1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If there is no room within the law for intent, then there is no room for justice.

Reactions: MadKaw

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
This will teach the young man that Gwinnett County School teachers are friggin idiots! It's too bad our public school administrators do not have a no tolerance policy for stupid teachers!

Reactions: Divebum

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
"The student accidently brought a inch and a half long pocket knife to school" and this was classified as a weapon? Every single day since I started wearing pants I have had a pocket knife in my pocket, Its a Tool not a weapon. A weapon would have at least a 3.5in blade, the liberals just make me sick with what they have done to my country.

1 USA & Cross.gif

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It teaches the kid that sometimes it's best for everyone involved to just keep his mouth shut. A good lesson for when he get's married or has a girlfriend who asks, "does this make my butt look big?" ;)

This is the result of a zero tolerance policy. The kid has to be punished, that's just the way it is. Otherwise it shows tolerance. If you accidentally took a pocket knife onto an airplane (assuming you could), would you tell anyone? I sure as heck wouldn't!

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
You can't even make a sarcastic remark these days without someone thinking you're a terrorist. A kid that used to work with me had to go to court and put on probation for making a remark about a picture another student saw him drawing of the school blowing up. When the other student told the teacher, school police were called and arrested him for terroristic threats. Things are getting out of hand IMO.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Unfortunately, it teaches that being honest sometimes gets you punished not for the deed but for the honesty.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Look at the caliber of a large faction of Atlanta's teachers; seversl hunderd of which recently got slammed for lying about student test scores.

·
Registered
27,135 Posts
Seems like we're all on the same page. Since we can't do anything about Gwinnett County, I hope we all fight this fight in our home district. This stupidity is taking over our country. Remember the woman who couldn't get on a plane because her purse had a picture of a gun?
More victims of zero tolerance:
Alexa Gonzalez, New York high school student handcuffed and arrested for doodling on her desk with an erasable marker.
Chelsea Fraser also arrested for drawing on her desk.
Dennis Rivera arrested and committed to a psych ward after throwing a tantrum in his kindergarten.

A study by the Council Of State Governments Justice Center found that 6 out of 10 Texas students are expelled or suspended at least once, most for very minor infractions.

How many of you are old enough to remember when this was a country of free men?

Edit: Oh yeah, what it teaches you is to keep your freakin' mouth shut.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
In school suspension? My wife's nephew lived with us for a while and got in a little trouble at school. They gave him 3 days of in school suspension. My wife asked when the suspension was effective and told them she'd just keep him home for those three days. They weren't happy but she made her point by keeping him home

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
It teaches the kid that sometimes it's best for everyone involved to just keep his mouth shut. A good lesson for when he get's married or has a girlfriend who asks, "does this make my butt look big?" ;)

This is the result of a zero tolerance policy. The kid has to be punished, that's just the way it is. Otherwise it shows tolerance. If you accidentally took a pocket knife onto an airplane (assuming you could), would you tell anyone? I sure as heck wouldn't!
This is sort of like the fellow who recently was stopped at the check point at the airport for conceal carrying a handgun. He said he forgot he was wearing it, but he still had to suffer the consequences of having it on his person.

Experience can be a tough teacher.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The "ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY simply eliminates the teachers and school administrators from having to use their simple little minds to rationalize any situations ona case by case basis. After all that would mean that they would have to think and many of them are not capable of thinking rationally!!!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The "ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY simply eliminates the teachers and school administrators from having to use their simple little minds to rationalize any situations ona case by case basis. After all that would mean that they would have to think and many of them are not capable of thinking rationally!!!!
While I pretty much agree with this. It also eliminates a lot of the lawsuits that the school system would have to fight (that they cannot afford) because of our overly-litigious society. Not saying zero tolerance is a good thing, but it came about for a reason.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
What could this kind of B.S. teach a child?
Silence is golden.
Trust no one.
Government and people in positions of power are not here to help you, they are only here to punish.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
No good dead goes unpunished.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
While I pretty much agree with this. It also eliminates a lot of the lawsuits that the school system would have to fight (that they cannot afford) because of our overly-litigious society. Not saying zero tolerance is a good thing, but it came about for a reason.
Yes, it did. For the reason of students harming / maiming / killing other students and / or faculty members with weapons.

If radical Islamic terrorists had not boarded planes on September 11, 2001 armed with box cutters, we would not have the Department of Homeland Security and TSA today.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It amazes me how schools and society have changed when I was in school. Hell In metal shop (7th grade) I made a curved hunting knife for skinning, then in wood shop (8th grade) I made a nice dyed oak handle for it and both years having it in my backpack all day. Then in high school I made a new stock for my dads hunting rifle, a stock for one of my .22s. All that I had to do was have my parents talk to the principal to let them know I was bringing it (it stayed in my locker in wood shop room) and there was no problem. Its ridiculous how people now days have turned alot of things against the rules, its like people dont remember how we all grew up when things were much more laid back and very little BS.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It amazes me how schools and society have changed when I was in school. Hell In metal shop (7th grade) I made a curved hunting knife for skinning, then in wood shop (8th grade) I made a nice dyed oak handle for it and both years having it in my backpack all day. Then in high school I made a new stock for my dads hunting rifle, a stock for one of my .22s. All that I had to do was have my parents talk to the principal to let them know I was bringing it (it stayed in my locker in wood shop room) and there was no problem. Its ridiculous how people now days have turned alot of things against the rules, its like people dont remember how we all grew up when things were much more laid back and very little BS.
:eek: That would have been considered absolute lunacy at my middle and high schools. I would have been expelled with no second thoughts.

In reality, the current system, and the condition of our society that caused it, are lunacy. I would give most anything to have grown up in the more "civilized" time that so many members here did.

·
Registered
27,135 Posts
And yet, somehow, you kept from shooting your entire shop class and then dismembering them with your knife! Truly a miracle in self control that is obviously beyond kids today.
Anyway, shouldn't knives be straight? Whenever I bend one I try to straighten it. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts