Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I puchased my PT145 milpro last december and was released to me january 2007. On one side of the slide there's a Millennium and taurus' logo printed on it and on the other side PT145PRO. the serial number is printed on the slide and also on the chamber, and ithe serial# starts with "N". The receiver has rails, it is a SA/DA. i hope you guys could tell me what gen do i have. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Call Taurus customer service. All you have to do is give them the serial number and they can tell you when it was manufactured.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
You have a 3rd Gen gun... check the info in the FAQ section for the varriations. Enjoy... you've got a good gun! My gun seems to like the 185 gr bullets with no difference between LSWC or JHP.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Mine loves the 185 gr HP in about any configuration I've found... XTP Hornody, Remington, and even Rainer HP's... you can guess I hand load. 230 ball and JHP shoot OK... the 185 just drops more quickly back on target for easy double or triples.

·
32,492 Posts
The manual says no, but the 2007 catalog says yes about using +P ammo in PT145s and other Tauri. Calls to Taurus usually get a no rating.

While the pistol and cartridge do need some help because of the velocity of the caliber and the gun's abbreviated barrel, +P is not a good idea for a number of reasons stated in threads on this board or in other boards .

+P being loaded to higher pressures means that the frame and internal parts are being subjected to much higher stresses. This causes battering of internal parts, of the frame, and accelerates wear and tear on the pistol. All this for minimal gain in velocity.

The newer generation of bullets are designed to deform at low velocities approximatlely at a speed above 650 feet per second.

Standard bullet weight which the .45ACP was initially designed around is in the 230 grain class.

Lighter bullets from 185-200grains can do everything better than the sedate 230 loads can. These are designed to expand faster, but still have adequate penetration of the target.

Velocity for the 185-200 grain loads are also correspondingly higher than the 230 grainers.

So one can get close to +P performance without all the drawbacks stated so far.

Recovery times between shots, if needed, is shorter with standard rounds than with +P. If the criminal needs to be stopped with more than one round of accurate fire, one can be back on target quicker for more shots.

Last but not least. Felt recoil and muzzle flash are more intense with +P ammo. This may not bother some. Then again, it is a factor to be considered. Night vision could be affected as well as muzzle blast could being disorienting.

These are possible handicaps that could prove harmful, if not fatal.

Sticking with standard pressure loads with excellent real world track records seems to be indicated here.

Choose what you will, but please do some research into this other than taking our word at a forum.

Cimarron was stating all that in a shorter format than what is written here and just in a different way. ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts