch.
Having gone through a messy situation with a step-mother and witnessed a couple more in the family, I can tell you that anything you want to go to your kids, you need to put in your will and tell them about it now.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I have a close family member who I contacted a while back to discuss this very issue. We agreed I would take possession of his collection if he went first and vice versa if I went first. The survivor would coordinate the disbursement with the respective spouse. Maybe not the best plan, but at least it's a plan.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I hope to have given them to my children by that point.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
No brainer for me, my youngest son is a Marine

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I'm sure that when I go my gun collection will be the furthest thing from my mind :)

It's coming with me ! concrete casket with all my guns, ammo, reloading stuff, tools, etc inside. boated out to the magical bottomless ocean and (blub blub blub) to the bottom with all the lost guns of the world.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts