Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm going to do it. Pick up a 605. Does it only shoot the .357 or the .38 special as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
All .357 maggies will accept any .38 Special load as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
All .357 maggies will accept any .38 Special load as well.
Be warned, though, that if you shoot .38s in it, you will need to clean the chambers well, as it will build up residue inside them at the end of the .38 hull, which can cause trouble getting .357s chambered properly. I've had this happen from as little as 50rds when shooting lead bullets over Unique. Brush well with Hoppes or Blue Wonder to get most of it out, and Flitz on a patch wrapped brush works well for getting the last bit.

The solution is to load .357 hulls to .38 pressures for practice. I like to make sure I put 10-20 full magnums through the gun at the end of a practice session both to keep myself familiar with the recoil, and to make sure that my carry gun isn't going to have that problem if I need it on the way home.

Once you're used to the 605 with full magnums, it's quite comfortable to shoot with .38+P, though I've quit bothering with them for a carry load since the 125gr .357Mag Gold Dot loads are plenty controllable with practice.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My 605 doesn't like 38spl ammo less than 125gn. The longer the bullet, the better for accuracy. It seems as though the shorter bullets slam into the forcing cone and get a bit deformed before entering the barrel. 158's shoot the best and are less prone to tumbling or keyholing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not reloading but have had similar accuracy and lead fouling issues with 38's in my 2" 605. Until these posts I hadn't really thought of the difference with 38's and .357's. Good information.

·
Registered
878 Posts
captainamerica said:
I'm not reloading but have had similar accuracy and lead fouling issues with 38's in my 2" 605. Until these posts I hadn't really thought of the difference with 38's and .357's. Good information.
This is primarily why my last several revolver purchases have been 38spl. 38's just shoot better in a gun designed for them, and it's all I shoot anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts