Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a question to get your juices running. Of all the guns, or any type or style, you have owned, which one has consistently put the biggest smile on your collective faces..?? Which one shouted out to everyone around you "Yeah, look at me, I'm having so much fun..".

For me it has to be the Winchester '94 that I owned for a good 10 years. It was chambered in .357/.38 and was just a hoot to shoot.. I never got tired of it despite it's little glitches. We regulary shot what we call gallery rifle competitions at my former club and, to a man, everyone else shot Marlins..!! When asked why I stuck with the Winchester 94 my answer was simple, and always the same. "You never saw John Wayne carrying a Marlin did you..?".

EDIT TO INCLUDE MY "SERIOUS DISTANCE" RIFLE..

This is a .308 Remington 700, Sendero action fitted with a PacNor barrel, bedded in a HS Precision Stock, with Badger Ordinance bolt knob 20MOA scope rail, 10 round detachable mag, an original military issue Parker-Hale bipod and, the only British made part, a muzzle brake by RPA. This photo shows the only time I ever shot the rifle at 100m.. it was custom built for me and designed to shoot 1000-1200m, and in fact I shot it a few times out to a mile. Cost me around $4000 dollars back in 2004..!!

Attachments

·
Registered
36,297 Posts
toss up fo me!
the Ar 15 Pistol in 300 Blackout or the CZ 97 BD.
the CZ Shadow -2 and the Tanfoglio Elite Match in 38 Super are close second placers.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Would have to be my Rock River AR-15. It's a mid range (out to around 500 yards) target gun. 22"bull barrel, National Match 2 stage trigger, Leupold Mk AR scope. Best ground hog shot was 240 yards - measured with my range finder before I pulled the trigger. I love to watch my Shooting Sports kids shoot it. A good rifle which is pretty inexpensive to shoot.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
S&W Model 657. Not because of the power since I shoot low-power reloads in it. But because it's very accurate and I shoot it better than anything else I have. Everybody either has a gun that fits them perfectly, or they are looking for it. For me I think it's 6" heavy barrel N-frames. It's a combination of grip size and weight/balance and it's different for everybody.

Isn't that why we buy all these guns? We're looking for something?

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
Probably my Ruger MkII. First semiautomatic I ever owned where I didn’t have to reload it after 6 rounds - that was 1985 so well over half a lifetime ago.

To the OP, I was also raised with a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag but have long since handed that down to my oldest son. It was scoped very soon after I got it and it was my venison taking rifle for > 40 years.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A tie between my Feg SA-85M and the Calico M100S. The first time I ever went to the range with the Calico, I could not believe that I shot 100 rounds flawlessly as fast as I could with no issues, at all. Blew my mind. I think it was sometime during the late 80s when I got that. It had the wooden thumb hole stock. Beautiful. Irving, TX gun dealer stole it from me. My Feg also had a thumb hole stock… blonde wood.. Most dependable blonde I ever knew. ✌

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Easy.

A 1906 vintage Winchester Model 1901 when shooting hand rolled BP shells through it.

32 inch barrel, full choke and hits like a lightning bolt from on high. I have reset knockdown targets with it (knock it down hard enough that it bounces back upright) and I have to ask if I hit clays with it because they just become a momentary smudge on the sky if I hit it flush.

It's my main match CAS shotgun for a reason.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Smiling as I write this - it's a very old Stephens 16 ga single shot shotgun that belonged to my Great Grandfather. What makes me smile is that the stock is nicely wired together and covered in some black cloth tape from around 1909 era. He broke the stock defending himself from a mean sow that attacked him in the barnyard. I've never shot it (bad shape), but I can imagine the language that went with the broken stock.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
It was 1975. My wife and I had gotten a large income tax return, $317 which was big money for us back then, And we wanted to buy a brand new handgun. We went down to whites drugstore in town. Right there in the glass case on the 1st shelf was the prettiest handgun I had ever seen. It was a Smith and Wesson model 19 .357 magnum with a 4" barrel. I was in love! My wife said that it felt too big and heavy for her but if that's the one I wanted we should buy it, We could get one for her next time. We took that gun home for $278! 44 years later it's still puts a smile on my face every time I shoot it.

Don

·
Administrator
39,693 Posts
Mine have all put a smile on my face at one time or another. Currently, it's my Glock 19. Makes me look like a decent shooter every time I take it out. That puts the smile on my face! :D:

·
Registered
24,600 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
At one time I'd said the custom P-9 that Les Baer delivered to New Philla gun and sport.

However, my Ruger MKIII .22/45 LITE with the Volquartsen action coupled with my AAC Element II still does for the last 4 years.

Maloy

1 - 20 of 76 Posts